Updating from 2.5.28 errors

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Nov 22, 2016, 1:57:43 PM11/22/16
to Joomla! CMS Development

Used https://gist.github.com/mbabker/d7bfb4e1e2fbc6b7815a733607f89281 to update to 3.5.1 then 3.6.4 but still have errors
Extensions >>> Manage >>> Update shows

Warning

Update: Could not open update site #1 "Joomla! Core", URL: https://update.joomla.org/core/list.xml
Update: Could not open update site #2 "Joomla! Extension Directory", URL: https://update.joomla.org/jed/list.xml
Update: Could not open update site #3 "Accredited Joomla! Translations", URL: https://update.joomla.org/language/translationlist_3.xml
Update: Could not open update site #4 "Joomla! Update Component Update Site", URL: https://update.joomla.org/core/extensions/com_joomlaupdate.xml
Update: Could not open update site #5 "Weblinks Update Site", URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/joomla-extensions/weblinks/master/manifest.xml

Michael Babker

Nov 22, 2016, 2:23:34 PM11/22/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I make no guarantee that works right for 2.5 to 3.x upgrades.  That process/code snippet was really built for folks who had been using the extension manager to upgrade 3.x sites but no longer could after 3.5's release and were in environments that they couldn't remote download the package.  Once you get to 3.6 that whole thing gets invalidated by the upgraded update component anyway.  (Not saying I'll unpublish the script, it still has use for people insisting on manual upgrades for whatever reason, but everything shipped with and supported by core should be used first and that script is really a method of last resort).

If you can reproduce the issue with a "conventional" core upgrade then we might have an issue to address, but please don't take my quick use tool as an "officially supported" thing.

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Nov 22, 2016, 2:41:04 PM11/22/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
If you can reproduce the issue with a "conventional" core upgrade then we might have an issue to address

The point is that the core upgrade is not working on j2.5.28 I used uniform server to install on localhost as my xampp is php7 and J2.5.28 wont install on it.

With uniform server the the Joomla update component is not working even if the update file is put in /tmp ... and the only way to update was using your script.

I had no problems before when updating from 2.5.28 using xampp with php 5.6 so unsure if it's a problem with uniform server or if something changed on the update servers.

I discovered it why helping in a forum where a user has a problem updating from J2.5.28

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Webdongle Elgnodbew <in...@weblinksonline.co.uk> wrote:

Used https://gist.github.com/mbabker/d7bfb4e1e2fbc6b7815a733607f89281 to update to 3.5.1 then 3.6.4 but still have errors
Extensions >>> Manage >>> Update shows

Warning

Update: Could not open update site #1 "Joomla! Core", URL: https://update.joomla.org/core/list.xml
Update: Could not open update site #2 "Joomla! Extension Directory", URL: https://update.joomla.org/jed/list.xml
Update: Could not open update site #3 "Accredited Joomla! Translations", URL: https://update.joomla.org/language/translationlist_3.xml
Update: Could not open update site #4 "Joomla! Update Component Update Site", URL: https://update.joomla.org/core/extensions/com_joomlaupdate.xml
Update: Could not open update site #5 "Weblinks Update Site", URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/joomla-extensions/weblinks/master/manifest.xml

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Michael Babker

Nov 22, 2016, 3:04:13 PM11/22/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Well, I guess that's "good" to hear.  I only make the distinction on using my script here in case someone tries chasing bugs using it thinking it's an official resource and that's the one thing I wanted to place the most emphasis on (it not being official).

Sergio Manzi

Nov 22, 2016, 3:17:46 PM11/22/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Hello, Kevin!

On 2016-11-22 20:41, Webdongle Elgnodbew wrote:
With uniform server the the Joomla update component is not working even if the update file is put in /tmp ... and the only way to update was using your script.

I haven't followed the whole of this conversation, but I can confirm the above:

On one of my test sites hosted under Uniform Server (13.2.1 with both PHP 7.0.12 or 5.6.27) I'm unable to upgrade using the Joomla component. Last successful update was performed from J! 3.4.8 to 3.6.2. Now trying to update from 3.6.2 to 3.6.4 I'm getting this:

and in the log file I have:

2016-11-22T19:48:29+00:00    INFO 127.0.0.1    update    Update started by user xxxxx yyyyy (786). Old version is 3.6.2.
2016-11-22T19:48:30+00:00    INFO 127.0.0.1    update    Downloading update file from https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3/3-6-4/joomla_3-6-4-stable-update_package-zip?format=zip&jcompat=my.zip.
2016-11-22T19:48:38+00:00    INFO 127.0.0.1    update    File joomla_3-6-4-stable-update_package-zip?format=zip&jcompat=my.zip successfully downloaded.
2016-11-22T19:48:39+00:00    INFO 127.0.0.1    update    Starting installation of new version.

In the /tmp directory I have nothing. The cURL support is activated, if this does matter...

That's a PITA...

smz

Marko Đedović

Nov 23, 2016, 9:05:07 AM11/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Sergio, I experienced exactly the same problem just now. Local Wamp installation with PHP 7.0.10 (I tried 5.6.25 also), curl enabled, 3.6.2 fails to update exactly the same way. Manually uploading the package through 'Upload & update' worked though.

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Nov 23, 2016, 9:29:45 AM11/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Sergio

I get the same error with the 3.6.4 site that was updated from 2.5.28 ... on xampp after moving the updated site to it (.jpa file :D ) ... I clicked reinstall core files.

But clicking reinstall core files on a 3.6.3 rc3 downloaded the file and unpacked it.  There must be a way the 2.5.8 is fetching the file and the local server that is causing it.

btw
The 2.5.28 on uniform server showed (in the Joomla update component) that the system did not meet the minimum requirements ?

Sergio Manzi

Nov 23, 2016, 10:01:39 AM11/23/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Hello everybody!

@Marko: when you talk about your "Local Wamp installation", are you referring to "Uniform Server" (http://www.uniformserver.com/) or something else, like e.g. Romain Bourdon's WampServer (http://www.wampserver.com/en/) or something "home brewed"?

@Kevin: I haven't tested upgrading from 2.5.28, but my feeling (nothing more than that!!!) is that's something more generic, probably introduced with 3.5.0

Leo Lammerink

Nov 23, 2016, 10:22:17 AM11/23/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

So just for my understanding we are facing this just on a local server since I am not experiencing this on any online (cloud) server where we upgrade Joomla 2.5.28 to J3..5.1 followed by an upgrade to Joomla 3.6.4?

Leo

Sergio Manzi

Nov 23, 2016, 10:28:29 AM11/23/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

it seems to be Windows related (or at least Uniform Server related)

Leo Lammerink

Nov 23, 2016, 10:33:33 AM11/23/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

So it's not a Joomla issue

Sergio Manzi

Nov 23, 2016, 10:36:04 AM11/23/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

I think that's a potentially wrong inference.

Marko Đedović

Nov 23, 2016, 10:40:13 AM11/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Sergio, Wamp server (http://www.wampserver.com/en/) on Windows

Michael Babker

Nov 23, 2016, 10:45:37 AM11/23/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
There is a Joomla issue.  See https://github.com/joomla/joomla-websites/issues/742 and associated links.

It's fixed in staging.  What I'm still researching is a way to ensure it can be fixed for older versions of Joomla (since we obviously can't change the code there).  With the update component, it writes the filename as basename($downloadUrl) basically, so it's trying to write the filename as `joomla_3-6-4-stable-update_package-zip?format=zip&jcompat=my.zip` which isn't allowed in Windows (question mark is reserved).  If we tried removing the query string the file name would be `joomla_3-6-4-stable-update_package-zip` and would have no file extension (if there's any code relying on the name having one then that's broken).  We aren't using URL suffixes on the downloads site and at this point enabling them with Joomla's "unique" handling of that would honestly hurt our SEO more than help anything (Joomla isn't smart enough to redirect a non-suffixed URL to suffixed so in the case of one of our sites with suffixes both https://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5692-road-to-joomla-3-7.html and https://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5692-road-to-joomla-3-7 are valid URLs duplicating content without a canonical definition; I'm not fixing Joomla's routing for this).

One theory which may work out is building a set of .htaccess rules that can at the server level redirect https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3/3-6-4/joomla_3-6-4-stable-update_package-zip.zip (what the URL would be as generated by Akeeba Release System if we were using URL suffixes, replace the .zip suffix with each supported file extension) to https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3/3-6-4/joomla_3-6-4-stable-update_package-zip?format=zip (same comment about replacing zip suffix/format).  Considering it's a holiday weekend here in the US I might actually find time to test that, but no guarantees.  But that will also rely on older Joomla versions actually handling redirects correctly (which I really hope they do, otherwise anyone trying to update a 1.6 site using the update system (and remember at that point it was using the regular update system, the update component didn't come until 2.5.4) is royally screwed).

Sergio Manzi

Nov 23, 2016, 11:02:07 AM11/23/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Got it. What I'm not getting is how Kevin had it working using xampp, unless that was xampp under Linux or MacOS...

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Nov 23, 2016, 7:18:21 PM11/23/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Sergio

xampp on windows 10 but used J3.6.3 rc3 on Testing channel which finds
https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/releases/download/3.6.3-rc3/Joomla_3.6.3-rc3-Release_Candidate-Update_Package.zip

(notice no question mark in that url)

Sergio Manzi

Nov 24, 2016, 8:07:05 AM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Confirmed, Kevin: switching to the "Testing" update channel I too was able to upgrade my test site.

The problem does not lies in Windows or using Uniform Server vs. xampp or any other WAMP platform, but in the URL returned by the update server (as Michael already explained).

Cheers,

smz

sovainfo

Nov 24, 2016, 9:17:48 AM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development

Sergio Manzi

Nov 24, 2016, 9:39:03 AM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, sovainfo. Nice fix, although it is specific for J! 2.5.28 (it wouldn't had worked in my case...).

What I still fail to understand is why the normal update channel must return that problematic filename-with-extension-as-a-query-string URL while the testing channel can return a clean filename-with-extension URL that doesn't create issues under Windows. Is that because the testing update package is hosted on GitHub?

Maybe that was exactly what Michael was explaining he is willing to address this weekend, but I didn't fully understand that...

sovainfo

Nov 24, 2016, 9:47:49 AM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
The fix is intended for any version. Just checked version 3.4.6. The fix applies for the appropriate line in the download function.

What makes you say it is only for 2.5.28 and not for your situation?

Sergio Manzi

Nov 24, 2016, 10:06:52 AM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
... because I suppose in different Joomla versions the core hack should be applied to a different line of code, not line 201.

BTW, why preg_replace() and not just str_replace()?

On 2016-11-24 15:47, sovainfo wrote:
The fix is intended for any version. Just checked version 3.4.6. The fix applies for the appropriate line in the download function.

What makes you say it is only for 2.5.28 and not for your situation?

sovainfo

Nov 24, 2016, 10:27:30 AM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Obviously, the line number is version specific and no part of the fix. You would need to find the line for your version in use.
The fix is for the issue that an url is used to determine a filename.
Both are unrelated, they just happened to be the same! Not anymore since the introduction of downloads.joomla.org.

Don't know how to get the filename without an actual upload. Originally suspected to need a regular expression. That might still be a better permanent fix to apply to core. Something like replacing /-zip\?.*/  with ".zip". Not sure that is an correct pattern.

Don't know the reason for requiring the change in the url.

Michael Babker

Nov 24, 2016, 11:19:08 AM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
When we launched the downloads site we changed serving the packages from GitHub to the downloads site.  That's why the URLs changed.

FWIW I asked in the JBS Glip chat for about a month before launching the site for folks to test updates using the site, and inherently that same URL structure.  Nobody reported an issue during that time so I'm going to assume all testing was done using non-Windows platforms.

sovainfo

Nov 24, 2016, 11:46:32 AM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Again, the issue is that the url is improperly turned into a filename. That is why it doesn't detect the already downloaded patch.

So, not restricted to the Windows platform. Indeed, functionality not properly tested. Poor impact analysis by those that did!

sovainfo

Nov 24, 2016, 11:48:13 AM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
In addition, not limited to J2.5.28, applies to updates from any version!

sovainfo

Nov 24, 2016, 12:00:33 PM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Obviously, you can move the update to joomla_3-5-1-stable-update_package-zip?format=zip&jcompat=my.zip in order for Joomla! Update to recognize the already downloaded patch and prevent downloading it.

Due to NTFS naming restrictions that doesn't work for the Windows platform. No '?' allowed.

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Nov 24, 2016, 12:19:08 PM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Michael

FWIW I asked in the JBS Glip chat for about a month before launching the site for folks to test updates using the site, and inherently that same URL structure.  Nobody reported an issue during that time so I'm going to assume all testing was done using non-Windows platforms.

Sorry don't use JB-glib .... and missed it on here.

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 9:27 AM, sovainfo <webm...@sovainfo.nl> wrote:
Obviously, the line number is version specific and no part of the fix. You would need to find the line for your version in use.
The fix is for the issue that an url is used to determine a filename.
Both are unrelated, they just happened to be the same! Not anymore since the introduction of downloads.joomla.org.

Don't know how to get the filename without an actual upload. Originally suspected to need a regular expression. That might still be a better permanent fix to apply to core. Something like replacing /-zip\?.*/  with ".zip". Not sure that is an correct pattern.

Don't know the reason for requiring the change in the url.

Michael Babker

Nov 24, 2016, 12:21:36 PM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Not blaming you or anyone specifically, just saying I did ask for folks to test and did get some feedback.  Obviously I should've made an explicit request for testing the Windows environment or asked those who did test during that period what platforms they were testing on.  Either way what's done is done and now we just move on.

Sergio Manzi

Nov 24, 2016, 1:53:52 PM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

As we say in Italy (I don't know the equivalent US way of saying...) "It is useless to cry on the spilled milk", meaning that what has been done, has been done and it's time to move forward.

So, how can this regression be fixed?

Can't we just temporarily revert to downloading from GitHub instead of ARS + S3, as is the case for the "testing" channel, until downloads.joomla.org has been fixed?

Michael Babker

Nov 24, 2016, 2:08:13 PM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
We are not reverting.  This isn't a major issue affecting the majority of users; it's isolated specifically to Windows platforms which represents a vast minority of the user base.  Additionally there is a code fix already merged to the update component for use in 3.7 and later that uses the response headers to get the correct filename which further downplays the urgency of this issue.

I am working on a solution and when one is found it will be fixed.  Changing the URL does not fix anything for us and in all actuality it hurts us (we start losing the data again that we had been losing for two years using GitHub as our download provider).

sovainfo

Nov 24, 2016, 2:24:24 PM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Just tested $basename = basename(preg_replace('/-zip\?.*/', '.zip', $packageURL));
Looks like it produces the correct filename. With this pattern it is not tied to the exact parameters of the url. To remove the depency completely one could add parameter patch=<filename of patch> and change the component to extract the filename. That makes the url irrelevant as long as it contains the patch parameter.

So, someone might document the depency in the correct place for the next change of the url.

And again, the issue is that the downloaded patch is not recognized by Joomla! Update because the filename is wrongly determined. This is for all platforms, for Windows the download also fails to be saved due to invalid filename

Consider the available workarounds for ALL platforms enough, no need to revert. Only to fixthe real issue: Properly determine the filename of the patch!

Michael Babker

Nov 24, 2016, 2:36:41 PM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
It is already fixed in staging, see https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/commit/7aa5e65f843758dcb68f33d1d34a989a3abce404

Which doesn't fix older versions.  THAT is why we need a server side fix.

sovainfo

Nov 24, 2016, 3:33:57 PM11/24/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Amazing, tried it on j2.5.28 and it produced the correct patch name.

With the PLT not being prepared to do what is expected of them, maybe there are others in the community that are willing to produce updates for several versions of Joomla! Update.

That would allow anyone to update the component first, so it recognizes the update and saves it with a proper name. Shouldn't take 4 months to produce them!

Webdongle Elgnodbew

On 2016-11-24 17:19, Michael Babker wrote:
When we launched the downloads site we changed serving the packages from GitHub to the downloads site.  That's why the URLs changed.

FWIW I asked in the JBS Glip chat for about a month before launching the site for folks to test updates using the site, and inherently that same URL structure.  Nobody reported an issue during that time so I'm going to assume all testing was done using non-Windows platforms.

Michael Babker

Nov 24, 2016, 6:32:14 PM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
It wouldn't be all that feasible.  You'd need three versions of the component minimum; one for all of 2.5, one for 3.0 and 3.1 (no 2FA login), and one for 3.2+ (with 2FA login), that latter one we have now but backporting all of the required changes for those other two conditions would not be a quick task and would take longer than me just investing time I don't have to getting Apache rewrite rules to work on the server and updating the update system XML files to adapt.

Michael Babker

Nov 24, 2016, 7:24:41 PM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not fond of it, but I've hacked the Akeeba Release System router to allow it to route by the real filename as well as the item alias.  So https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3/3-6-4/Joomla_3.6.4-Stable-Update_Package.zip should now work the same as https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3/3-6-4/joomla_3-6-4-stable-update_package-zip?format=zip&jcompat=my.zip (what we have plugged into the update server now) or https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3/3-6-4/joomla_3-6-4-stable-update_package-zip?format=zip (what the router generates from within the site natively).  So the filename route option will never actually be advertised either through the generated links, but it'll work.

https://github.com/joomla/update.joomla.org/pull/30 is the pull request to fix up the update server's XML files to use this option.  It should fix everything up correctly.

Sergio Manzi

Nov 24, 2016, 9:30:56 PM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

I'm not into ARS at all and thus I can't judge, but it sounds nice to me: using the plain filenames for URLs seems quite logical if there isn't any ill side effect...

Do you consider making a PR to ARS out of your "hack"?

Michael Babker

Nov 24, 2016, 9:38:29 PM11/24/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
No.  It's an awkward behavior specifically needed for Joomla and its update component and some of the features we offer, not something that's needed as a general use case.

Sergio Manzi

Nov 25, 2016, 12:32:34 PM11/25/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Another possible issue and I don't know if this is related to what we previously discussed (probably not):

Following what Kevin did, I switched my update channel to the "Testing" update channel and my test site (originally 3.4.8) was upgraded to 3.6.3-rc3

I didn't payed much attention to that, being focused on the fact that it did upgrade correctly, but I now realize that's an "old testing version" which predates the latest currently available version, 3.6.4.

I don't now how you want to categorize this behavior (expected/unexpected), but IMHO this isn't a "wise" choice.

Furthermore, I now switched back to the "Default" update channel but I'm told that I have the latest available version:

That's really unexpected, I guess...