Article on Commercial Joomla Extension Business Income

Omar Ramos

Jan 3, 2013, 2:49:35 AM1/3/13
to Joomla! General Development
It's my first article in a while, and my first one for 2013, but I wanted to go ahead and compile some of my own information to share with you about how my Commercial Joomla Extension Business has been doing the last two and a half years or so since I haven't seen too many articles in the Joomlasphere that reveal much detail about income and such made by developers and their extensions (I don't think I make a particularly stellar case study...probably average to below-average :-).

Here's the link (let me know if you have any questions or notice anything that needs correcting):

Hopefully it'll be informative and encourage others to maybe start their own Joomla Extension Business (if they haven't already :-).

Here's looking to new contributions to Joomla in 2012!

-Omar

Matt Thomas

Jan 3, 2013, 11:48:56 AM1/3/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing Omar!

Best,

Matt Thomas
Founder betweenbrain
Phone: 203.632.9322
Twitter: @betweenbrain

-Omar

Eve

Jan 4, 2013, 9:18:09 PM1/4/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
That was a good article!  I am thinking on developing some extensions, but I am not really sure where to start.  This helped.  Hopefully, I can get my coding hat on soon and get some things in to JED.  I have heard people say, at least with templates, that people go for the free ones 98% of the time.  Do you even find that free extensions are getting in the way of any of your commercial extensions?  I know that I try for the free ones first and then, if I must pay, I will pay for an extension, but I don't know what the attitude is as a whole for the people browsing JED.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Eve

Jan 4, 2013, 9:18:49 PM1/4/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
I meant "ever", not "even."

Omar Ramos

Jan 5, 2013, 12:35:45 AM1/5/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eve!

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

In all, I really only have two real commercial extensions, but the plugin for DOCman is definitely the primary one that people visit my site for from the JED.

I don't think the other free extensions I have to detract at all...I feel if any of those provide significant value for people then they're more likely to have confidence in your commercial extensions as well.

I agree that most people are likely to try out any freely available extensions first, though I do think that more business oriented folks don't have any qualms with paying for software for their sites, especially if it fulfills an important function for them or saves them money by saving them time.

In 2012 with the new site I started offering the option of a free copy of the commercial extension for people to try out, and then leave it up to them to subscribe afterwards if it met their needs. Quite a few people have taken me up on that offer this past year and most of those eventually led to subscriptions. I felt that would be a nice touch because sometimes you do want to try out an extension before purchasing, but developers are usually reluctant to let you try before you buy due to the GPL nature of the extensions (once you give them a copy there aren't any restrictions on how many sites they can use it on or who they can give it to, but most people are very honest about things and don't try to take advantage of that openness).

I hope you're able to put that coding hat on soon!

-Omar