Joomla Composers

Andrew Eddie

Apr 17, 2012, 3:27:44 AM4/17/12
to JPlatform
So, I've been working on a few skeleton repo's to help people
kickstart their platform apps. The idea is that these are more than
just examples - they are whole repo's that you'd clone, copy or
cherry-pick to get started on your own projects, but they are complete
in their own right to get a feel for how platform apps would be built
(and also form the basis for some webinars I'm going to do as a part
of GSOC).

Because there's more than one repo, I've gone for a composer theme and
I've uploaded the two that I've finished so far.

https://github.com/eddieajau/jc-bach

Bach is just a garden variety command line application. It's got
enough to show you how you might set up some app configuration, and
how to use a model (from the new MVC) setting the state based on
command line settings. It's not exhaustive but it's enough to get
virtually every CLI app started. Apart from the code itself, the main
thing to look at is the structure and class naming conventions under
the /code/ folder. Everything is set up so that the auto-loader rules
are followed - there's no need to having any "jimport" calls anymore
(except for those few classes in the core platform that require it,
but they are dwindling).

https://github.com/eddieajau/jc-dvorak

Dvorak is a bit different. It's a fully fledged custom platform (not
an application per se). You'd use it if you are developing a
framework to support your own type of Joomla application that you roll
out to clients or use for internal business purposes, or even just as
a repo that is a collection of code musings that aren't ready for
prime-time yet. It shows you how you would make your own custom class
tree with it's own prefix (in this case "D" instead of "J", but it
could just as easily be "AEddie" or similar if you wanted). It also
bootstraps the custom platform so you can provide core platform class
overrides (or even just new "J"-classes). All you have to do is copy
the core file into the same location under /libraries/joomla and it
should just all work. It's also set up with unit tests that just
bootstrap from the core Joomla Platform so you are up and running with
test-driven-development from the get go. This repo really shows the
power and the flexibility of the new autoloader, and how you can
achieve things in a sane, logical and consistent way without awkward
hacks and workarounds.

Let me know if you find these useful either as a learning tool or in
practice. If you have any suggestions for these repo's or new ones,
I'd love to hear them (or roll your own and we'll collect a list of
them somewhere). The next one on my list is a basic RESTful web
services platform. It's going to take a while to build and document,
but it's where we really start heading into new and exciting
territory.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://learn.theartofjoomla.com - training videos for Joomla developers

brian teeman

Apr 17, 2012, 3:36:59 AM4/17/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Great idea - sure it will be useful

CirTap

Apr 17, 2012, 3:57:29 AM4/17/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Great! Thank you!

Am 17.04.2012 09:27, schrieb Andrew Eddie:
> The next one on my list is a basic RESTful web
> services platform.

That MUST be Mozart then :-)
Fast, efficient, and surprising!

Have fun,
CirTap

Viet Vu

Apr 17, 2012, 4:17:32 AM4/17/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Nice name/code, will try them for sure.

Thank you

Andreas Tasch

Apr 19, 2012, 2:04:54 AM4/19/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Great! Thank you for these very helpful blueprints.