Milestone information on github incorret!

sovainfo

Jun 8, 2016, 5:52:40 PM6/8/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Could somebody fix Github properly?

When viewing the milestones it doesn't show the correct information anymore. It used to correctly show which issues/PRs are open and closed.

Currently only shows the Release Blocker.

Michael Babker

Jun 8, 2016, 5:59:12 PM6/8/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Not everything is automatically assigned to a milestone.  Originally we only started doing it when pull requests were merged, then its use expanded.  Right now the only open issue assigned to the 3.6 milestone is https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/10552

What's your expectation?

sovainfo

Jun 8, 2016, 6:18:22 PM6/8/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
It to be like it was a couple of days ago!

It showed those PR's assigned to the milestone, both open and closed.
Now it only shows the open with 0 closed, which is wrong!

To see the closed you need to go back and pick the closed, that will allow you to switch to open, like it used to be for open..

When the number of open PR's changes, I check the closed to see what happened to them. It looks like several long standing PR's are just removed from the milestone.

Michael Babker

Jun 8, 2016, 6:54:04 PM6/8/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
If you set the search query to:

milestone:"Joomla 3.6.0"

It shows 1 open and 696 closed items.  With "is:issue" added to the filter it only shows the one item, whereas "is:pr" shows all the closed pull requests.

Unfortunately GitHub has a really bad way of trying to separate issues and PRs on a repo (to the point you have to bend over backwards to be able to do things like filter PRs by a label).  Depending on which link you click on the milestone page, you can either get the open issues (only issues) for a milestone, all open items for a milestone, or all closed items for a milestone.  Or use the search query and filter it yourself correctly.

That's a long standing usability bug with GitHub issues and why a lot of folks look at their issue/PR system as nothing more than a glorified todo list.

- Michael

Please pardon any errors, this message was sent from my iPhone.

sovainfo

Jun 8, 2016, 7:17:41 PM6/8/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
The first time I noticed this was when I received something completely different from what it used to be.
When clicking the Milestone label you used to get an overview of open and closed. A day later I received the Release blocker with 0 closed. Different but still wrong.
It is inconsitent with the information provided at the milestone and other functionality. That made me post here.
Now, I know how to get at the closed PR's and the information matches the milestone information, I just need to change my workflow.

Nevertheless, it is a change in behaviour and I don't consider it an improvement!

Michael Babker

Jun 8, 2016, 7:58:10 PM6/8/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Blame GitHub.  Sadly their track record of listening to user concerns isn't the greatest.

sovainfo

Jun 8, 2016, 8:13:12 PM6/8/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Was hoping it was under your control.
Already very clear they have a poor understanding of user requirements.

Does that also apply to the changes made to the filter? I mean that user input is changed !!!

sovainfo

Jun 9, 2016, 5:54:15 AM6/9/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
It is happening again: according to the milestone there are 3 open issues/pr's. Clicking on open only shows 1.

brian teeman

Jun 9, 2016, 6:15:34 AM6/9/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
On Thursday, 9 June 2016 10:54:15 UTC+1, sovainfo wrote:
It is happening again: according to the milestone there are 3 open issues/pr's. Clicking on open only shows 1.

To avoid confusion I am assuming you are using the issue tracker and not github?

On the issue tracker I see 3  open issues/pr's when I select 3.6 as a milestone

I dont understand what you mean by " Clicking on open only shows 1."

sovainfo

Jun 9, 2016, 6:20:29 AM6/9/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
No, not using issues.joomla.org, talking about GitHub.

Reported to them just now.

sovainfo

Jun 9, 2016, 6:29:45 AM6/9/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Thanks for pointing to issues.joomla.org.
It does provide the information Github used to!
Will change the workflow to issues instead of github.

brian teeman

Jun 9, 2016, 6:30:10 AM6/9/16
to Joomla! CMS Development

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 11:20:29 UTC+1, sovainfo wrote:
No, not using issues.joomla.org, talking about GitHub.

Reported to them just now.

OK - well nothing we can do although I still dont understand  what you mean as its working ok for me

sovainfo

Jun 9, 2016, 7:17:41 AM6/9/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
On github go to Milestones
Notice the 3 open and 697 closed.
Notice the difference between clicking on the closed and on open.
On closed you get 3 open & 697 closed
On open you get 1 open 0 closed
On label you get 1 open 0 closed

You should get 3 open & 697 closed
The open and label are limited on issues, see filter: is:issue
Which is wrong, it shouldn't filter on issue. It shouldn't impose the filter is:issue.
It only started to work like this on Sunday or Monday.

sovainfo

Jun 9, 2016, 7:32:11 AM6/9/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Reply from Github:

Sorry for the trouble on this one!

We have an issue opened internally to resolve this problem.

I can't promise an ETA but as soon as we have some news we'll be in touch.

Michael Babker

Jun 9, 2016, 8:34:20 AM6/9/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
The long and short on this is from https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/milestones if you click on either the milestone title or the # Open links you're taken to a list view with this search filter:

is:issue is:open milestone:"Joomla 3.6.0"

The "is:issue" part of that filter is what's causing the discrepancy.  Even worse is you can't take that out of the filter for open items; you HAVE to use either "is:issue" or "is:pr" in the search filter and you can ONLY show either open issues or open pull requests assigned to a milestone.  Making things even more annoying, you can have a filter like this:

is:closed milestone:"Joomla 3.6.0"

And it will show both closed issues and PRs for a milestone (I confirmed that against the issue tracker's repo, see https://github.com/joomla/jissues/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=milestone%3A%22Version+1.0%22+is%3Aclosed+ and that shows both issues and PRs closed against the Version 1.0 milestone).

So you have to really understand GitHub's UI and search filters to find this stuff sadly, and their forced separation of issues and PRs just makes things even worse.  Luckily, we didn't make such a hard distinction on the issue tracker.

Duke Speer

Jun 9, 2016, 10:47:11 AM6/9/16
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Insightful explanation - Thank you Michael

sovainfo

Jun 10, 2016, 5:28:32 AM6/10/16
to Joomla! CMS Development
Seems to be resolved. Works as expected, again.