How to contribute joomla

Lahiru Malaka

Jun 9, 2014, 11:21:52 AM6/9/14
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am an undergraduate in Computer Science and I like to implement this idea.
Predefined email Component for Joomla
For the moment I am learning how to create a component in joomla and I think I am good at that now.
Now I need to get into the real work and I need some guidelines regarding where to begin and how to make my contribution useful to joomla.
For example, sometimes I feel if I do my work using joomla 2.5 version it would be a waste and will not be able to include in a joomla version which is to be released.
So please give me a simple guide on this issue.

Thanks
Malaka

Niv Froehlich

Jun 9, 2014, 3:58:40 PM6/9/14
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lahiru,

My recommendation is to first develop your extension for Joomla! 3.x as 2.5 is "yesterday's technology," so either you are developing for "disappearing market" (i.e. J2.5) or an "emerging market" (i.e. J3.x) - personally, I'd go with the latter.

Then, once you've developed your extension for J3.x, if, and only if, you have a need to make the extension backwards compatible, then do so for J2.5.

If you need some guidelines on how develop extensions and make them b/c for J2.5, Timothy Plummer covers this in his book, Learning Joomla! 3 extension development. http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Joomla-Extension-Development-Edition-ebook/dp/B00E7NC9KU

Now - that's just my personal 'forward thinking' opinion on approach.

Hope that helps and best of luck!!!

Niv

---

Lahiru Malaka

Jun 9, 2014, 10:42:25 PM6/9/14
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Niv for your quick reply.

Niv Froehlich

Jun 9, 2014, 11:22:35 PM6/9/14
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
No sweat ;-)