[concept] Override option in menu (light ux)

yannick berges

Apr 14, 2015, 6:14:04 AM4/14/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Hello i work to create a lighter interface for joomla with showon option https://docs.joomla.org/Form_field

My idea is to create a button to hidde all options and explain where are the global option
if user want to override he set yes and all options were display

What do you think about it ?

Fedir

Apr 14, 2015, 7:22:47 AM4/14/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
looks like a good idea ;)

вівторок, 14 квітня 2015 р. 13:14:04 UTC+3 користувач yannick berges написав:

Bakual

Apr 14, 2015, 3:08:31 PM4/14/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't like that in core. We have enoug toggles and parameters already. Adding one to hide/show all other options sounds like a bad idea to me. Also it's probably not the best idea from an accessibility view.

Fedir

Apr 14, 2015, 4:38:44 PM4/14/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
from point of view "programing" - it could be complicated to support all these "toggles", also "showon" feature not so perfect...
but from point of view "UI simplification" - it is good idea

вівторок, 14 квітня 2015 р. 22:08:31 UTC+3 користувач Bakual написав:

yannick berges

Apr 15, 2015, 3:38:25 AM4/15/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
@bakual what do you mean about accessibility view ?
i think ui simplification is important because joomla is powerfull but for beguinner we have too much button ...

Roberto Segura

Apr 15, 2015, 4:11:57 AM4/15/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I think we can simplify the forms a lot but my idea has been always something to allow users to customise forms. Something like a customise form button where users can hide form fields (in the future move them also dinamically between tab?) just clicking on a button that appears at the side of the optional fields. When a field is set as "hidden" (only allowed for optional params) an AJAX request is sent and the fields are saved as json. Next form display will check if there is a user setting saved for that form and apply it on contentPrepareForm.

I thought about it when thinking in a way to allow users to save search tools filters.  Once filters are applied you only have to save the filters as json and display the custom filters in a new field called "Your saved searches".

I think that's more powerful and useful for users than disabling things at code level. When a site is developed you can customise forms for the client so they only have the required stuff there.

yannick berges

Apr 15, 2015, 4:14:42 AM4/15/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
ok i understand

Tomasz Wędziński

Apr 15, 2015, 3:04:56 PM4/15/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
IMHO if you want to show less options than it is not a good idea, becouse it is already in hidden Tab. But if you want show options only when user override something this could be useful.

Still, info where are global options is good idea. - many times I had to explain this.

jms

Apr 16, 2015, 2:59:29 AM4/16/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
There was already a discussion about this a while ago:
Basically, except in some minor cases, the admins nees to know what are the possible parameters at first sight and not by a general showon.
The obvious case is a site where there are multiple admins. If one hides all, then the others may not think of the possible parameters.

Hope it helps.

JM
> What do you think about it ?

Cyril Rezé

Apr 16, 2015, 7:05:51 AM4/16/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

I think of 2 things similar to the current discussion :

1. a global switch button to toggle between a simplify admin interface (minimum fields to manage content) and a full advanced interface (what we have today

2. save filters as set by the user ( a first attend was this, but i closed this PR as was not the best way to process : https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/2808

About 1 :
- Save setting of the toggle button Simple/Advanced mode individually to the browser (so by visitor as it is for the toggle sidebar)
- this could be managed in the view, in 2 ways : duplicated layout, or maybe better, by using a class (and doing the job as for the sidebar using the class name)

About 2 :
- Save setting by view to the browser (As Roberto suggested, with a Ajax request)
- A button "Save this filtering" which could be an icon, by view, for example next to the filters.

The goal could be to not use options, but browser. (i don't know how to process all this job, but i've got some ideas about UX)

About the idea of Yannick of "a lighter interface for joomla" i truly agree that this possibility will be a great addition for Joomla users. +1000

Cyril

Joerg

Apr 16, 2015, 11:03:54 AM4/16/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
This discussion reminded me of this extension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GNmWzver6s
But I don't find it in the JED anymore.

ssnobben

Apr 17, 2015, 3:27:53 AM4/17/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
As I understand its the CQI extension (custom quick icons)  that is not supported for Joomla 3.0 but used/forked for Flexicontent CCK -- see this link if working,

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WSR2Z_IZNs0J:www.flexicontent.org/en/forum/22-extensions/7950-cqi-custom-quick-icons.html+&cd=3&hl=sv&ct=clnk&gl=se

In this link you can dl a version too and there is a latest version on Joomla Forge also that you can search..

yannick berges

Apr 17, 2015, 4:40:16 AM4/17/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
hello for flexicontent no need this we do a complet module system http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/administration/extensions-quickicons/flexi-admin

yannick berges

Apr 17, 2015, 4:41:28 AM4/17/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
but the question isn't for dasboard but for other part (menu link for eample)

brian teeman

Apr 17, 2015, 10:55:18 AM4/17/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

yannick berges

May 11, 2015, 4:41:50 AM5/11/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we need to create more dependencie option like (sorry i am not dev)
if (GLOBALVALUE && MENUVALUE){
}

but it will create a big impact for dev ... maybe we can create a meta function to create GLOBALVALUE && MENUVALUE = ACTUALVALUE
in order to bring compatibility

i realy think joomla is a powerfull CMS but work on dependencie option will be a good way to democatrise it