Duplicate URLs with Joomla 3.7 need code for htaccess

Los Carnales

Apr 28, 2017, 10:09:21 AM4/28/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hello,

I need if someone can help me fix access to the same URL with different extensions at the end of the URL.
This happens with all site URLs, repeating the same procedure by duplicating URLs.

Duplicate URL Examples:

domain.com/services.html
domain.com/services/
domain.com/services
domain.com/services/services.htmlhahahahahah (if I add any text after .html I can access the URL)

Desired URL: domain.com/services.html

It is possible to perform a redirect using the htaccess file and when someone tries to access any URL if it does not comply with the extension ".html", redirect the URL to ".html".
The tests performed are in Joomla 3.7 without any component to generate friendly URLs, with the basic router of Joomla and activating in Global configuration add suffix to the URLs.
This problem not only happens to me, it will happen to everyone who uses Joomla 3.7 and it is a big mistake that they are not supposed to modify until the Joomla 4.0 version.
This is something that destroys all the work done on our sites and of course on GOOGLE "Duplicate Content" = you are out of our service.

Joerg

Apr 28, 2017, 3:04:32 PM4/28/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
My reply might be better suited for the Joomla forum, but anyway...

Desired URL: domain.com/services.html

I would recommend to disable 'Adds Suffix to URL' in Joomla configuration. It's useless. Search engines don't need it anymore since maybe a decade ago and modern browsers don't need it either to determine the type of content. The only reason it's there is that many people erroneously still think that an url requires an htm or html suffix.

I think some of your 'working' URLs above are due to your Joomla/browser cache enabled while you were experimenting with the URLs.
The ...services/services.htmlhahahahahah should normally trigger a 404 page in J3.7.0. Other 'URL-typing errors' might redirect the user for example to the homepage.

This is something that destroys all the work done on our sites and of course on GOOGLE "Duplicate Content" = you are out of our service.

Google doesn't invent URL suffixes. And if you have multiple URLs pointing to the same content in Joomla, it normally adds a canonical tag for the search engines into the generated page source code. Also multiple URLs to the same content on a single website is NOT what Google defines as duplicate content.

Los Carnales

May 2, 2017, 3:39:15 AM5/2/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
In this case I need to have the suffix activated because I have more than 4000 URLs with .html extension and now I will not be redirecting all these URLs.
In reference to the Joomla cache, I have not activated the cache in the global configuration of Joomla and the problem has to come from elsewhere. The most normal would be that when accessing a URL that is not correct in this case with .html extension at the end is redirected to the correct page or failing to take you to page 404, but it does not and I think this is A problem with the default router of Joomla 3.7.
Of course Google does not invent URL suffixes, but the URLs are repeated and here is the problem, I will have to edit each URL by placing the cononic tag, this would be crazy as far as time spent.

I also thank you for your attention and response.

ssnobben

May 17, 2017, 2:23:54 AM5/17/17
to Joomla! CMS Development

This is something that destroys all the work done on our sites and of course on GOOGLE "Duplicate Content" = you are out of our service.

Google doesn't invent URL suffixes. And if you have multiple URLs pointing to the same content in Joomla, it normally adds a canonical tag for the search engines into the generated page source code. Also multiple URLs to the same content on a single website is NOT what Google defines as duplicate content.

Can you verify that Google not treat this as "Duplicate Content" now for Joomla sites? Any info, links etc.  Bcs if Google does, this would have huge impact of Joomla SEO SERPs.

Hannes Papenberg

May 17, 2017, 6:02:24 AM5/17/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

"However, in some cases, content is deliberately duplicated across
domains in an attempt to manipulate search engine rankings or win more
traffic. Deceptive practices like this can result in a poor user
experience, when a visitor sees substantially the same content repeated
within a set of search results."

The emphasise here is on the "across domains". Read the rest of the
article and you see that duplicate content is not a serious problem of
Joomla. It is something that we should work on, but there are a lot
bigger issues than that. For example fixing the robots.txt some time ago
had a several times larger (positive) impact on SER than anything that
we have done so far to "fix" duplicate content.

Hannes