Managing stored procedure versions

Gian

Apr 2, 2015, 6:00:48 AM4/2/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Good morning all,

In order to better manage and streamline the introduction of jOOQ into our project
we're thinking of automated management of version control. This would allow us
to 'hand-shake' and trigger the generation of jOOQ objects only at the right moment.

There are various tools such as dbdeploy and flywaydb allowing this version management,
but they are not so strong in managing stored (PL/SQL) procedures versions. The
latter is the most important use case in our case.

Do you have experience with this and would you go for an out of the box solution?

Personally I'm inclined to build a custom simple solution...

Best regards,

Gian

Lukas Eder

Apr 2, 2015, 6:28:48 AM4/2/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gian,

For many usecases, we usually recommend Flyway as the integration with jOOQ can be done seamlessly:

But I understand your use-case is a more specific one... I haven't used this myself, but there is Git for PL/SQL developers! And it's called http://www.gitora.com. I'll see if I can get the vendor to chime in and talk about the advantages of using gitora.

Of course, other list members are invited to chime in as well!

Cheers,
Lukas

yalim....@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2015, 9:42:56 AM4/2/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gian,

Gitora is a free tool that helps developers bridge the Oracle Database and Git. You are welcomed to try it for your use case. Gitora is specifically designed to handle PL/SQL and it can manage triggers as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I'd be happy to help.

Kind Regards,
Yalim

Gian

Apr 2, 2015, 9:57:54 AM4/2/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com, yalim....@gmail.com
Good afternoon Yalim & Lukas,

Thanks for chiming in ;)

A brief description of our case...in our project we are relying heavily on PL/SQL db objects, it is basically the business layer on which the higher layers hook on. In this db layer the stored procedures form the interface and tables/views are hidden.

What I'm looking for is a solution that allow us to version database objects and more specifically packages but not necessarily tables/views. If the version number is retrievable by our automated continuous build/deployment we would then know when to trigger the generation of jOOQ code.

Do you think this is possible?

Thank you, kind regards,

Gian

"Yalım K. Gerger"

Apr 2, 2015, 11:18:09 AM4/2/15
to Gian, jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gian,

Yes I suppose so. You can commit packages to git using Gitora. At that point each package spec and body has a commit code in Git and the ball is in your court to do whatever you want to do with them.

Kind Regards,
Yalim

Gian

Apr 2, 2015, 1:05:05 PM4/2/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com, giandin...@gmail.com, yalim....@gmail.com
Hi Yalim,

Thanks. Do you know whether Gitora stores version information in the database itself?

Kind regards,

Gian

Yalim K. Gerger

Apr 2, 2015, 1:09:08 PM4/2/15
to Gian, jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gian,

No Gitora does not store the version information in the database. It uses Git for version control purposes.

Gitora is just a bridge between Oracle and Git. This way you can use many robust version control features of Git for PL/SQL.

Kind Regards,
Yalim