time to say goodbye

Jacques Rentzke

Feb 14, 2014, 3:04:24 PM2/14/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
hi everyone

My term on the board of Open Source Matters (OSM) has now officially ended.

I've had the privileged to serve on the OSM board, and in the Joomla
leadership for the past 4 years.

A lot has changed during that time in the Joomla community and in
technology.

Most changes were for the better.

The finances of the Joomla! Project (as managed by OSM) is now in a much
healthier state then when I joined the board in 2010. The leadership
teams worked well together on the budget, and things keep on improving
thanks to the guidance of our Treasurers.

There's new energy in the Marketing Team, and each year there's more
JoomlaDays that reaches more people.

We can look back at two successful Joomla World Conferences, and the
community-organized Jandbeyond event is still going strong. Outreach to
tech events is also increasing.

On the production side the PLT has expanded, with energetic and talented
individuals in charge of two CMS releases (in many languages) and a
Framework (that's starting to get the attention it deserves).

I believe the Project there is in strong hands, with people who want the
best for both the current Jooma users and future users of the Joomla CMS
and Framework.

In the Trademark area, we moved away from a confrontational approach, to
a more supportive one. This is the area I had responsibility in, and I
admit that more could have been done faster there.

I'm however very happy with our choice of new Trademark Team Manager,
and believe that he will soon get things back on track in that area of
the project.

The Community Leadership Team (CLT) just finished their elections, and
elected very capable people who have proved their dedication and
enthusiasm for the Joomla Project. I wish them success with the projects
they have planned.

No doubt there's many other talented people who serve in different
capacities in the various Joomla teams and working groups, and their
contributions are appreciated just as much, if not more. (a lot of the
hard volunteer work is not very glamorous)

A final thank you to those I have served with in the Joomla leadership,
and on the OSM board. There's been good times and hard times, but more
good times.

It was a pleasure to meet most of you at Joomla! events all over the world.

Thank you for your volunteering. Joomla! is an important tool that many
business (big and small), non-profit and commercial rely on, and your
dedication and hard work is to be commended.

Thank you also to the many people I've come in contact with in the
various teams I've served in. Joomla! is a diverse melting pot of
cultures and ideas, and this diversity is what makes the project
strong. Each volunteer plays an important role to make Joomla better,
and expand its reach into all cultures and languages.

I'm feeling a bit sad to say goodbye, but I'll remain involved behind
the scenes, and in my local community in South Africa.

Totsiens, en beste wense vir almal. :-)

regards,

--
Jacques Rentzke
Open Source Matters, Inc.

Nick Savov

Feb 14, 2014, 3:41:02 PM2/14/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for everything you've done, Jacques! You will be missed in leadership. It's been a pleasure serving along side you.

Best wishes,
Nick

Paul Orwig

Feb 14, 2014, 3:52:28 PM2/14/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jacques for your service to the project and the community. I wish you all the best for what lies ahead for you, personally and professionally.

Regards,

paul

Radek Suski

Feb 14, 2014, 4:45:59 PM2/14/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jacques for your support and everything you’ve done for the project :)
Was a pleasure to meet you ad work with you :)

Regards,
Radek

Radek Suski
Open Source Matters, Inc
Board Member | Events Team Co-Leader | OSM to JED liaison

Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | : http://radek.sigsiu.net

Marijke Stuivenberg

Feb 14, 2014, 8:49:37 PM2/14/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jacques,

Thanks Jacques for the way you have always been a route sign within OSM when it came to questions how things are arranged or organized.
Thanks for being that person that always found another crucial question that we overlooked.
Thanks for serving in so many roles on the board.
Thanks for always being available to get feedback.
Thanks for listening to me.
Thanks for discussing with me.
Thanks for trusting me.
Thanks for working with me on a number of projects.
Thanks for sometimes offering your shoulder to cry on.
Thanks for helping me out where it came to whisper all the secret keys at the right places ;)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, your concerns, your jokes, and the things that happend in your live.

Thanks for serving on the board all those 4 years and offering your time for it.
But most of all, Thank you for being a friend! (and don't you dare to resign on that ;))

Hugs,
Marijke

Victor Drover

Feb 16, 2014, 5:12:15 PM2/16/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Thank-you for all your efforts over the years and of course everything you will help with going forward.

And good luck of course in your "civilian" life. Enjoy all the free time you will now have :)

Warm Regards,

Victor Drover
Treasurer, Open Source Matters
Member, Joomla Events Team
262-309-4140
 @VicDrover

joe.sonne

Feb 16, 2014, 5:51:09 PM2/16/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com, jacques...@opensourcematters.org
Jacques,

I dont' have the history that others do who have been with you on OSM over the years because of the short time I have been here.

I appreciate that you spent time helping me when you didn't have to. Thank you for that.

I wish you all the best in your new endeavours. May they go well for you.

Best regards,

Joe Sonne
Open Source Matters, Inc.
Board Member | Capital Committee Chair | OSM Liaison to Marketing Working Group
http://opensourcematters.org/

Peter Martin

Feb 17, 2014, 4:45:15 AM2/17/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com, jacques...@opensourcematters.org
Thanks for all your work over the years Jacques!

I'm sure we'll meet again on the net or IRL (with a beer, you'll bring the biltong & me the stroopwafels)!

Greetings,
Peter

Alice Grevet

Feb 17, 2014, 6:36:59 AM2/17/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jacques,

Thanks for being so supportive of me for three-and-a-half years on OSM. I couldn’t have done my job without you. Thank you for your patience, your free sharing of information, and your help when I needed it.

An early memory after joining the board is of getting into a strong disagreement with you. We worked through that with respect and acceptance, and that’s how we’ve operated ever since. In the meantime a strong friendship grew and will remain.

You have a sharp mind with an attention to detail. You kept the legal dialogue going. You always wanted to understand things thoroughly to see all the implications for the project. You asked the questions nobody else thought of, or perhaps were afraid to ask!

No one got me to think more, or consider things from a new perspective, than you did.

Be well my friend,

Alice

Alice Grevet
Secretary
Open Source Matters, Inc.

Sarah Watz

Feb 18, 2014, 2:58:54 AM2/18/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Jacques,

Thanks for all your deep insights, continuously efforts, thoughtful questions and hard work on the OSM board.

I wish you all the best. Don't be a stranger :)

Best regards,

Sarah Watz
Open Source Matters, Inc.
Board Member | Joomla! Certification Steering Group Leader
http://opensourcematters.org/
Sarah Watz
Open Source Matters, Inc.
Board Member | Joomla! Certification Steering Group Leader
http://opensourcematters.org/

Javier Gomez

Feb 18, 2014, 7:03:00 AM2/18/14
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Jacques I remember when we started together serving OSM (http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/the-project/media-and-press-contact/75-press-releases/5260-joomla-surpasses-15-million-downloads-open-source-matters-expands-board-of-directors-.html). What a different times, isn't it? Since then things have changed a looooooot and you have been strong part of this change.

I want to say thanks to you for:
- your time dedicated to Joomla, I have seen you many times working until late hours.
- for taking responsibility on areas where we were weak, and we didn't have sometimes a candidate for them. You take responsibility of very hard tasks not for your fun but just for the good of the project.
- for making always sure that we were on the good direction

Joomla is definitely a stronger project after your dedication in the leadership. And I wish you stay close to the project.

I will miss you a lot in the next event my friend. But I wish to see you some day visiting me in Barcelona.

^_^