Thoughts about COC

Robert Deutz

Jul 28, 2015, 12:29:56 PM7/28/15
to Joomla Leadership Team
Hi fellow leadership members,

I would like to share my thoughts on the COC thing. I think the voting has mixed up a couple of different topics so that we had some confusion about what we are voting on. I have spent some time to sort this out again for myself maybe it helps others.

1) Code of Conduct
A COC is a set rules for social interaction and communication within a community. So this should be something easy to understand for everyone in our community. Having an international community with a majority of non native English speakers sets for me a requirement that this should be short and easy. I have already posted a link to the one I like [1] in another discussion. I can’t see something that the 8-pages document does more for the purpose of setting rules for interaction, so why make it so complicated. We also don’t need to put more into the document because of legal requirements, this is NOT the purpose of a COC.

2) One Pager
Not needed because the COC mentioned is shorter than the one pager.

3) Conflict Resolution Team Operating Procedures
I don’t think we have had many issues within the last 10 years. But I agree that we need something to handle conflicts. I think it is important that the team handling this is not inside our community. It sounds strange but there might be issues with leadership members involved. Looking back to my suggestion about the COC text, I think we should start an initiative. There are a lot of projects already supporting the mentioned COC, why not work together? We could get in contact with the other communities and suggest that we build a team of two people from each community that are handling issues for all involved communities. Best would be to set up a form where people could file complaints and the system send notification to (maybe) 5 people from the whole team (excluding the affected community). This team can handle the issue and my guess is that in 9 out of 10 they can handle the issue without getting in contact with the concerned community. If they can’t solve the problem they can do anything that is needed or get in contact with the affected community.

4) Conflict of interest
This is something we need rules for and a binding agreement within the Leadership. This has nothing to do with the other topics so it should handled separately, maybe with a team of ex-involved respected people. I must say don’t see it as a big issue.

That’s all.

Cheers,
Robert

[1] http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/2/0/