Component Install: Could not copy PHP install file

Andrew Eddie

Mar 30, 2009, 5:34:24 AM3/30/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com, joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Some of you may be encountering install problems (as alerted by grumpy
clients, etc, etc). The error is something like (kudos to the JFusion
guys and Marijke for bringing this up):

JInstaller::install: File
'/xxxx/tmp/install_49ce897371c92/jfusion.install.php' does not exist.
Component Install: Could not copy PHP install file.

This could be tripped by a few things but for some 3PD's using the
"upgrade" method in your XML manifest files AND are using a /admin/
sub-folder (for example), a slight change in 1.5.10 now causes this
error to be thrown.

The workaround is to prepend the install file tag with the full path,
for example:

<installfile>admin/install.qcontacts.php</installfile>

Unfortunately there is no choice but to rebuild your download
packages, so guess what yours truly is doing for the next few hours...

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com/reference.html - the art of becoming a
Joomla developer

Andrew Eddie

Mar 30, 2009, 5:41:51 AM3/30/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com, joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
...and unfortunately the workaround doesn't work

It was not possible to copy the selected file.
JInstaller::install: Failed to copy file:
/Users/eddieajau/htdocs/joomla/1.5.10/tmp/install_49d08842640e2/admin/install/install.php
to /Users/eddieajau/htdocs/joomla/1.5.10/administrator/components/com_comments/admin/install/install.php

Component Install: Could not copy PHP install file.

Oh it's going to be a long night ...

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Sam Moffatt

Mar 30, 2009, 5:48:06 AM3/30/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
The work around is to learn how the installfile tag actually works. I
have a patch in that instead of silently ignoring incorrect install
files it raises a warning with a link to the below page and works
around it.

http://docs.joomla.org/Incorrect_Install_File

Sam Moffatt
http://pasamio.id.au

Louis Landry

Mar 30, 2009, 10:00:01 AM3/30/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I feel like this is one of those things that we should have been out in front of.  At least had a note about it in the release announcement.  Right or wrong a lot of third party developers have used it the way it worked since 1.5's release.  Thanks for the info guys.

- Louis
--
Development Coordinator
Joomla! ... because open source matters.

Amy Stephen

Mar 30, 2009, 11:01:43 AM3/30/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Louis -

The problems were discovered after release. We did not catch it during Bug Squad Testing.

Is there possibly value in sending a notice to the JED list?

I'm glad we have our post-release Wiki resource and hope the community discovers it, more and more. It's become a valuable resource for communicating fixes to new issues that arise.

Thanks...Amy

infograf768

Mar 30, 2009, 11:37:09 AM3/30/09
to Joomla! CMS Development