Joomla updates

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Aug 23, 2016, 11:16:39 AM8/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
  1. Components >>> Joomla update >>> Live update ... update
    and
  2. Components >>> Joomla update >>> Live update ... update ... with the update file in /tmp
    and
  3. Components >>> Joomla update >>> Upload/update
    and
  4. Components >>> Joomla update >>> Live update >>> Clear cache ... Reninstall Joomla core files
Do all the methods run the Joomla update completly ... update sql files etc ?

brian teeman

Aug 23, 2016, 6:07:44 PM8/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
yes

at least they are supposed to

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Aug 23, 2016, 6:23:53 PM8/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Thanks Brian
Just wanted to double check before I made a post in the forum

Leo Lammerink

Aug 23, 2016, 10:30:16 PM8/23/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

#4 for sure does not make changes to the database since that replaces i believe only the core-files. @Brian please correct me if I am wrong?

AlexRed

Aug 24, 2016, 4:06:21 AM8/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hello,
please, how can i test the "Components >>> Joomla update >>> Live update ... update ... with the update file in /tmp"  ?

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Aug 24, 2016, 5:04:59 AM8/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Leo

#4 was the one I'm not sure about

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Aug 24, 2016, 5:06:38 AM8/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Alex

Test on localhost and disconnect the cable(turn of the wifi) internet connection ?

AlexRed

Aug 24, 2016, 5:12:08 AM8/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
I try it but not work

sovainfo

Aug 24, 2016, 6:28:35 AM8/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
#4 follows the same procedure as the others. When there are database updates they are processed.

Obviously, the database updates are only processed once. When the original update processed them succesfully, any subsequent Reinstall won't process them again.
Unless you manipulate the information in the database, of course.

So, the text on the button is misleading, it is not only replenishing the core files. It is doing everything an update should do. It doesn't process database updates that are already processed, so it doesn't behave like ->Fix.

Leo Lammerink

Aug 24, 2016, 7:33:05 AM8/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Did not know that. Thanks for clarifying Marcel!

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Aug 24, 2016, 2:29:06 PM8/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Leo

As an experiment I ran
ALTER TABLE `vfe0x_languages` DROP COLUMN `asset_id`
in phpMyAdmin

Deleted 3.6.0-2016-06-05.sql from /administrator\components/com_admin/sql/updates/mysql

Used the Database fix so the data in the Schema Table matched the (now) last file in /administrator\components/com_admin/sql/updates/mysql

Navigated to Components >>> Joomla update ... cleared cache and reinstalled Joomla core files.

Checked the database and the `asset_id` column had been inserted in the languages Table

So the Reinstall Joomla core files option does run the update sql files in accordance with the data in the schema Table.

brian teeman

Aug 24, 2016, 4:55:48 PM8/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development

On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 19:29:06 UTC+1, Webdongle Elgnodbew wrote:

So the Reinstall Joomla core files option does run the update sql files in accordance with the data in the schema Table.

Which is what I said in the first post. But just ignore me

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Aug 24, 2016, 5:31:13 PM8/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Brian

I was not intending to ignore you ... was experimenting with different scenarios and that was one of the experiments.

Leo Lammerink

Aug 24, 2016, 10:28:58 PM8/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

A suggestion in that case which was mentioned earlier I believe. We should rename this since "reinstall core-files" is being interpreted by many (including myself) as what is mentioned: 'reinstalling files'

sovainfo

Aug 25, 2016, 3:40:59 AM8/25/16
to Joomla! CMS Development

sovainfo

Aug 25, 2016, 7:09:44 AM8/25/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
@Leo Tried it, but being ignored again!

So, create a language override for:
COM_JOOMLAUPDATE_VIEW_DEFAULT_INSTALLAGAIN="Reinstall Joomla core files"

Consider my last suggestion the most appropriate:
COM_JOOMLAUPDATE_VIEW_DEFAULT_INSTALLAGAIN="Apply update"