Removing use of deprecated classes, methods, properties etc from the Joomla core as far as possible.

Izhar Aazmi

Jan 19, 2016, 9:12:51 AM1/19/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
When we deprecate something, we mean to instruct / warn the other developers to stop using that particular thing in their new codes and adapt the existing ones the sooner.
However, if the core itself continues using a lot of deprecated stuffs everywhere then the purpose is almost defeated.
This also makes deprecation logs clumsy and useless at times.

Such as JError, JObject or JArrayHelper etc. are used all over the cms core.

I understand that some of those usage are hard to get rid of due to the backward compatibility factors. But we can try to eliminate them at the maximum extent possible, slowly step by step.

I'd like people to suggest what can be changed and what not. I'd love to work towards this myself but certainly I'd need some guidance and checks :D

Thanks.

Bakual

Jan 19, 2016, 10:51:54 AM1/19/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
I saw a PR to remove the usages of JArrayHelper, don't remember if it's merged yet but it's a simple one.
JError and JObject are harded because of dependencies in the current MVC. Thus those still are around until we have refactored those. That is most likely a task for J4 to either create new MVC classes or remove those couplings to JObject/JError.

If there are other places, feel free to give them a shoot. Most should be possible.
Message has been deleted

Richard Fath

Jan 19, 2016, 11:11:23 AM1/19/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
There are 3 PRs #8935, #8925 and #8932 by andrepereiradasilva in progress, which claim to remove most of the depreceated logs.

Just wanted to mention this here to avoid someone doing duplicate work.

Izhar Aazmi

Jan 19, 2016, 12:05:50 PM1/19/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
That PR was sent by myself. I was trying to PR one component at a time. But I held myself till the pending ones are merged. #8394 #8396 #8397

Certainly there are some or more things we can't stop using for now. But other remaining things should be looked up for.

# previous comment deleted for privacy concern. Actual content is retained here.