JoomlaCode Issue tracker report 28 March 2014

brian teeman

Mar 28, 2014, 7:36:35 PM3/28/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Folks if we want to successfully start using the new JIssue tracker we need to rapidly cleanup the existing joomlacode issue tracker. I spent just a few hours today and updated the status on about 100 issues which were either moved to Pending as we have a Pull Request and people can test or were closed for various reasons.

As of today 28 March 2014

Open 144
Confirmed 200
Pending 299
RTC 20
TOTAL Open Status 699

We all have a tendency to look at new issues and work on issues that interest us. As a result 177 of these have not been updated in any form in 2014 (much higher if we include status updates) and have no Pull Request. If we collectively review these old issues I strongly suspect many of them have already been resolved (we all know joomlacode is lousy for searching so duplicate reports happen a lot), they are feature requests or simply requests for support.

I would even go far as far and suggest that any issue (109) with no update in over 6 months and without any Pull Request is automatically closed without wasting any time investigating it. A new can always be created.

I strongly believe that of the 700 open issues we have no more than 250 real live issues

Hannes Papenberg

Mar 29, 2014, 4:51:34 AM3/29/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I can only second Brian here. Especially the Confirmed ones need a
complete review, because lots of those are simply old and have been
fixed in one form or another.

Hannes

Lara Petersen

Mar 29, 2014, 5:27:07 AM3/29/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
What about issues that are Pending (or moved from RTC to Pending), because a decision has to be made first? (for example #33286)
Is there a separate @ for stats we can use, to identify these issues?

Regards,
Lara

brian teeman

Mar 29, 2014, 5:38:55 AM3/29/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Do they even need a review if they are old?

Because the search is so poor, and that's why were dumping it, I bet the vast majority are either already fixed or not important. Heck if they were then they wouldn't have been left untouched for so long.

Let's just close them now. If they are still real issues then people can always create new issues which being new have a much higher chance of being looked at.

Its time to be brutal!!!

brian teeman

Mar 29, 2014, 5:40:38 AM3/29/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I should add that if we add all the issues that have just had a status change or requrst for more info in the last 6 months but no real activity then we would be automatically closing another 100-150.

When you can see the wood from the trees it is easier to build a house

Dmitry Rekun

Mar 30, 2014, 3:19:13 AM3/30/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

may be we could have such stats on the main page of the JTracker, for exampe in the footer? Of course that could happen when we will totally move to the JTracker and have all statuses in place there.

Dmitry

brian teeman

Mar 30, 2014, 6:33:46 AM3/30/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
It would be interesting to have the stats on the new tracker. But not much more than that.

Hannes Papenberg

Mar 30, 2014, 8:26:23 AM3/30/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
What is keeping us from closing the old tracker for new items right now?

We still have to go through all existing tracker items on JC, but it
would be very helpfull if we could prevent any new items from being
created which would have to then be merged over to the new tracker.
Especially considering that we apparently don't require a JC tracker
item for new PRs right now.

Hannes

Valentin Despa

Mar 30, 2014, 12:09:04 PM3/30/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
There is a lot of work that needs to be done, very similar to handling paperwork (moving things from tray A to tray B, putting a stamp) with very little results.

I need an average from 10 - 15 minutes per bug (confirming, testing or researching). This makes gives me an efficiency of maximum 10 bugs per hour. Hope you guys are faster than me!

After we bury the old tracker maybe we will get some automated scripts to manage the status of the bug.

Something like:

- opened longer than 3 months
- latest comment older than 3 months
- little or no votes on the "Experienced this issue / Importance of issue"

=> silently close the issue till somebody replies (regardless of the status).

It's shitty for the person who reported it in the first place, but I see no other option.

I think if we manage to clean the issues, on the new tracker we might have a chance in keeping things simpler, focusing on solving issues and not on "paperwork". I've noticed that the longer an issue stays in the tracker, the fewer chances it will ever get fixed.

Valentin Despa

Nick Savov

Apr 2, 2014, 9:45:11 PM4/2/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Thanks for working on that! Feel free to close any that are over 6 months
without an update. However, please do so with a snippet asking for an
update and letting people know why it's closed and how to reopen it.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Nick

brian teeman

Apr 3, 2014, 11:50:10 AM4/3/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
If the PLT and/or the Bug Squad maintainers will write that "snippet" I'm happy to spend the time applying it

Nick Savov

Apr 3, 2014, 12:37:47 PM4/3/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Brian, I'll get it written today and send it over.
>> > email to joomla-dev-cm...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
>> > To post to this group, send an email to
>> joomla-...@googlegroups.com<javascript:>.

Nick Savov

Apr 3, 2014, 12:58:59 PM4/3/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
How does this sound? (Feel free to edit it to your liking)

Hi,

Thanks for working on this bug report!

Due to the time lapse since its last activity, the issue is potentially
resolved via another ticket and/or is no longer up-to-date with the latest
Joomla version. We're marking this ticket as closed, however at your
earliest convenience please give us an update so that the ticket can be
reopened if there's still an issue.

Thanks again for your help!

Sincerely,

Leo Lammerink

Apr 3, 2014, 1:11:19 PM4/3/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Nick,
Think that still leaves too much open. I would change the late part and
have the message as follows:

Thanks for working on this bug report!

Due to the time lapse since its last activity, the issue is potentially resolved via another ticket and/or is no longer up-to-date with the latest Joomla version. We're marking this ticket as closed, however feel free to open a new issue on our new tracker when you are under the impression that the issue still exists

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

------------------
This reduces the "non-confirmed issues and other old stuff" and you can with that remove all old stuff but keep the opportunity for those who want to reopen a new tracker item..... Seems like more efficient maybe?

Thoughts?

Leo Lammerink
MD GWS-Desk.com

Nick Savov

Apr 3, 2014, 1:18:03 PM4/3/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Good suggestion, Leo. That works for me. It just needs a link to the new
tracker, since most people don't know what or where it is.

Kind regards,
Nick

Leo Lammerink

Apr 3, 2014, 1:27:37 PM4/3/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
aware of that. Please add at will?
Cheers
Leo

brian teeman

Apr 3, 2014, 3:05:44 PM4/3/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for submitting and/or working on this bug report!

Due to the long period of time since there has been any activity on the report, the issue has potentially been resolved via another ticket and/or is no longer up-to-date with the latest Joomla version. We're marking this ticket as closed, however feel free to open a new issue on our new tracker (http://issues.joomla.org) if you find  that the issue still exists with the current release of Joomla

Nick Savov

Apr 3, 2014, 3:34:07 PM4/3/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Looks good to me.

Cheers,
Nick

Andrew Eddie

Apr 6, 2014, 8:10:20 PM4/6/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Brian I'm taking a "bug hunt" session next week at the Brisbane JUG. What's the best thing I can be focusing on to help in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

Hannes Papenberg

Apr 7, 2014, 2:59:59 AM4/7/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I'd say that depends on what you and the JUG are interested in doing. If
you wanna do administrative work and if we want to stick with "close
everything older than 6 months", you could do that. If you wanna do
simple testing, you could go through the confirmed issues and either
reconfirm or close them. For serious testing, test the open PRs. ;-)
These tasks are the most urgent ones in my regard. I also tend to sort
by date ascending, to finally handle all those really old issues.

Hannes

Andrew Eddie

Apr 7, 2014, 3:37:43 AM4/7/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks. That's helpful. Where's the best place to refer people to
for up-to-date JBS procedures?

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Joomla! CMS Development" group.

brian teeman

Apr 7, 2014, 10:00:03 AM4/7/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

George Wilson

Apr 8, 2014, 9:11:00 AM4/8/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
The best thing is to try and test existing PR's in my solution. In my experience at the bug hunt's everyone codes solutions for confirmed problems but very few people actually test the existing PR's. And that's pretty much the most useful thing we can be doing - especially with 3.3 upcoming

Kind Regards,
George