Namespace used in upcoming joomla release

Izhar Aazmi

May 17, 2017, 11:48:26 AM5/17/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to know two things regarding the current dev strategy –

  1. In J3.8+, the library namespace `Joomla\CMS\` is used. Why not just `Joomla` instead? I'd like to know the considerations and intent behind it.

  2. If I add new classes in J3.7.x, can I already follow the namespace convention so that it doesn't go through class_alias mapping in 3.8 and beyond?

Allon Moritz

May 17, 2017, 11:57:41 AM5/17/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
  1. This was a decission made in a code sprint https://volunteers.joomla.org/teams/joomla-4-architecture/reports/115-joomla-4-architecture-sprint-odense-dk
  2. Do you mean classes in the core or your extension?

Izhar Aazmi

May 17, 2017, 12:00:16 PM5/17/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for not clarifying. In this mailing list I mean core changes (PR Joomla) unless otherwise specified.

Allon Moritz

May 17, 2017, 12:04:57 PM5/17/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I would say that it all depends on the pr you are doing, if it is worth to add that namespace already in 3.7 or not.

Niels Braczek

May 17, 2017, 12:21:07 PM5/17/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Am 17.05.2017 um 17:48 schrieb Izhar Aazmi:
> I just wanted to know two things regarding the current dev strategy –
>
> 1. In J3.8+, the library namespace `Joomla\CMS\` is used. Why not just
> `Joomla` instead? I'd like to know the considerations and intent behind it.

"Joomla" is the common vendor prefix for all Joomla projects (especially
the Framework). "Joomla\CMS" covers non-generic stuff only related to
the CMS.

> 2. If I add new classes in J3.7.x, can I already follow the namespace
> convention so that it doesn't go through class_alias mapping in 3.8 and
> beyond?

If it works: yes.
(I'm not sure if JLoader handles that correctly ATM).

Regards,
Niels

--
| New Stars on the Horizon: GreenCape · nibralab · laJoom |
| http://www.bsds.de · BSDS Braczek Software- und DatenSysteme |

George Wilson

May 17, 2017, 3:52:24 PM5/17/17
to Joomla! CMS Development, nbra...@bsds.de
It does work :)

Niels Braczek

May 17, 2017, 4:42:40 PM5/17/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Am 17.05.2017 um 21:52 schrieb George Wilson:

> It does work :)

Perfect - then go for it, I'd say.