to pkg or not to pkg?

Ruud van Lent

Nov 20, 2016, 2:11:31 PM11/20/16
to Joomla! General Development
Hi,
just developed my first component that also works with several (stand-alone) plugins.
What I wanted to do was offer the component and the basic plugin as a package.
both the component and the plugin would have a one-click-update xml. The download ID needed for this will be part of the component and the plugin (set the id in the options, have a routine put it in the db).

People can install the package, which will in turn install the component and the plugin.
When an update is available for either (or both) the component / plugin the update will be done for the component or the plugin.

But I read that there is a new rule on the JED: everything offered must have an update server available > also the package?

That makes things a little more complicated: the package can be updated, the component can and the plugin can...

So as a newby to all this I would really like some advice in how to proceed?

How would you as experienced developer offer both the component and the plugin to a client?

Michael Babker

Nov 20, 2016, 2:16:43 PM11/20/16
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
If you're distributing it as a package extension, that should be the only thing that requires the update server definition.  It would be a pretty impractical requirement to mandate that each individual extension that makes up a package has to have a separate update server (imagine packages with 10+ extensions here).

Ruud van Lent

Nov 20, 2016, 2:40:03 PM11/20/16
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com

Thnx Michael, so your advice would be to package and maintain updates to the component and plugin via updates to the package, correct?

The 'additional' plugins could then be distributed and updated 'standalone'