custom_data and system_data in #__extensions?

Daniel Dimitrov

Apr 13, 2015, 8:07:38 AM4/13/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Can someone point me to information or issue number when those columns were added? What is their purpose? Can an extension developer use those fields or are they reserved for something?

sovainfo

Apr 13, 2015, 11:50:21 AM4/13/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
See cd2bc3d56d4a38f6d9ea6f1c262727f06808045e of Jun 21, 2009 in git.

Bakual

Apr 13, 2015, 2:52:40 PM4/13/15
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
system_data is used for storing compatibility information in Joomla 2.5.28. See https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/5015
However that function hasn't been implemented in Joomla 3.
Other than that both fields aren't used currently.

I'd say you're fine to use the custom_data, but I would not count on system_data never being used for anything.