Mootools still in use?

Honkoman

Aug 9, 2017, 7:17:56 AM8/9/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
I read some time ago Mootools is deprecated and (should be) no longer used in Joomla 3. Also also read that Joomla should go completely vanilla JS.

Now i see that for example the fields editor plugin (or pagebreak, images, ...) still use mootools based modal windows.
The plugin was integrated in 3.7.0. It's clear that mootools can cause a lot of trouble, when being present.

I have the problem that mootools causes a datepicker field to get an "display: none" after loosing focus.

So what is the road for mootools?

George Wilson

Aug 22, 2017, 7:38:24 AM8/22/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Joomla is removing mootools across the board. In Joomla 4 it has been totally removed.

With maybe a few exceptions the only place we are using mootools now in J3 is in modals. This is largely for compatibility reasons. Often modals are controlled by 3rd parties who often initially integrated with mootools. This is why in a lot of modals you'll see it's a parameter (enabled by true in J3 for compatibility) - for example https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/blob/986a4ab8a2c4be153c48d7b14e1cae50567499e6/administrator/components/com_users/views/users/tmpl/modal.php#L30-L43

The reason the fields editor plugin is that way is just for compatibility with the other editor interfaces we have

Kind Regards,
George