Canonical / SEF confusion

Troy Hall

Oct 18, 2016, 5:00:12 PM10/18/16
to joomla-dev-general
Hey guys, I need some education here....
in global we have SEF on/off and a plugin for sef...
The plugin says only needed for duplicate domains,
but with sef global on and that plugin off there is no canonical url...
What is the purpose of the SEF global if its not setting canonical and
why do I need the plugin on for a single domain url?
Very confused....
Bear

brian teeman

Oct 18, 2016, 5:35:37 PM10/18/16
to Joomla! General Development
You only need that if you have TWO or more domains pointing to the same website. This setting will make sure that only ONE of those domains will be the canonical

brian teeman

Oct 18, 2016, 5:35:39 PM10/18/16
to Joomla! General Development

Troy Hall

Oct 18, 2016, 6:45:17 PM10/18/16
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
well, the problem was if nothing was in there and I went and checked the
canonical it was void.
Bear

Hannes Papenberg

Oct 19, 2016, 5:11:32 AM10/19/16
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
The SEF plugin does a lot more than just set the canonical link. The
canonical link is just a small side-aspect of that plugin.

Hannes

Troy Hall

Oct 20, 2016, 1:32:29 AM10/20/16
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
So exactly what does the SEF option do? I'm very confused...
Bear

On 19-Oct-16 04:11, 'Hannes Papenberg' via Joomla! General Development