Leadership Summits

Sarah Watz

Feb 20, 2015, 9:23:39 AM2/20/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We have been discussing our coming Leadership Summits on our internal mailing list. Let’s continue our discussion on the open mailing list to make our thoughts on our Leadership Summit more transparent.

To summarize so far:

The discussion has been on how we can make our Leadership Summits more efficient and have as many leadership team members attending as possible at the summits.

Leadership Summits have been held before events at JAB and JWC recent years. Before that Leadership Summits have been held separately from events.

These are some of the thoughts that has been raised:

With an excellent, professional facilitator, absolutely no distractions (is it possible to find a hotel without Internet access these days?), a venue that keeps everyone together the whole time and enough uninterrupted time to work through all the issues.

Right now, especially with the restructure and budget season, it feels like Leadership Teams  is so disconnected from even each other that it looks like we are not united in our service to the Joomla community. In other words, it feels like 2009 all over again. I think now, more than ever, we should be in face-to-face contact with the community at the larger events.

The pros for separate Leadership Summit:

  • Potentially more effective

  • We have no distractions (no-one is organizing the upcoming event, no-one is preparing a session, no other team meetings with working groups etc)

  • Everybody is fresh because there's no event before or after.

  • The time commitment is shorter.

The pros / cons for Combining Leadership Summit with an event that has come up so far are:

  • We have a limit budget and combining a Leadership Summit with an event might save money if a significant number of people travel there anyway.

Potential cost savings would only make sense if the assumption is that all Leadership Team members would attend all major Joomla Events even if the Leadership Summit is not held in combination.

The traveling policy is different from each leadership team. For example OSM current policy is to only cover send 1 representative to events if invited  and if 2 are invited there can be 50% coverage from OSM and 50% coverage from the event. So if Leadership Summits are not combined with an event it is not clear how many from OSM will be attending events like JAB or JWC because there are no invitations done by these events. The reason for these rules is that OSM has an extremely limited budget and OSM needs to make sure spending is well balanced and in proper respect of the funds OSM has.

  • Leadership team members could get a chance to listen to the opinion of community members.

  • The length of time required is too long at one time for some to be away from family or work.

  • If we combine Leadership Summits with events we have discussed that it would be a solution to have a day break between the Event and the Leadership Summits to come more refreshed to the meetings.

Any other thoughts?

With warmth,
Sarah

Sarah Watz
President, Open Source Matters, Inc.
http://opensourcematters.org/

Ronni Christiansen

Feb 20, 2015, 12:17:12 PM2/20/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
The cost of doing 2 x LT summits at JAB and JWC would be around 80-100k USD (around 15% of our total budget).

The cost of doing 1 x independant LT summit outside of events would be around 40-50k (around 7,5% of our total budget).

As doing a LT summit Means that all travel, stay and event ticket is covered for LT members - there is no saving at all - unless the LT members would be traveling on project cost anyways.

As OSM has a very clear policy for traveling and attending Joomla events there would not be any savings on OSM - PLT and CLT budget individually and if there where savings it would be up to their budgeting.

Beyond that maybe its worth mentioning that LT summit or not both JWC and JAB will be attended by multiple LT members - so there will be representation and a way for the community to give input.