Announcement en-GB User Interface Text Working Group

Tom Hutchison

Jan 4, 2015, 10:30:15 AM1/4/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

All

I am pleased to announce the following with Brian Teeman leading this overdue and needed core en-GB standardisation.

The PLT have accepted the proposal to review and standardise all the en-GB language strings in the core of Joomla based on the style guide that you can see here (until it gets a permanent home).

Abstract

  • The official language of Joomla is en-GB and yet the actual strings we use have been created, over 10 years, many by people who are not native en-GB speakers.
  • Create a style guide to standardise the correct usage of en-GB and assist anyone writing language strings for Joomla.
  • A secondary aim is that this style guide can be used as a basis for translation teams.
  • Traditional rules of grammar do not always apply to the web. See Break Grammar Rules on Websites for Clarity

Purpose

  • Establish official style guidelines for writing en-GB strings.
  • Ensure consistency throughout Joomla.
  • Provide translation teams with an easy framework and guidelines to create their own style guides.
  • See NNG on American vs British english for the web
  • The style guide is a living document that may be updated and added to over time as the need arises.
  • The style guide will be maintained by native en-GB speakers.

Work

Stage 1
  1. Consistency
  2. Punctuation
  3. Words to watch
  4. Capitalisation

Nothing in Stage 1 will effect Translation Teams

Stage 2
  1. Tooltips
  2. Module and plugin descriptions
  3. Manager
  4. Action or Description

There may be items in Stage 2 that will effect Translation Teams

Stage 3
  1. Create a home for the style guide
  2. Create ability for TT to fork the style guide and host centrally
  3. Formulate a process for en-GB team to review any new or changed string before it is committed to core.
Stage 4
  1. Promote style guide to extension and template developers to encourage them to adopt it.

Thanks to those already involved and their hard work towards bringing about these changes.

Tom

--
----
Tom Hutchison

jms

Jan 5, 2015, 6:14:20 AM1/5/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the announcement.

Three questions please:

1. What do you mean by:
> A secondary aim is that this style guide can be used as a basis for translation teams.

2. Could you give some examples about:
> There may be items in Stage 2 that will effect Translation Teams

3. Please explain
> • Create ability for TT to fork the style guide and host centrally

Thanks.

JM

brian teeman

Jan 5, 2015, 7:42:14 AM1/5/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 5 January 2015 11:14:20 UTC, infograf768 wrote:
Thank you for the announcement.

Three questions please:

1. What do you mean by:
> A secondary aim is that this style guide can be used as a basis for translation teams.

That translation teams can create their own style guides in their own languages. (I know some already do). The aim of the style guides is that they will not just assist people writing consistent  strings for the core but that extension developers can use them as well. For example we use "email" in the core but some extension developers use "e-mail". It is hoped that with the future greater visibility of the style guide extension developers will use it as well.

2. Could you give some examples about:
> There may be items in Stage 2 that will effect Translation Teams

3. Please explain
>         • Create ability for TT to fork the style guide and host centrally

Pretty self explanatory and ties in with your first question

brian teeman

Jan 5, 2015, 11:19:25 AM1/5/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
There are a few issues that are not specifically related to en-GB but are related to improving the consistency of the UI.

Any comments on the issues are welcome - please make them at github not here

jms

Jan 6, 2015, 8:21:32 AM1/6/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

On 5 janv. 2015, at 13:42, brian teeman wrote:

> 2. Could you give some examples about:
> > There may be items in Stage 2 that will effect Translation Teams
>
> https://github.com/joomla/user-interface-text/blob/master/Changes.md

thanks for reply, IMHO this is NOT specific to en-GB and should be the object of separate PRs for each normalization.

JM

brian teeman

Jan 6, 2015, 8:49:01 AM1/6/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com