starting joomla

utkarsh shukla

Jan 9, 2017, 8:35:17 AM1/9/17
to Joomla! General Development
I wanted to know how to start working and contributing to joomla. I would really appreciate some help

Hervé Boinnard

Jan 11, 2017, 10:40:52 AM1/11/17
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hello Utkarsh,

Like Walt Sorensen said so well:

Depends on how you want to contribute.

= More about coding?

As everyone else has said, Testers for PRs are always needed. Currently, there are about 297 open PR's. Of those only about 11 have received testing and the RTC tag for successful tests.

There are also about 212 open issues not addressed by a PR yet. so if you have the knowhow and time to figure out how to fix things, that is also needed.

Testing Instructions
https://docs.joomla.org/Testing_Joomla!_patches

Reading and cleaning up the Documentation is always a big project and is a good place to learn from and help.

You can always find more opportunities help on the volunteers site
https://volunteers.joomla.org/

PR = pull request, these are proposed code fixes
RTC = Ready to commit, these are patches that have been tested and could make it into a future version.

Additionally, there is lots of activity and help needed in Testing Joomla! 3.6.3 RC3 for release, completing the 3.7 and 4.0 versions of Joomla. We also have need for people to help with adding support for PHP7.1 and HHVM.

There is also a mailing group specific to the CMS development https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/joomla-dev-cms

= More ways
https://www.joomla.org/contribute-to-joomla.html

With that being said, welcome to the community; and thanks for being willing to contribute.