Help Screens and API

George Wilson

Mar 18, 2013, 9:49:04 AM3/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,
 Couple of things to add my 2 cents into the whole docs project

Firstly the API side: I don't see the point in hosting the Joomla 1.6/Platform 11.1 API on the docs website. The functions (in all bar a handful of cases) don't have any user examples on and therefore are best left to the api site. Also half the links to the Joomla 1.6/Platform 11.1 now point towards the 2.5 lines of code anyhow - which is going to lead to confusion with dev's. I think there are some instances where people are going to mix the Joomla 1.7 platform (11.1) with the 2.5 platform (11.4) - as 11.1 is the latest on the docs site. This would also be in accordance with the ideas already floated to try and stop the support of STS versions - as we need to make people realise they need to upgrade to the LTS versions.

Secondly with the 2.5 help screens project - I'm going at guns to try and get these finished before the release of 3.1 imminently. If anyone has a few spare minutes - I've got a lot of articles that need screenshots being added to! http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Help_screens (see the right hand column which I've kept up to date with the progress of each article). It would be awesome if you guys do have any time to upload some screenshots to finish off these articles!!

Finally with the big new addition to 3.1 being the tagging - is there any way we can pull a very busy bug fixing Elin into the docs team for an hour to get either some help screens or some tags component integration stuff written in anticipation of the 3.1 launch. Hopefully get us slightly on the front foot before the next wave of people moaning about the lack of docs!!

Kind Regards,
George

Chris Davenport

Mar 18, 2013, 4:41:55 PM3/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

On 18 March 2013 13:49, George Wilson <georgeja...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Guys,
 Couple of things to add my 2 cents into the whole docs project

Firstly the API side: I don't see the point in hosting the Joomla 1.6/Platform 11.1 API on the docs website. The functions (in all bar a handful of cases) don't have any user examples on and therefore are best left to the api site. Also half the links to the Joomla 1.6/Platform 11.1 now point towards the 2.5 lines of code anyhow - which is going to lead to confusion with dev's. I think there are some instances where people are going to mix the Joomla 1.7 platform (11.1) with the 2.5 platform (11.4) - as 11.1 is the latest on the docs site. This would also be in accordance with the ideas already floated to try and stop the support of STS versions - as we need to make people realise they need to upgrade to the LTS versions.

I agree that it would be best to drop the API docs from the wiki.  I just didn't have time to update the software that generated those pages and I think that we can come up with a better solution that would allow user-contributed examples and comments anyway.  However, we have to be careful not to simply delete them all as some of those pages do contain useful information that is not available elsewhere.

Secondly with the 2.5 help screens project - I'm going at guns to try and get these finished before the release of 3.1 imminently. If anyone has a few spare minutes - I've got a lot of articles that need screenshots being added to! http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Help_screens (see the right hand column which I've kept up to date with the progress of each article). It would be awesome if you guys do have any time to upload some screenshots to finish off these articles!!

Great work by the way.  Well done.

Finally with the big new addition to 3.1 being the tagging - is there any way we can pull a very busy bug fixing Elin into the docs team for an hour to get either some help screens or some tags component integration stuff written in anticipation of the 3.1 launch. Hopefully get us slightly on the front foot before the next wave of people moaning about the lack of docs!!

I think you'd have to ask those who have been involved with developing and testing this new feature.  I haven't had chance to look at it myself.

Chris.

Kind Regards,
George

Chris Davenport
Joomla Production Leadership Team

Mark Dexter

Mar 18, 2013, 4:50:54 PM3/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Way to go George!!! We'll see if we can roust up some help to get
these puppies finished. Thanks! Mark

Tom

Mar 18, 2013, 7:43:31 PM3/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, jooml...@googlegroups.com

I've been tracking new help screens. I was waiting to see if the titles were flushed out right. Last time I looked at the tracker I created, the keys were resolving to pages with JHELP30 in title. We just need to make sure the language file matches and whatever is generating for the menu system. I think that's different but not sure.

I know Elin had a full plate with JBostonDay so I didn't push anything. I'll create the pages and add them to the help screen matrix for 3.0/3.1 if we are ok with the titles. I think we need a module page too for tags.

Tom

Tom

Mar 18, 2013, 8:38:15 PM3/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, jooml...@googlegroups.com
All-

On Mar 18, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Chris Davenport <chris.d...@joomla.org> wrote:

Hi George,

On 18 March 2013 13:49, George Wilson <georgeja...@googlemail.com>

I agree that it would be best to drop the API docs from the wiki.  I just didn't have time to update the software that generated those pages and I think that we can come up with a better solution that would allow user-contributed examples and comments anyway.  However, we have to be careful not to simply delete them all as some of those pages do contain useful information that is not available elsewhere.

We could lock them and display a notice.

Secondly with the 2.5 help screens project - I'm going at guns to try and get these finished before the release of 3.1 imminently. If anyone has a few spare minutes - I've got a lot of articles that need screenshots being added to! http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Help_screens (see the right hand column which I've kept up to date with the progress of each article). It would be awesome if you guys do have any time to upload some screenshots to finish off these articles!!

Great work by the way.  Well done.

George has been doing a terrific job on the Help25 screens!

I've thought about aliasing 1.6 and 1.7 to them. Not too sure I'm keen on that idea yet. Gives impression 1.6 and 1.7 are still supported. My other thought was creating a bot specifically to remove all content from these pages, put a notice of no support and then lock them. Idea would be, content really is still there in past revision. Bots edits could be reversed if need be.

Thoughts?

We really have multiple areas to address - clean up, version split and improve current pages are a few. Tutorials, new content, help screens....

A lot to do but we are making headway!

Tom

Mark Dexter

Mar 18, 2013, 8:55:47 PM3/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Tom, I wouldn't spend time on 1.6 and 1.7. If aliasing them to 2.5 is
easy, then I would do it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. We should not
divert precious hours to supporting these versions imo. My .02. Mark

Tom

Mar 18, 2013, 9:18:19 PM3/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, jooml...@googlegroups.com
Mark

Wasn't planning on it. Bot run would take 5 mins to setup. Nothing else on my part except a quick template, version no longer supported.

Tom

George Wilson

Mar 18, 2013, 9:45:56 PM3/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:38:15 AM UTC, Tom Hutchison wrote:
I agree that it would be best to drop the API docs from the wiki.  I just didn't have time to update the software that generated those pages and I think that we can come up with a better solution that would allow user-contributed examples and comments anyway.  However, we have to be careful not to simply delete them all as some of those pages do contain useful information that is not available elsewhere.

We could lock them and display a notice.

In all honesty theirs so little in the 1.6/1.7 API that I think its worth just deleting the pages all together - means minimal confusion to people. For example can we run a Bot to check for any deviations from the initial API setup - then if there have been any changes other than the line numbers of the references we can manually go through the rest and see what needs to stay and what can be binned. I think its more confusing having platform 11.1 docs there when 11.4 is what the majority of the people are going to be researching. If there is useful material perhaps we can just update the page to use 2.5 references. Or transfer it onto useful content page. I think it might be worth spending a little extra time on this to get it right!

N.B. I'm no expert to mediawiki so if this Bot is nigh on impossible to set up back to the drawing board!!
Secondly with the 2.5 help screens project - I'm going at guns to try and get these finished before the release of 3.1 imminently. If anyone has a few spare minutes - I've got a lot of articles that need screenshots being added to! http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Help_screens (see the right hand column which I've kept up to date with the progress of each article). It would be awesome if you guys do have any time to upload some screenshots to finish off these articles!!

I've thought about aliasing 1.6 and 1.7 to them. Not too sure I'm keen on that idea yet. Gives impression 1.6 and 1.7 are still supported. My other thought was creating a bot specifically to remove all content from these pages, put a notice of no support and then lock them. Idea would be, content really is still there in past revision. Bots edits could be reversed if need be.

If it doesn't take long - a no longer supported template would be awesome. I'm assuming when 3.0 becomes unsupported in a month + a bit's time we will do the same to Joomla 3.0?? We should also link them to a page explaining that 1.6/1.7 is 2.5 compatible in terms of code etc. Too many people still ask Q's on SO etc thinking that they can't upgrade from 1.6/1.7 because they will loose some kind of compatability!! We always talk about one click updates etc - but not necessarily about the compat issue - so would be nice to have a page saying this in my opinion.

We really have multiple areas to address - clean up, version split and improve current pages are a few. Tutorials, new content, help screens....

A lot to do but we are making headway!

 Agreed. I think once help screens are done it's going to be worth sitting down and figuring out a grand plan. We all know docs are one of the weaker aspects of Joomla (along side the bug tracker etc.) so we can really try and push hard now we (nearly) have the help screens up to date!!

Kind Regards,
George

Chris Davenport

Mar 19, 2013, 4:29:04 AM3/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

On 19 March 2013 01:45, George Wilson <georgeja...@googlemail.com> wrote:
[...]

Exactly my point.  It would need someone to do exactly that before they can be deleted, but I think there are more important priorities right now.

I think lock and display a notice would be the best strategy at this point.  We can revisit it at a later date.

Chris.

George Wilson

Mar 19, 2013, 6:18:06 AM3/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,
Fair enough - would we still be able to delete the pages then? Because if so I could always make a start on it when I've finished work on these help screens - or at least try and make a bot to delete pages which haven't been edited in the past - I've never done that before though - so it might take a while!!!

Also Tom with your list of help screens above - I realised when doing some screens for the langauge manager last night - that no one listed the "Extension Manager - Install Languages" Screen. I've added these to the Help25 and Help30 lists for now - and added some very basic things on the Help25 screen - but it needs to be written up properly. For the Help31 screens - the Options screens shouldn't be too hard - as I've made them all Chunk25's in the Help25 screens - so they should be reasonably easy to move across - it should just be the tags screens that will take a bit of time to get going.

Kind Regards,
George

George Wilson

Mar 22, 2013, 6:07:35 PM3/22/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Quick update on the 2.5 Help Screens:

The admin modules are completely blank (well have Joomla 1.5 stuff in - as good as blank). Note if you want to pick this up - please try and keep the same style that I have used for the Site modules :) would be nice to keep stuff consistent!

Of everything else I have - by and large finished the text side of things. A few items here and there need details sections to be finished. And a few components need an options screen to be completed - but otherwise I think everything is done

I spent a night uploading screenshots last night - however a lot more still need to be added. So please step upto the plate as I'm already sick to death of pressing print screen :p thanks Tom for the ones you did the other night!! Much appreciated

Reason I'm posting this is cause I'm off on holiday for the next week where I will be compute less (should have mobile signal if you guys have questions on here - but there won't be any help screen writing!!). So if anyone wants to take this across the finishing line whilst I'm away feel free. Else I'll start to finish it off on my return on the 1st April :)

Kind Regards,
George

Robert Vining

Mar 22, 2013, 6:45:04 PM3/22/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all your work George this will help thousands of people

Chris Davenport

Mar 23, 2013, 4:29:54 AM3/23/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Outstanding work George.  Well done. :-)

Chris.

On 22 March 2013 22:45, Robert Vining <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for all your work George this will help thousands of people

George Wilson

Mar 23, 2013, 7:54:51 AM3/23/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou! But it's not done yet :)

Kind Regards,
George

George Wilson

Apr 9, 2013, 5:23:34 PM4/9/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
2.5 Help screen update:
All screens are largely done and have at least a broad context with

There's 3 that I need help writing (that don't confirm to the above) - namely the database and language tabs in extension manager as I've never had to touch them:

and the banners tracks (http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Components_Banners_Tracks) as I've never touched the banners component and I'm not sure what the tracks is!!

To complete everything a lot of screenshots have to be finished - especially for the modules screens. Finally a few Component Parameter sections need finishing - but I can do this pretty quickly.

If people can give me some help with screenshots and those 3 pages above this should easily be able to be done before the 15th!

Kind Regards,
George

Mark Dexter

Apr 9, 2013, 5:50:23 PM4/9/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
I can do the database one (since I wrote it, I hope I understand it!). Mark

Tom

Apr 9, 2013, 5:56:35 PM4/9/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
That's great George!

I'll grab screenshots and get them uploaded tonight.

Tom

George Wilson

Apr 10, 2013, 4:30:41 AM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Mark - I know it's designed to fix corrupted tables - but as I've (luckily) never had to fix a corrupted table yet - I'm not sure what show up when something is corrupted

Thanks Tom! I'll try and get some more uploaded tonight as well.

Kind Regards,
George

Mark Dexter

Apr 10, 2013, 9:28:19 AM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
As so often happens, when I went in there to grab a screenshot, I
discovered a small bug (which I was able to fix). So it's all good.
Mark

Tom

Apr 10, 2013, 10:11:40 AM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
LOL, Mark.

I think I found a minor bug too.

Module Latest Users is not showing heading if set to show using loadposition in an article.

Defined position yes it shows.

This reinforces my belief documentation can be an integral part of bug squad. We see all the little quirks an end user would see.

Tom

Webdongle

Apr 10, 2013, 10:52:50 AM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

"I think I found a minor bug too"

Have you a link to the tracker that you created when you found the bug ?

Mark Dexter

Apr 10, 2013, 11:25:12 AM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Here is the link to the issue in the tracker:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=30532.
Testers appreciated! Mark

Tom Hutchison

Apr 10, 2013, 11:50:08 AM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

"I think I found a minor bug too"

Have you a link to the tracker that you created when you found the bug ?

Webdongle, It was me not Mark that found the other bug, but I see Mark provided a tracker for his.

My mistake, actually, {loadmodule} is the call not {loadposition} which is what I always use.  This probably has an effect on all modules looking at it further.

Tracker? No not yet, I wanted to test it further because it might be more, just me or nothing at all.  If you want to run with it, by all means be my guess.

According to http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_put_a_module_inside_an_article%3F

{loadmodule yyy} looks for the first matching string, makes no mention of a comma in the example.

On Joomla! 2.5 demo content, it is being called as: {loadmodule users_latest, Users Latest}

I'm not sure what is being set or intended on being set after the comma in the call to loadmodule.  Logically, I would guess it would be used to set the 'Title of the Module' to display as an override to the title of the actual module.  If someone knows, please improve the docs on the link above.

To recreate:

I had changed the title of the module just to make it match Help screen title from 'Users Latest' to 'Latest Users' but not the markup for the loadmodule demo page in the front end.

At this point I don't know if it is a bug or incorrect usage.  Using, {loadmodule users_latest}, title is displayed.  Using, {loadmodule users_latest, Latest Users}, what I renamed the module, the title is displayed.  If set to {loadmodule users_latest, Users Latest},  or any other name not a module name of the user_latest type the title of the module will not display.

Hope that's clear.

Tom

Mark Dexter

Apr 10, 2013, 1:08:51 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, t...@hutch4.us
OK. I've done a draft of the Extension Manager->Database screen and updated the status. I noticed that we don't have an article for the Components->Joomla! Update, so I added it to the big list of help articles. Mark

George Wilson

Apr 10, 2013, 1:43:09 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, t...@hutch4.us
Awesome Mark - thankyou!

Typical we have to find another I haven't done :P Only question with this is how to write this one as in 2.5.11 theirs going to be the big update to the Joomla! Update RE: specifying Joomla and PHP versions.

Kind Regards,
George

Mark Dexter

Apr 10, 2013, 2:21:19 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Well I would just write what we have for now. Much easier to revise
than to write the initial one. Mark

George Wilson

Apr 10, 2013, 4:41:43 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
I was just writing it and noticed there is no help button in the Joomla Update Component Screen - which is probably why there is no Help Screen on the list. Is this a bug or something deliberate?

Kind Regards,
George

Mark Dexter

Apr 10, 2013, 4:42:56 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a bug! I'll take a quick look. Thanks. Mark

Mark Dexter

Apr 10, 2013, 5:34:26 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com

George Wilson

Apr 10, 2013, 5:48:40 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Mark. Will test those patches in a sec. Will they make it in in time for Joomla 2.5.10 and 3.1 as I guess the language strings are frozen now and there's a soft stop of new stuff?

Also got an issue with permissions section of Joomla Update Component.
  1. I've just flicked through the code (briefly admittedly) and can't see edit state or delete being used in any capacity. I guess edit state could be used to give permission to actually update Joomla - but would appreciate someone giving this a once over just in case I've missed this one.
  2. Simultaneously (and pretty sure this is quite a reasonably major security bug) - there's no authorise checks being called on the inclusion of the options (parameters) section of the toolbar - which means anyone can change the STS/LTS option to start with. Will fix this one in the issue tracker ASAP.
Whilst I was looking at that just about to file one in the issue tracker RE: uses of JRequest in the model as well.
On a better note written a draft of the Joomla Update Page :) So back on track!

Kind Regards,
George

Mark Dexter

Apr 10, 2013, 6:06:13 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi George. I agree with you on the edit.state and delete permissions.
Doesn't appear they are used. On the authorise check, that is a bug
but fortunately not a security issue. If you create a user in the
administrator group (permission to see the update component but not
the options) you get an error when you click on options. So we should
fix it to only show the options button if you have permissions, but we
still prevent an unauthorized user from seeing or changing the
settings.

Note that, even if you don't show the button, you still need the check
further down in the code. This is because a user can "fake" a button
command (say using Firebug) even if the button is not shown.

I'll post a patch for the Options button. Thanks.

Mark

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM, George Wilson

Webdongle

Apr 10, 2013, 6:45:38 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

Have tested the joomla-update-help-25.patch  and joomla-update-help-30.patch  .  Posted both results in the same tracker.

Mark Dexter

Apr 10, 2013, 8:03:18 PM4/10/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
I created an issue here to fix the Options button in the Joomla Update component. Here is the link: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=30538. Thanks. Mark

Webdongle

Apr 11, 2013, 8:04:30 AM4/11/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

Tested them

Tom Hutchison

Apr 11, 2013, 10:22:13 AM4/11/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, 10 April 2013 22:34:26 UTC+1, Mark Dexter wrote:
Here is an issue with a patch:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=30534.
Mark

Tested both, works as expected.

Tom

George Wilson

Apr 18, 2013, 7:38:04 PM4/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, t...@hutch4.us
OK update time again.

I've spent some time today going through the 2.5 screens and I'm pleased to say the end is very very much in sight. We have 4 articles needing screenshots and 3 needing text.

3 that need screenshots are:

1 needs a frontend screenshot:

3 that need text are:

and Article Category Module : http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Extensions_Module_Manager_Articles_Category (I've nearly finished this one - just got the filtering options left  to do tomorrow).

I'll finish the article category module tomorrow - and can do the screenshots tomorrow if no-one beats me to it.

The only thing is if people can do those two articles that need text (Banner Tracks and Languages extension manager) - as really not sure what they do!! If someone can do those two then the 2.5 help screens should be ready by Saturday :)

Kind Regards,
George

George Wilson

Apr 18, 2013, 7:39:15 PM4/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, t...@hutch4.us
Oh and almost forgot can someone do the front end screenshot for the language switcher as well? Ironically for someone doing the documentation I can't get it to show anything despite having enabled the plugin and installed the french langauge pack!!

Cheers,
George

Mark Dexter

Apr 18, 2013, 7:47:53 PM4/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, jean-marie Simonet
JM, would you be able to find someone to do these screenshots for the 2.5 help for the language switcher? (see below) Thanks. Mark

Tom

Apr 18, 2013, 8:27:27 PM4/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, jooml...@googlegroups.com, jean-marie Simonet
I was having same issue George. Never could get it to work for 3 either.

Tom

Tom

Apr 18, 2013, 8:30:01 PM4/18/13
to George Wilson, jooml...@googlegroups.com
I'll do Banner Tracks. I already figured out J3 and finished them so I should be able to work them out.

Tom

George Wilson

Apr 18, 2013, 8:51:37 PM4/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, jean-marie Simonet
http://docs.joomla.org/Language_Switcher_Tutorial

I found the above - but I think it needs to be rewritten from a 2.5 standpoint rather than a this is for 1.6 and at the top is a list of updates for 1.7 (as we're now on the 2.5 LTS). I think my downfall may have been failing to include a page with the other languages content on. Will try this tomorrow and see if I can get a result - as if we can't - its kinda a significant user flaw that no one can work out how to use it lol.

I guess the tracks monitors how many times each banner is clicked or something so that it will be removed after so many? But never really had the need to use it - so thought I'd wait for someone to make sure!

Kind Regards,
George

Tom

Apr 18, 2013, 10:27:43 PM4/18/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, jooml...@googlegroups.com, jean-marie Simonet
Hey, that language page has a good demo link for 2.5 and a the demo itself is a tutorial. Thanks for finding it.  I have some reading to do. It looks pretty in depth and easy to follow.

Tom

George Wilson

Apr 19, 2013, 5:02:49 AM4/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, jean-marie Simonet
Never checked the pdf lol. Looks useful from the quick flick through. Tempted to steal the screenshot of the language switcher on slide 36/46. Whilst fiddling with this last night I think I accidently worked out what the language extension manager is for so will get working on that as well tonight.

Thanks for doing the tracks page Tom :)

Kind Regards,
George

Tom

Apr 19, 2013, 1:39:07 PM4/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Template pages are done. I will get some screenshots for plugins uploaded too.

We are so close!

Tom

George Wilson

Apr 19, 2013, 2:02:33 PM4/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Awesome one Tom! Its just the plugins page left now - so its all yours. The plugins edit page had already been done though - so it might be worth making sure everything still adds up :)

RE: Langauge switcher module JM sent me this (think he meant to post it into the group) - I did the screenshots.
Folks, when you go to
http://multilingual-joomla-demo.cloudaccess.net/
and change language, you will get 2 types of display
A dropdown and a flag list.
At the same time, you can follow the tutorial and learn. :)
I attached the screenshots
JM

Kind Regards,
George

Tom

Apr 19, 2013, 3:03:06 PM4/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Ok George, sounds good. I did the manager screenshot already and uploaded it.

Thoughts on this?

All plugin pages look same just details section or other sections with 'whatever' details available. I think intro with a generic left side. Individual plugins just details side.

I'll do them tonight. I have places to be over the next 4 hours or so.

Tom

George Wilson

Apr 19, 2013, 3:09:45 PM4/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
There is a screenshot of the manager already on this page: http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Extensions_Plugin_Manager - so I think perhaps just scrap the screenshot for this page. Glancing down the list - only the plugins with parameters have 'missing' screenshots. So I think having a left side (where the screenshot currently is) and then just screenshots for the plugins with options is the best thing to do. (Its also how we've worked with the menu items etc.)

I'll upload some screenshots of the options now then!

Kind Regards,
George

Tom

Apr 19, 2013, 3:17:28 PM4/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Shoot

The screenshot should be the generic one.

Details per unique type.

Tom
Sent from my iPhone

George Wilson

Apr 19, 2013, 6:19:16 PM4/19/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Agreed! The bad news I'm afraid is I just went through the list and found a load of missing plugins from the list. I've created headers for them. But going to have to go through and write text for them. So close as well :P Will make a start tonight but probably won't finish.

Kind Regards,
George

Elin Waring

Apr 20, 2013, 6:43:27 AM4/20/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was just reading back on this and I wanted to mention that loadmodule as opposed to loadposition is something that was added so that's probably why you didn't know about it. I does indeed search by title (it needs to since you can have many copies of the same module).  It's very fussy and the title match is I believe case sensitive and spacing has to be an exact match as well.

Elin

Tom

Apr 20, 2013, 4:20:41 PM4/20/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
George

I finished the plugin page, I think. :p

I spent all morning going over it and uploading all the screenshots and adding text. If you have time double check me. Got a little bug eyed towards the end.

If all is well, I think docs can announce the 2.5 help screen completion!!!

Tom

George Wilson

Apr 20, 2013, 9:29:21 PM4/20/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Looks finished to me :) Made a handful to tweaks - but they were really minor picky things. Thanks so much for your help with that one!!

I've left a few to-do items under the "Content Menu", "Components Menu", "Menu Item Types". But their relatively minor things. Nothing that can't stop the big announcement :D

Kind Regards,
George

Tom Hutchison

Apr 20, 2013, 10:55:05 PM4/20/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! Great work George!

I'm turning my attention towards the Home page now. I hope to have a new one up and running before May.  3.1 should hopefully be released this week and I'm going to start up on those again.

Of course, we need to keep the clean up/clean out going too.  I'm still amazed at how many pages I run across without categories.

Thanks for all you've done!

Take care
Tom

George Wilson

Apr 24, 2013, 3:43:23 PM4/24/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, t...@hutch4.us
Hi Tom,
Congrats on our joint "heroic" efforts :P Nearly forgot as the 2.5 screens are now done - can we redirect the 1.6 and 1.7 Help Screens to the corresponding 2.5 screens - then we can just delete the 1.6 and 1.7 pages.

Kind Regards,
George

George Wilson

Jun 29, 2013, 7:36:29 PM6/29/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com, t...@hutch4.us
Our efforts were so close to "heroic" but turns out that we missed one of the help screens from our list :P http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Users_Debug_Users

Started it off with the easy stuff but don't suppose someone who actually knows it a bit more than me can write down what the various column headers do (I get the green means you have permissions and the red cross means you don't - but what do the yellow dashes mean - just inherited or what???) - there are only like 4/5 different ones so should be a pretty quick job and what the start and end filters actually filter by.

Thank you very much in advance :)
George

Tom Hutchison

Jun 29, 2013, 9:27:16 PM6/29/13
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Ouch, there is another!

http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:JHELP_USERS_DEBUG_GROUPS

From the look of the URL being generated, the key is missing.  Should be:

http://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Users_Debug_Groups

Accessed in system debug the same way, but click the User Groups, then click the debug for whatever group you want to debug. e.g  Debug Permissions Report for Group #1, Public or Debug Permissions Report for Group #6, Manager.

Tom