Re: [jgen] How does the transition from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.0?

Nick Savov

Sep 19, 2012, 4:39:41 PM9/19/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

The core Joomla 2.5 component "Joomla! Update" will handle migrating the
Joomla core from 2.5 to 3.0. There's a setting within the component's
options to go from a LTS version to STS version (e.g. 2.5 to 3.0). So
that will part will be easy thanks to the people who contributed to the
updater and Joomla 3 :) Users just have to make sure that their
environment meets the requirements of the Joomla 3 core (also that they
have Magic Quotes GPC to off on their server)
http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

The only other part is making sure Joomla extensions on the 2.5 site are
Joomla 3 compatible. The trickiest part will likely be the templates, as
the core layouts have changed.

As always, it's recommended to backup your sites and to test on a test
server first. This is a must.

Also, please note that Joomla 2.5 will be supported for another year, so
there's no rush at all to migrate.

In summary, make appropriate backups (just in case) and test on a test
site first. The Joomla core will be a "one-click" update, but extensions
need to be tested for Joomla 3 compatibility. Joomla 2.5 will be
supported for another year, so there's no rush to update.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Nick

p.s. For extension developers, the following developer documentation would
be useful:
http://docs.joomla.org/Potential_backward_compatibility_issues_in_Joomla_3.0_and_Joomla_Platform_12.1

> Ciao from Italy,
> What procedures will be done for the transition from a Joomla 2.5 site to
> Joomla 3.0 ?
> On Joomla.org has been described as a "migration" :( .
> Will use the new component in Joomla 2.5 "Joomla Update"? Or will need
> external tools not developed by the dev team of Joomla?
> This procedure will be active with the release of version 3.0 stable?
>
> We would like to have some more precise information to be communicated
> during the JoomlaDay Italy (September 29), I think this is the big
> question of the event.
>
> thanks for your help
>
> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general?hl=en-GB.

AlexRed

Sep 20, 2012, 3:41:10 AM9/20/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic.
Then the component "Joomla! Update" (in Joomla 2.5.7) is ready to perform the update to 3.0, and you consider this procedure as an upgrade or migration?
Is it possible to test for this procedure?

thanks Nick

AlexRed

Sep 20, 2012, 4:51:34 AM9/20/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com

ok, the db update script is https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/blob/master/administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates/mysql/3.0.0.sql
but I can't find the xml update and the script to update the file  :(

AlexRed

Sep 20, 2012, 5:02:28 AM9/20/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com

AlexRed

Sep 20, 2012, 7:58:40 AM9/20/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
I tested the procedure in this way:
- Download Joomla 3.0 ZIP from github: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms
- estract and delete the folders build,docs,installation,tests
- copy joomla.xml from http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/17409/76015/Joomla_2.5.6_to_2.5.7-Stable-Patch_Package.zip
- save joomla.xml in the root of Joomla 3.0
- copy all file and folder of Joomla 3.0 in the Joomla 2.5.7 tmp folder
- from joomla 2.5.7 administrator--> Extension Manager: Install --> Install from Directory
- wait...
- now the admin is in Joomla 3.0 template and everything looks good.
- Extension Manager: Discover--> Purge Cache--> Discover and install all (also frontend template Protostar)

Extension Manager: Check Database
    Problems Found 2

    Table 'xxx_content' does not have column 'title_alias' with type 'VARCHAR(255)'. (From file 1.7.3-2011-10-15.sql.)
    Table 'xxx_content' does not have column 'title_alias' with type 'VARCHAR(255)'. (From file 1.7.4-2011-11-23.sql.)

But I think we can test the procedure from the "Joomla! Update" component.
In the "Joomla! Update Configuration" Update Source-->Custom URL

Beat

Sep 20, 2012, 8:25:36 AM9/20/12
to Joomla! General Development

On Sep 19, 10:39 pm, "Nick Savov" <n...@iowawebcompany.com> wrote:
> The only other part is making sure Joomla extensions on the 2.5 site are
> Joomla 3 compatible.  The trickiest part will likely be the templates, as
> the core layouts have changed.

Indeed. And for components which are using the Joomla upgrader, Joomla
could check if the installed versions are Joomla 3.0-compatible
through their XML upgrades-check remote files, and if not yet, it
should put a big warning sign, or not allow upgrade to 3.0 at all. I'm
seeing many sites breaking with that upgrade otherwise... And that's
supposing that all 3.0-extensions would also run on 2.5.

At minimum big warning sign and warning text should be displayed
"Please test this upgrade on a copy of your site first if you have any
extensions installed." when people want to upgrade from 2.5 to
3.0... ?

Nick Savov

Sep 20, 2012, 9:35:00 AM9/20/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Please report any bugs that you find using the following Procedure.

Kind regards,
Nick
> --
> "Joomla! General Development" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla-dev-general/-/PBlCyHOwd7sJ.

Nick Savov

Sep 20, 2012, 9:43:47 AM9/20/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's ready, but we're trying to improve it more, for example, by
fixing bugs and also by adding pre-upgrade checks:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=28901

If you'd like to help, please check the bug tracker or ask on here.

Is it an upgrade or a migration? I'd consider it an easy migration :) and
would backup and test as if it were a big migration (just in case).

There should be update packages available by early next week to test going
from 2.5.7 to 3.0.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Nick

> Fantastic.
> Then the component "*Joomla! Update*" (*in Joomla 2.5.7*) is ready to
> perform the update to 3.0, and you consider this procedure as an upgrade
> or
> migration?
> Is it possible to test for this procedure?
>
> thanks Nick
>
> --
> "Joomla! General Development" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla-dev-general/-/iaTRWFnJnkgJ.

Nick Savov

Sep 20, 2012, 9:54:04 AM9/20/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Beat,

It would be great if you contribute a patch for it. Michael Babker has
been working on a pre-upgrade check script but has run into a little bit
of a dead end:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla-dev-cms/PlIryebNe58/vtK_odOtrqsJ