what Would be Better choice To Build a API based Application: Joomla framework or Laravel ?

Abu Huraira Bin Aman

Feb 10, 2016, 3:01:34 AM2/10/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Hi
we have a team and planing to build a api based web service. we will have mobile apis and some others service.  my other team members are facinated to use laravel. but want to use Joomla as i am a joomla cms extension developer and pert of the community.

though i need to build the application and i have to use any framework.

so can anyone suggest me what would be better choice? laravel has artisan comman line tools and you know the rest features.

thanks

Anibal Sanchez

Feb 11, 2016, 4:54:27 AM2/11/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Hi,

I haven't worked with Joomla Framework or Laravel. In my view, Laravel and Joomla Framework offer a modern PHP architecture and they really shine in that area. But, they don't have a rich CMS or stable extensions to start working right away. So, you are on your own to build everything. I would only follow this path to integrate other systems or if I'm ready to be committed with a project in the long term.

From my experience creating mobile apps for Joomla CMS with PhoneGap, AngularJS and Ionic, it works very well. Right now, there is no official REST Api, so you have to implement your own entry points. On the bright side, once you solve the bridge, you can integrate any extension. From JWC15, Mobile apps development for Joomla https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-p4xQtdhuc&list=PL0Lg2fzcJu1T1mxq35aDwtSieVRDPPayh&index=36

Finally, according to the roadmap, Joomla CMS 3.6 will include a REST Api. Also from JWC15, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF8_mHStURM&index=28&list=PL0Lg2fzcJu1T1mxq35aDwtSieVRDPPayh

PD: This saturday, I'm attending to Joomla Day UK - 2016 and there are several sessions related with frameworks (George Wilson) and Joomla Future (Chris Davenport). I'll be reporting back!

Regards,
Anibal