Half way to 12.1

Andrew Eddie

Feb 20, 2012, 7:06:00 PM2/20/12
to JPlatform
We are a little over half way to 12.1 now (doesn't time fly). So far
there have been 144 pulls accepted from 29 different people and the
backlog is hovering about about the 50 pulls mark. If you are the
competitive type, then you need to beat Rouven on 46 and Michael on 42
pulls accepted :) Louis is being an over-achiever again in first
place approving 43 of these pulls.

A lot of work has been done on deprecation and separating CMS specific
code from the platform so thanks for those that are working on that
dreary, but somewhat satisfying, task.

The pull request backlog is still a little bit higher than everyone
would like but hopefully we can work on getting that down a bit. All
up, I'm thrilled with the effort people are continuing to put into the
platform and it's going to make 12.1 yet another great release :) I'm
also thrilled to see new names continuing to appear in the change log.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://learn.theartofjoomla.com - training videos for Joomla developers

dim

Apr 21, 2012, 7:19:38 AM4/21/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
I have been searching for information about Joomla Platform release and in this page it indicate to be on April 18 (https://github.com/joomla/joomla-platform/wiki/Roadmap). Iis a delay on the release and where can new developer assist.

Elin Waring

Apr 21, 2012, 6:54:04 PM4/21/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Anyone can help work on the platform. Here are a few suggested entry points for beginners:

Test and help improve pull requests
Find an issue in the tracker with no code attached and .. write some code to solve it.
Look at the test coverage report and write a test to help increase coverage

The other great and fun thing is to try building platform applications using various apis and see how it goes. If you make something cool maybe it will be added to the repository but you might also just discover some ways they can be improved.

Elin

dim

Apr 22, 2012, 2:51:06 AM4/22/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Thank Elin.
I would like to assist in creating applications, fixing bugs and documenting joomla platform.
Currently the new Simplified MVC is not well documented. My question is, did joomla implement ebaysf mvc (attached here) or not? and if yes, can it be add in the platfom manual (http://developer.joomla.org/platform-manual.html)
Note: Platform manual is confusing because  the title at the top reads platform 11.3 and the other at the middle of the page is joomla platform 12.1.
ebaysf-mvc-docs.pdf

Andrew Eddie

Apr 22, 2012, 4:17:38 AM4/22/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
12.1 is still coming - hopefully this week. Basically all a "release"
means for the platform is that we tag the current state of the
repository. What's in the master branch at the moment is essentially
what 12.1 will be.

On 22 April 2012 16:51, dim <dedan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently the new Simplified MVC is not well documented.

Can you give me some sort of idea as to what is lacking?

> My question is, did
> joomla implement ebaysf mvc (attached here) or not?

Yes, it did.

> and if yes, can it be
> add in the platfom manual (http://developer.joomla.org/platform-manual.html)

Yes, it has. Look under the heading "2.6. The Model-View-Controller Packages".

> Note: Platform manual is confusing because  the title at the top reads
> platform 11.3 and the other at the middle of the page is joomla platform
> 12.1.

I'll look into why that is the case.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

Elin Waring

Apr 22, 2012, 9:37:16 AM4/22/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
The new MVC came  with nice documentation which has been merged into  the repository.  Someone just needs to push the button to generate the 12.1  version of the doc book.  I assume that will happen once 12.1 is actually tagged.  Of course documentation can always be improved, and just playing with it some I already have a few things I would add that I didn't think were necessarily obvious.

Elin

dim

Apr 24, 2012, 6:33:14 AM4/24/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
The joomla platform documentation looks fine, but is it possible we create a simple application (eg  a blog or user manager) using the new mvc as an example.

Andrew Eddie

Apr 24, 2012, 7:57:29 PM4/24/12
On 24 April 2012 20:33, dim <dedan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The joomla platform documentation looks fine, but is it possible we create a
> simple application (eg  a blog or user manager) using the new mvc as an
> example.

Yes it's possible but showing you how to do something that complex is
beyond the scope of the developer documentation. You really need
examples for that. They will come as people have time to prepare
them.

dim

May 8, 2012, 10:51:36 AM5/8/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Do you have an example of an application that uses the new MVC even if it is a hello world. I am having a hard time trying to develop a simple example.

Theo

May 8, 2012, 3:21:44 PM5/8/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
The issue is, when will publish 12.1! ;)

Amy Stephen

May 8, 2012, 8:04:54 PM5/8/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Dim - the MVC classes are still very new and I believe the eBay developers are working on integrating the new Content environment with those new classes. That code is not available yet. So, this is all in the early stages which means completed code, community-developed examples and documentation simply aren't available. It's the early adopters (such as yourself :) ) who make that available for others.

Theo - they will announce it on this list, so keep watching for the announcement. But, if you want 12.1, just get the current master branch at github.

Elin Waring

May 9, 2012, 9:01:36 AM5/9/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here's a very simple example. I'm sure lots of parts of it are less than ideal because I'm just using it to learn but it does render :).  And you can use either Beez or Bootstrap. If you want to actually make it render you do need to pull in the ucm packages from ebaySF but if you just want to look at how a simple structure works it's fine.

Elin

Elin Waring

May 9, 2012, 9:05:52 AM5/9/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
And actually I should mention that I totally stole structure from Louis's more complex application.

Elin

dim

May 10, 2012, 4:33:08 AM5/10/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Thank Elin  for you assistance.
 @Amy i will develop a "Hello World" documentation for the new MVC if I get time.

Christophe Demko

May 10, 2012, 5:27:50 AM5/10/12
to Joomla! Platform Development
Version 12.1 of the Joomla Platform released
http://developer.joomla.org/news/421-version-12-1-of-the-joomla-platform-released.html

Andrew Eddie

May 10, 2012, 6:10:25 PM5/10/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for putting that together Christophe.