Idea: Short survey of current leadership composition

Jeremy Wilken

Mar 28, 2012, 11:05:11 PM3/28/12
to joomla-leadersh...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking it might be valuable to get some data about the current leadership team individuals. I would like to ask everyone questions such as:
  1. What is your current position?
  2. How long have you been at your current position?
  3. How many other positions have you held in the leadership?
  4. What is your primary use of Joomla?
  5. What country are you from?
  6. Does your job or business use Joomla?
  7. What is your primary interest in Joomla? (with a list of primary categories to select from)
  8. Open to other ideas
The reason I think this will be valuable is to help us and the leadership better grasp the current team. What do you think? Do you have additional questions? The idea is they are simple and easy to calculate so we could generate some stats from it.

jmcoonen

Mar 29, 2012, 11:06:17 AM3/29/12
to joomla-leadersh...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy, I like it. Maybe we send it from our Research Group, and let them know we're doing a series of surveys? This is a great SHORT survey, to get raw data. I think it's valuable information as well. I think we could perhaps shape a followup survey that provides more opinion and directional data?

Jeremy Wilken

Mar 29, 2012, 11:08:36 AM3/29/12
to joomla-leadersh...@googlegroups.com
The idea is our group would send it, and that we get simple data (quantitative) we can easily build stats upon. Any suggestions on the specific questions? I'm sure we can get it sent to each current member as a Google Form.

Javier Gomez

Mar 29, 2012, 5:15:16 PM3/29/12
to Joomla Project Structure Working Group
I love the idea, If we convert it in a Google Docs form or similar I
can share it in the leadership list.

Can we add a question that ask in what team apart from the leadership
position participates that member? for example, in my case I'm in OSM
but also in the Trademark Team and other teams.

Will you agree that the goal of this survey is to have a better
knowledge about the team leaders and the leadership structure?
On the other hand I think that the results should not be open to the
public. Because we don't want to put personal names. But we can do
some statistics to show interesting details about the leaders tasks.
For example, maybe we discover that a big percentatge of OSM leaders
are volunteers in working groups under the PLT (this is invented).

Jeremy Wilken

Mar 29, 2012, 8:57:43 PM3/29/12
to joomla-leadersh...@googlegroups.com
I love the idea, If we convert it in a Google Docs form or similar I
can share it in the leadership list.

If anyone has suggestions for more questions, or thinks any of these needs some clarification please speak up. It would be good to get this sent out asap.

Can we add a question that ask in what team apart from the leadership
position participates that member? for example, in my case I'm in OSM
but also in the Trademark Team and other teams.

That is a good question, I've added it!

Will you agree that the goal of this survey is to have a better
knowledge about the team leaders and the leadership structure?
On the other hand I think that the results should not be open to the
public. Because we don't want to put personal names. But we can do
some statistics to show interesting details about the leaders tasks.

We can withhold names from the results if it is a concern, but I don't know why. If we are an open source project, we should be open about our leaders's roles in the project.

I agree, the goal of the survey is to get a high level view of the people rather than looking at individuals. We may find that 40% of the leadership holds some other role outside of leadership (such as on JED team or a translation team), and that would be helpful for everyone as we assess roles, responsibilities, and what the current situation is like.

Jeremy Wilken

Apr 2, 2012, 8:34:35 PM4/2/12
to joomla-leadersh...@googlegroups.com
Do we have any other questions? If not, then lets get it out for the leadership to take this week.

Javier Gomez

Apr 3, 2012, 6:42:57 PM4/3/12
to Joomla Project Structure Working Group
Jeremy,

1.- I will add a field asking if this member belongs to CoC (Community
Oversight Committee).
2.- I will add the "other option" to the question "Do you use Joomla
professionally? *"

If you agree, you can add it and if no more comments come from other
members of the team I will share it in the leadership list.

Jeremy Wilken

Apr 3, 2012, 6:47:54 PM4/3/12
to joomla-leadersh...@googlegroups.com
I think everyone has had a chance to answer, I updated the form with your input and if you can send it to the leadership list, that would be great. Thanks!

Javier Gomez

Apr 3, 2012, 6:56:46 PM4/3/12
to Joomla Project Structure Working Group
I forgot to say thank you for the survey Jeremy. That's an excellent
work.

I also had another thing to add. I thought that we forgot to ask a
very important question:

- Do you agree that the proposed changes to our project’s leadership
structure in the last leadership summit can strengthen communication
and collaboration between teams, as well as improve oversight and
accountability for all contributors and teams?
( you can find the proposed changes at
http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/1503-proposed-leadership-structure-changes-and-request-for-community-feedback.htmlhttp://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/1503-proposed-leadership-structure-changes-and-request-for-community-feedback.html
)
Yes, No.

I think we could go in deep in this question in future survey, but is
very good to see the agreement of the leadership to the proposed
changes.

PS: could you add me to the edition of the poll.
PS2: recommended reading this good point shared by Brad in the
leadership list: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/joomla-leadership/XNjJZeBzg5g/yrctdir7yAoJ

On Apr 3, 4:42 pm, Javier Gomez <javier.go...@opensourcematters.org>

Jeremy Wilken

Apr 3, 2012, 7:35:16 PM4/3/12
to joomla-leadersh...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure we need that question, because they already voted on the proposal so it is implied at least a majority agree. I'll add you to the document.

Jeremy Wilken

Apr 6, 2012, 3:00:42 PM4/6/12
to joomla-leadersh...@googlegroups.com
Christine suggested we add a box to list the company you work with, which I thought was a useful idea at least for us to internally analyze. We discussed today that we would like to give 1 week to get this survey completed, so we would like responses by April 12. We should make sure the leadership knows about the survey and that they take it, can you help with that Javier?