legacy MVC and new MVC

Vincent Perdereau

Oct 6, 2013, 8:20:44 AM10/6/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Today, with Joomla! version 3.2 (beta), we have to use legacy MVC architecture. The new MVC architecture introduced with Joomla 3.0 is still under construction and isn't usable (or with a lot of complementary code, especially for admin interface).
Am I right ?

In the future, with Joomla! 3.5, can you say me if a developer should use legacy MVC or if will be better to use the new MVC ? (even it's not compatible with 2.5)
Is the new MVC will be fully usable in 3.5 ?

What's about FOF ? Is it an alternative to the new MVC architecture ? What's the way decided by Joomla core team ?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Best regards
Vincent

Bakual

Oct 6, 2013, 11:15:20 AM10/6/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
According to the roadmap: http://developer.joomla.org/cms/roadmap.html, the old "legacy" MVC is still the way to go. I understand it that the new MVC is sort of a mistake which should be rolled back (with B/C in mind).
I guess once the new framework will be used for the CMS, then a new MVC will be used. But that will likely not happen before 4.0, probably even later. The old legacy one will be around for a long time, most likely also during the 4.x series to provide B/C (we don't want to repeat the 1.5 -> 1.6 change) :-)

FoF is an alternative you can use, since it is now included in core for Joomla 3.2.

Vincent Perdereau

Oct 6, 2013, 4:27:41 PM10/6/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Bakual for your answer. It's clear.

Best regards

WooDzu

Oct 28, 2013, 8:51:18 PM10/28/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
If I understand correctly the layer will be slowly dropped moving towards UCM architecture to let developers update their extensions during the transition time.

Like Bakual said,
when using the legacy layer developing extensions keep an eye on the @deprecated annotations in its classes.

Most of them like JModelList or JModelForm look safe for now. For instance, see that JRequest is marked for removal in 4.0

Bakual

Oct 29, 2013, 5:08:42 AM10/29/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/joomla-dev-cms/YlEL3cu1fJQ for some more information on the plans with new MVC.

The new MVC doesn't have anything to do with UCM. That's a different beast which is yet to be defined. The new MVC is already here, useable for those who like to play with it. However currently you still need to build your controller, models and views more or less from scratch.

Alexandr Kosarev

Oct 16, 2016, 6:50:22 AM10/16/16
to Joomla! General Development
Will be glad if more people will look into and respond with feedback for JooYii Library for Joomla (new MVC and other core Joomla improvements)