Release packages built process across minor versions

Izhar Aazmi

Feb 27, 2017, 8:14:55 AM2/27/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I was looking at the build.php that is used to prepare release packages for Joomla. Apparently it supports upgrade package from initial release in a minor series upto the latest one.

e.g. - Updates for 3.6.0, 3.6.1, 3.6.2, 3.6.3, 3.6.4 are created when preparing 3.6.5 release.

I am not sure how do we create package for updates/upgrades across minor releases such as an update package for 3.6.x to 3.7.1.

Please advise.

Michael Babker

Feb 27, 2017, 8:24:34 AM2/27/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
That's the last 40 or so lines in the file.  After building patch packages for a minor series, it builds the full installation packages for new installs and a general upgrade package which can be used to upgrade from 2.5 and later (all versions).

Izhar Aazmi

Feb 27, 2017, 8:31:18 AM2/27/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael, now I get it clear. Also cleared my doubt about what those full and full update packages are.

Now I am curious if there is any specific reason that this is script is not class based instead of a plain file? Wouldn't that make it more readable and manageable?