RESTful API in 4.0-dev?

calligraphic

Sep 17, 2017, 5:08:35 AM9/17/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Can anyone point me to info/PRs about web API in 4.0-dev? I'm aware of Chris's web api codebase here:

https://github.com/chrisdavenport/j3-rest-api

Is this the starting point for what we'll see in 4.0? I need to pick an approach to use for a custom extension now and am hopeful to ease refactoring when 4.0 comes. Thanks!

calligraphic

Sep 17, 2017, 5:15:12 AM9/17/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Should have added in top-level post, I see the work in Framework with a RESTful API. Is that the code that will come over to Joomla-4.x, like the DI to Joomla-3.2?

ssnobben

Sep 18, 2017, 7:14:34 AM9/18/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
This is a guy annateach you can check too..

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/capi-core-rest-api/

calligraphic

Sep 21, 2017, 2:47:20 PM9/21/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi ssnobben,

Thanks for the link. My understanding from about 2 years ago was that the Redcore RESTful API code was going to form the starting codebase for integration into Joomla 4.0, and was hoping to get pointed to anything in the repository concerning it.

Michael Babker

Sep 21, 2017, 3:03:29 PM9/21/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
There was a Google Summer of Code project this year working on a web services implementation for 4.0 (which would include REST stuff).  Their repository is at https://github.com/joomla-projects/gsoc17_webservices

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:47 PM, calligraphic <kevinbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi ssnobben,

Thanks for the link. My understanding from about 2 years ago was that the Redcore RESTful API code was going to form the starting codebase for integration into Joomla 4.0, and was hoping to get pointed to anything in the repository concerning it.

calligraphic

Sep 23, 2017, 4:06:01 PM9/23/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Thanks for the response, Michael. I've spent a few days browsing the CMS and Framework code repositories, and reading different blog posts / threads about 4.x. I have a Joomla project I'm starting (custom component/site upgrade). I understand the intention behind the Framework better now I think -- it seems more like Zend libraries, when I was trying to think of it as more like a full stand-alone framework. I think I'm going to try stay in Joomla after this project, and I hope to help with some PRs. I like writing tests - I see a lot of open issues for it. I'm really impressed with all the work you've put into the project, don't really know how you find the time and show up in forums to answer questions.

Anyway, thanks!