PostgreSQL 9.5 features

Oleg Oleynik

Jul 14, 2015, 3:59:29 AM7/14/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I've just tried new PostgreSQL 9.5 alpha 1 with its great features like row-level security, insert...on conflict do nothing/update an so on. When JOOQ will have full support of that stuff? Next 3.7 realease or maybe later? What I can do if I want to help JOOQ with developing that features?

Lukas Eder

Jul 14, 2015, 5:18:34 AM7/14/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your message. Indeed, we were equally excited to see support for UPSERT in PostgreSQL. Finally!

The relevant feature request is this one here:

I don't think that this issue will generate a lot of work for us. However, merging pull requests from the jOOQ Open Source Edition back into the commercial editions is a bit tedious, so I think that in this particular case, your encouragement and enthusiasm is already enough help :)

Of course, we're always very happy to get feedback and ideas here on the list. For instance, did you think about how jOOQ could add support for PostgreSQL's row-level security feature?

Cheers,
Lukas

Hi all!

I've just tried new PostgreSQL 9.5 alpha 1 with its great features like row-level security, insert...on conflict do nothing/update an so on. When JOOQ will have full support of that stuff? Next 3.7 realease or maybe later? What I can do if I want to help JOOQ with developing that features?

Oleg Oleynik

Jul 14, 2015, 6:09:08 AM7/14/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention about GROUPING SETS (ROLLUP, CUBE) and SKIP LOCKED features in my post above ;) That's also great features!

How about supporting PostgreSQL's CREATE POLICY and ENABLE ROW LEVEL SECURITY statements?

Lukas Eder

Jul 14, 2015, 6:24:59 AM7/14/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention about GROUPING SETS (ROLLUP, CUBE) and SKIP LOCKED features in my post above ;) That's also great features!

Yes, those are also listed in #4299 and will be easy to support. Just add POSTGRES_9_5 to the list of dialects in the relevant @Support annotation :)

How about supporting PostgreSQL's CREATE POLICY and ENABLE ROW LEVEL SECURITY statements?

I don't think that these vendor-specific DDL statements should be supported natively by jOOQ. There are an awful lot of such statements. Adding (and maintaining) support in the DSL for all of them would be a lot of work.

I thought that perhaps you might have had any idea about how to leverage row-level security at run time. Perhaps there's some hidden gem - although I cannot think of one right now.

Cheers,
Lukas

Ben Hood

Jul 15, 2015, 7:52:59 AM7/15/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oleg,
Just an FYI for people using Travis to test their JOOQ/Postgres apps,
Travis are in the process of adding support for 9.5 in their platform:
https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-build/pull/474.

I'm planning on making some long term 9.5 branches for a couple of
apps that I maintain. That way the process of porting JOOQ code to 9.5
can be done bit by bit, and we can give feedback in case any bugs
surface prior to the actual release.

Cheers,

Ben

Lukas Eder

Jul 15, 2015, 8:03:53 AM7/15/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ben. That feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Ben Hood

Jul 16, 2015, 4:53:31 AM7/16/15
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lukas,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Lukas Eder <lukas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm planning on making some long term 9.5 branches for a couple of
>> apps that I maintain. That way the process of porting JOOQ code to 9.5
>> can be done bit by bit, and we can give feedback in case any bugs
>> surface prior to the actual release.
>

> Thanks, Ben. That feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for not being clear: I was referring to bugs that are likely to
surface in the server, seeing as the UPSERT feature is quite a major
change for the write path. But of course, it will also give good test
coverage for JOOQ itself :-)

Cheers,

Ben

Lukas Eder