new version available but package not updating

Ruud van Lent

Dec 19, 2016, 12:52:43 PM12/19/16
to Joomla! General Development
Hi,

I'm running a little bit in circles here. I have a package version 0.1.0 installed.
My update server has a new version available 0.1.1

On the site where the package is installed, opening the xml file from the update server correctly shows the new version(s), but I never get prompted to install it.

in table #__extensions my package has id 10924
in table #__update_site the update site for this package is set with id 348

in table #__update_sites_external I have a record coupling update_site id 348 with extension_id 10924

so far so good.

When cleaning the update cache and clicking find updates the table #__updates gets a record with the update in it (version 0.1.1) where update_site = 348
what goes wrong is that in table #__updates the extension_id is empty... (when setting the extension_id manually, the update does show and updating works)

So it seems that my update server is working correct serving the update.xml. The new version is correctly added to the #updates table only the 'match' between the update_site (384) and extension_id (10924) is not made.

What could be wrong here / how to troubleshoot?
Every help / tip / advice is highly appreciated :)
thanks in advance
Ruud.

Ruud van Lent

Dec 21, 2016, 3:27:39 AM12/21/16
to Joomla! General Development
Just to follow up with a more specific question:

Where / what is the login to 'bind' the available update to the extension_id of the package?
I is not a query to the #__update_sites_external because there the update site is correctly matched to the extension_id.
So there must be some other logic why Joomla updater finds an update but doesn't assign this update to the extension_id.

If somebody with some insight in this process could jump in, or if somebody could tell me where to look for the 'match' routine, that would be highly appreciated!

thanks in advance!
regards,
Ruud.

Ruud van Lent

Jan 28, 2017, 1:14:45 PM1/28/17
to Joomla! General Development
Hi, just to close this question and follow up with the solution.
It turned out to be an issue in the component that served the updates.
As it turned out, a package name should be pre-pended with 'pkg_' in the update.xml that serves the updates.

In the component I used, only the name was used e.g. 'weblinks' and although this is the correct package name, in the update file it should say e.g.<element>pkg_weblinks</package>

I presume that is because the package can have the same name as the component that is part of the package.
Furthermore the <client>0</client> was omitted in the update.xml defaulting back to value 1, which is not the correct value for packages.

Developer is now creating a patch :)