Google structured data for Joomla 3.7

SOHO Prospecting

Jun 6, 2017, 2:45:26 PM6/6/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi,

We have simple article published on our website . When we check this article for Google structured data we are getting errors: See attachment.
We do not have template overrides and we are using Rockettheme template.

Isn't joomla 3.7 implemented structure data? How we can fix this issue?

Please advise,
Sandra
article-google.PNG

sup...@jlhwebdesigns.com

Jun 6, 2017, 11:49:03 PM6/6/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend posting the question to the Joomla Forum at https://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=706&sid=2075bfaec3019689bcf509ed5a92eb8d

And, include a link to the website -- for access to the source code (HTML) of the Web Page will mostly likely be needed to understand the cause of the errors.

Joomla does insert some schema.org properties, and what it inserts is not always consistent with the content. For example, Joomla will mark a Category Blog as a "blog" -- in the sense of a weblog. But, Joomla articles do not have an Author, Date Published, and other schema properties.

SOHO Prospecting

Jun 7, 2017, 6:22:35 PM6/7/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi,

Why you are telling that Joomla Artilces do not have Author, Publishing date..
Here they are:

Please advise,
Sandra

sup...@jlhwebdesigns.com

Jun 9, 2017, 1:11:21 AM6/9/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com, sup...@jlhwebdesigns.com

Correction:

But, Joomla articles do not have an Author, Date Published, and other schema properties.

Should have been:

But, Joomla does not automatically insert item properties (the schema.org itemProp="") for Author, Date Published, and other schema properties. They must be entered using an editor such as the JCE.

I searched the source code for http://www.vcgb.devsoho.com/about-ventura-county/region
and did not find the required:

itemprop="author" nor
itemprop="datePublished" nor
itemprop="image" (this one is tricky) nor
itemprop="publisher" nor the Recommended
itemprop="mainEntityOfPage"

Entering MicroData (aka Structured Data aka Rich Snippets) using the JCE is currently a slow and tedious process. Hopefully, there will be a better way in the future. Currently, I have to wonder if it is worthwhile.

For the method see either:

or

And also, a linked list of the full schema:
http://schema.org/docs/full.html

This should get you on track.

kisswebdesign

Jun 11, 2017, 5:35:58 PM6/11/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
As you pointed out the data is available, it can be accessed by the template, it is up to the template to decide what to do with it (use it, ignore it, display it, etc).

If the template doesn't do what you need you can override it to do what you want. Alternatively you can use a different template that does what you want.

This is not a failure of joomla, but a function of its flexibility. It's the templates that decide how all the content and metadata is used.

sup...@jlhwebdesigns.com

Jun 20, 2017, 2:37:46 AM6/20/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
See the related plugin at: