Joomla 3.6 progress so far

Chris Davenport

Apr 16, 2016, 1:25:34 PM4/16/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
I thought it would be good to provide an update on progress towards the Joomla 3.6 release and also point out the areas where we need more volunteers to get involved.

Custom fields
Custom fields is progressing very well.  More testing is needed so if you have some time to spare, please check it out and submit your feedback.

The custom fields repository is here: https://github.com/joomla-projects/custom-fields

New router
The new router from Hannes Papenberg was already merged into the 3.6.x branch, but it still needs more testing, especially with third-party extensions.  I'm currently working on writing up the documentation for it.  Please report any bugs on the issue tracker.

Media Manager
Jisse Rietsma is taking the lead for this feature.  Currently we need more people to get involved in testing if we're to meet the target, so please check it out.

The media manager improvements can be seen here: https://github.com/jissereitsma/media-manager-improvement

Service Layer
Unfortunately, this still needs some work.  In particular, to downgrade the library dependency so it can work on PHP 5.3.10.  Either that or it will need reworking so it can be added as a regular library instead of being composer installed.  It looks unlikely that I will have time to do anything with it before the beta release date.  Please get in touch with me if you'd like to get involved.

The service layer code is available here: https://github.com/chrisdavenport/service
There's a not especially good demonstration of it here: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/8747

Web services
I haven't had any time to put into this recently and it is extremely unlikely to be ready in time for the 3.6 release.  I intend to get back to it once 3.6 is safely in the bag.

Admin template
Due to the short timescale for 3.6, this is now scheduled for 3.7 instead.

Other stuff
An interesting new feature has been proposed by Fedir Zinchuk (Fedik) which will add sub-form support to Joomla's form handling.  Please take some time to review and test the PR.

You can find it here: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/7829

There's a nice list of changes that are ready to be added to 3.6.0 here: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/milestones/Joomla!%203.6.0

I'd like to put out an alpha release very soon.  This will bring all the features that we're currently thinking of including together for the first time.  I think we're still on track for a first beta release by the end of this month, at which point the feature list will be fixed.

Chris.

--
Chris Davenport
Joomla Production Leadership Team

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Apr 16, 2016, 6:37:24 PM4/16/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Not sure how to test the new router ?  Links in the Category list still show the category and numbers ?

Will be trying out the custom fields soon ?

Is there anyway to test updating from 3.5 ?

JoeJoomla Joe

Apr 16, 2016, 6:51:37 PM4/16/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Just tried to get in touch with the new router but it seems a bit tricky and breaking backwards compatibility as i feared.

I just opened a new issue here: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/9950

Still experimenting with it, but it looks like menu item links are broken when the page visited has not a direct menu alias, for example a raw link or a component/contact, component/users, etc link.

ssnobben

Apr 20, 2016, 4:13:09 AM4/20/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Thanks Chris for this great update!  :)

So the Marco lead new Joomla process is dead? It would be good to have an announcement for people so we all know whats going on and why this then was shut down..

brian teeman

Apr 20, 2016, 4:24:54 AM4/20/16
to Joomla! CMS Development

On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 09:13:09 UTC+1, ssnobben wrote:
Thanks Chris for this great update!  :)

So the Marco lead new Joomla process is dead? It would be good to have an announcement for people so we all know whats going on and why this then was shut down..

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Marco is leading J4(next) and Chris is leading J3.6

ssnobben

Apr 21, 2016, 4:56:39 AM4/21/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Bcs there is no report since  + 5 months! -->  2015-12-02!

Maybe this group doesnt exist or meet or ..I dont know. Just strange that they just dont make a word even its not progressing. You can just report that its a stall in the dev progress for some reason or report that changes are made etc. Like Chris is doing for J 3.6. It was good to begin with and then its just silent...

Joomla!4 archtecture minutes of meeting 2015/12/02

By Marco Dings on 2015-12-02 19:50 in Joomla 4 Architecture

I just many follow Joomla development from the official Joomla page like https://volunteers.joomla.org/working-groups/joomla-4-architecture.

There is not good if decisions is non-transparent and going on by non transparent discussions/decisions in other channel without reporting the background incentive of the decisions made to the "public" Joomla people worldwide.

Dont you agree?

This is so important dev step for the survival of Joomla so its important to all of us.

Hannes Papenberg

Apr 21, 2016, 5:26:31 AM4/21/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla-dev-cms/mJMObLUcI10/4T8HpgnyBwAJ

Am 21.04.2016 um 10:56 schrieb ssnobben:
> [...]
>
> *Other stuff
> *An interesting new feature has been proposed by Fedir
> Zinchuk (Fedik) which will add sub-form support to
> Joomla's form handling. Please take some time to review
> and test the PR.
>
> You can find it here:
> https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/7829
> <https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/7829>
>
> There's a nice list of changes that are ready to be added
> to 3.6.0 here:
> https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/milestones/Joomla!%203.6.0
> <https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/milestones/Joomla%21%203.6.0>
>
> I'd like to put out an alpha release very soon. This will
> bring all the features that we're currently thinking of
> including together for the first time. I think we're
> still on track for a first beta release by the end of this
> month, at which point the feature list will be fixed.

Sergio Manzi

Apr 21, 2016, 12:44:23 PM4/21/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, I may have missed something, but is there some code available, and in case, where?

brian teeman

Apr 21, 2016, 1:11:53 PM4/21/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
It's all in the first post by Chris

Sergio Manzi

Apr 21, 2016, 1:25:48 PM4/21/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, I was talking about J! 4 (unhappily the focus of the thread had shifted in the last few posts...)

dgt41

Apr 23, 2016, 6:20:39 AM4/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Chris, thanks for giving us a heads up for 3.6.
I would like to add something here:
One of the milestones for 3.5 was the wide usage of JLayouts in order to separate the output from the logic (forms etc..). This wasn't delivered in 3.5, but I feel that it should be one of the major stuff for 3.6. It doesn't really help to get people working on new templates or other long term solutions if we don't separate the output from the logic. In matter of fact a new template CANNOT be envisioned (without breaking B/C) if we don't fulfil this requirement.
So it would be nice if we move all the fields and JHTML elements to JLayouts.
I have tested code that I can commit for a lot of these.
So please let me know if that is something we should try to accomplish.

Dimitris Grammatikogiannis

Chris Davenport

Apr 23, 2016, 7:10:23 AM4/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Dimitris,

I'd certainly like to see some PRs directed at that.  It would need to be fully backwards-compatible of course.

Perhaps submit one or two PRs first, so that we can all agree on the approach?

Chris.

Buddhima Wijeweera

Apr 30, 2016, 10:05:56 AM4/30/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Chris & Jisse,

Is there a documentation out there on testing new media manager improvements?
And what will be the new features included for media manager in Joomla 3.6 ?

Thanks,

Joe Sonne

May 30, 2016, 2:03:07 PM5/30/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi there,

I'm Joe Sonne, owner of JoeJoomla.com.

I'd like to make it clear that the JoeJoomla Joe above is not me at all.

Many people in the Joomla Community, including several people in this thread personally know me and my involvement in the Joomla Community.

You are not authorized to use the name JoeJoomla or my logo for your any of your online activity.

I would appreciate it if you rectify the situation quickly.

Thank you,

Joe Sonne (aka JoeJoomla)

piotr_cz

Jul 27, 2016, 2:28:05 PM7/27/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Any news on the progress on next minor version?

Chris Davenport

Jul 27, 2016, 3:54:27 PM7/27/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
I'll be putting an update out shortly.

Chris.

dgt41

Jul 28, 2016, 10:25:56 AM7/28/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Chris,

can you start merging the PR's for the fields? (https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pulls/dgt41)
There are couple of them that need some further attention e.g. calendar and combobox
And of course further work on the JHtml folder...

I think that is better to have the code committed early in the brach so possible regressions could be found and patched

Dimitris