jumpy top nav!

Catherine

Nov 5, 2009, 12:57:06 PM11/5/09
to New England Joomla! User Group
http://agstewardship.accountsupport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=8

Above is a link to my first joomla site. You'll see that the top nav,
when you refresh or go to a new page (the homepage isn't set yet!), is
shoved to the left side while the page loads and then jumps to
position. It is really bothering me and I can't figure out what to do
to fix it. I'm using an extension called Superfish Dropdown Menu for
joomla and everything else is working fine. I'm pretty sure it has
something to do with the custom width setting because when I disable
it the nav looks like it does when it is squished. I'm just wondering
if there is something I can do to fix this or minimize the jumpiness.

Catherine

Andrea Tarr at Tarr Consulting

Nov 5, 2009, 4:46:28 PM11/5/09
to joom...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked the support for that extension on the website for the
extension or a post in the Joomla.org forums? I would guess it's a timing
issue on how the javascript is outputting.

I haven't used the extension -- someone else may have used it and have a
more useful idea.

Andrea Tarr
www.tarrconsulting.com

Nov 6, 2009, 6:57:12 AM11/6/09
to New England Joomla! User Group
I installed the Superfish extension but couldn't figure out how to use
it, so Catherine is way ahead of me. My point being that documentation
was not readily available.

It looks like some delay in applying the styles. The menu appears and
then a couple seconds later the styles get applied. It might have
something to do with unpublishing the default Main Menu. Maybe two
menus are appearing with Superfish menu appearing second. But that's a
really wild guess.

All the best,

Mark

On Nov 5, 12:57 pm, Catherine <clitt...@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> http://agstewardship.accountsupport.com/index.php?option=com_content&...

Catherine

Nov 6, 2009, 12:47:54 PM11/6/09
to New England Joomla! User Group
Thanks for the replies, Andrea and Mark.

After playing around a bit I tried removing the background image that
I have rotating below the nav. And that made the nav load perfectly.
It feels like true confession time as I explain what I have going on
here. I created a module position called headerbreadcrumbs and added
a module called Amplify Title Mod. This module takes the article
title and puts it in a module that can be placed anywhere in your
template. In the stylesheet I call a rotate.php file in the
background area and it rotates through a bunch of images.

#headerbreadcrumbs {
background-image:url(../images/rotate.php);
color:#FFFFFF;
float:left;
font-family:Times New Roman,georgia,serif;
font-size:53px;
height:45px;
margin:5px 0 0;
padding:120px 0 20px 10px;
width:831px;
}

I'm assuming this is not the best way to do this because of the result
I'm getting but I couldn't find any other way to do it after much
searching. I wanted a way to have a page title banner without the
client having to create a banner every time an article was created.
Anyone have a better way to accomplish this?

Catherine

luciano991

Nov 6, 2009, 12:51:17 PM11/6/09
to New England Joomla! User Group
Catherine,

I must say that your post made me go and take a second look at the
SuperFish extension and I'm glad I did.

But I found two forums where you might look for some answers. One is a
Google Group: http://tinyurl.com/5htn7j and the author of SuperFish
answers questions there. Just put Superfish somewhere in the subject
line of your post.

Also try here: http://joomla.lifeofcy.com/index.php. I am waiting for
a couple of answers myself.

All the best,

Mark
On Nov 5, 12:57 pm, Catherine <clitt...@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> http://agstewardship.accountsupport.com/index.php?option=com_content&...

Catherine

Nov 11, 2009, 7:49:00 AM11/11/09
to New England Joomla! User Group
It turns out that most of the problem comes from the size of the
images that are loading. I'm working out the best way to optimize
them and hope that works! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Catherine