Announcements

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Dec 14, 2016, 5:49:43 AM12/14/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Why are announcements not being posted in the mailing list anymore?

The announcements in the glip channels are only seen by those who log into glip.  There is no way to link (from outside glip) to anything that's posted.

All glit channels are achieving is to discombobulate the bugsquad.  Glip is a live chat and not suitable for making announcements, requests to test specific patches, mail to all bugsquad members or keep subjects separate.  There is absolutely no practical reason to use a live chat to replace this mailing list yet the powers that be are using glip for things that should be posted here.

Niels Braczek

Dec 14, 2016, 6:46:40 AM12/14/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Am 14.12.2016 um 11:49 schrieb Webdongle Elgnodbew:

> Glip is
> a live chat and not suitable for making announcements, requests to test
> specific patches, mail to all bugsquad members or keep subjects separate.
> There is absolutely no practical reason to use a live chat to replace this
> mailing list yet the powers that be are using glip for things that should
> be posted here.

You're making an absolute valid point here.

Regards,
Niels

--
| New Stars on the Horizon: GreenCape · nibralab · laJoom |
| http://www.bsds.de · BSDS Braczek Software- und DatenSysteme |

Michael Babker

Dec 14, 2016, 8:23:02 AM12/14/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Glip (or any live chat platform Joomla may elect to use) should never be seen as a replacement for email based communication and if people or teams are treating it that way then there is indeed a communication breakdown.

There are pros and cons to posting items in one place or another (or both or neither).  Email offers threading support and is designed for non-realtime communication, chat by design can't be threaded and is by intent designed for realtime communications.  Ultimately everyone's going to have a preference for one over the other, but everyone is also going to have to compromise a bit and be willing to work with other tools to some degree (some people hate chat while at the same time some people hate mailing lists or being associated with Google).

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Dec 14, 2016, 10:23:55 AM12/14/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
I have no problem with live chat ... it is a useful tool when it is used correctly.  My point is that it is not being used correctly ... the only time it is useful is when it is used for a group of people working on a specific task.  But it is being used for
  • General discussion... which is inappropriate because of different time zones
  • Discussions ... which is inappropriate because of different time zones
  • Announcements ... which can only be seen when someone logs in and sifts through the chat
  • Requests ...  also which can only be seen when someone logs in and sifts through the chat

glip is being used incorrectly because the 'powers that be' are trying to use it for things that the mailing list is more suitable for.

In short it is not a matter preference it is a matter of practicality of not using the correct tool because 'powers that be' are misusing tools

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 4:49 AM, Webdongle Elgnodbew <in...@weblinksonline.co.uk> wrote:
Why are announcements not being posted in the mailing list anymore?

The announcements in the glip channels are only seen by those who log into glip.  There is no way to link (from outside glip) to anything that's posted.

All glit channels are achieving is to discombobulate the bugsquad.  Glip is a live chat and not suitable for making announcements, requests to test specific patches, mail to all bugsquad members or keep subjects separate.  There is absolutely no practical reason to use a live chat to replace this mailing list yet the powers that be are using glip for things that should be posted here.

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Dec 14, 2016, 10:32:43 AM12/14/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla-dev-cms/rZJq7M9iJl8/zfGbje4jCgAJ is a perfect example of using the mailing list and live chat tools

Mailing lists for reaching as many members as possible and general discussion ... then arrange private chat to iron out the specifics.Then the next stage to take the results of the 'ironing out' to the tracker.