Single consolidated folder for frontend files

Izhar Aazmi

Dec 8, 2017, 9:47:30 AM12/8/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Basically, I think it would be better if we could have a folder such as "/site" which would contain all modules, components, language, layouts (site specific layouts) etc which are specific to frontend. This is similar to what we have for backend as "/administrator".

The shared parts like libraries, media, images, layouts (shared layouts) etc can stay in the site root as they are currently.

The dispatch mechanism shall load the application transparently so that (obviously) the site is accessible directly at the root Url.

Before I discuss more on this I'd like to get initial feedback so that I know whether it is even worth discussing.

Hannes Papenberg

Dec 8, 2017, 5:17:40 PM12/8/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Izhar,
how should this exactly be set up? If you want to move all files
specific to an application into a seperate folder, you would have an
administrator folder, a site folder, maybe the installation folder...
And then you would have to somehow access the right application. If you
change the current structure, that would mean that you can not simply
copy the Joomla source files onto your server and point the domain to
the root folder to reach the site application. Instead you would have to
point the domain to the /site subfolder and then create some form of
alias to reach the administrator or installation applications. Unless
you want to keep the administrator in a subfolder of the site
application, but in that case you are actually only moving plugins and
libraries out of the root folder... I think it would greatly increase
the complexity to set up Joomla, especially for newbies and I don't see
any benefit for us in there. So unless you can show me a good reason for
this which brings added value for the users, I wouldn't introduce this
change for changes sake.

Hannes

Michael Babker

Dec 8, 2017, 5:45:36 PM12/8/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
At best to have app specific subdirectories you could move the root components, language, modules, and templates directories into a site subdirectory.  The layouts, libraries, and plugins directories are not app specific and shouldn't move into an app directory (likewise you could argue that there are things like administrator/manifests that shouldn't be part of the admin app).

All in all, I wouldn't redo the structure personally without a strong benefit and right now I just don't see it.

- Michael Please pardon any errors, this message was sent from my iPhone.