Small project with jOOQ, Liquibase, Spring Transactions and various databases

Adam Zell

Jun 14, 2016, 1:38:16 AM6/14/16
to jOOQ User Group
Hello,

I created a Maven project to show the process from soup to nuts: https://github.com/azell/jooq-combined

* Liquibase is the migration framework that uses H2 to auto-generate jOOQ code into a JAR
* Application code layers Spring Transactions on top of the JAR for various CRUD operations
* The TestNG unit tests exercise several dialects for embedded databases

Any bugs or suggestions appreciated.

Lukas Eder

Jun 21, 2016, 9:41:12 AM6/21/16
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adam,

Thank you very much for sharing this. This looks very interesting. A nice addition to our existing Flyway examples.

I'm curious: What made you choose Liquibase?
Also, given that you have experience with Liquibase and jOOQ: I'm personally curious. Is there any potential that jOOQ's DDL support could replace Liquibase here?

Adam Zell

Jun 21, 2016, 4:46:35 PM6/21/16
to jOOQ User Group
Greetings,

I have used Liquibase previously with success, and preferred its SQL-agnostic migrations versus Flyway.  Personally I did not want to remember the minutiae for auto-incremented PKs versus sequences, etc. as my projects tend to use an embedded database for unit tests (H2, HSQL), and a different database for integration tests.  My tables have been simple enough to get away with this.

In terms of DDL, almost all of my Liquibase logic is expressed in XML or YAML.  jOOQ DDL would be interesting if there was a non-Java DSL or there was a tool to automate the Liquibase script to Java code.

Lukas Eder

Jun 27, 2016, 11:36:02 AM6/27/16
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

Thanks a lot for this feedback. Yes, that makes sense. If you want to abstract over things like identities and sequences, I suspect Liquibase does offer additional value over both Flyway and jOOQ.

Hmm, there are currently no plans to implement a non-SQL DSL outside of the existing Java DSL. I can see how it makes sense for migrations, but that's not the primary use-case for jOOQ. So I guess there isn't any low hanging fruit right now for additional jOOQ features.

Thanks again for this insight, very useful!
Lukas