Joomla4 web component template

Angie Radtke

Nov 22, 2017, 7:21:00 AM11/22/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi guys,

do you think it can be a good  idea to build a template using the web
component technique for joomla 4.

Greetings Angie

sup...@jlhwebdesigns.com

Nov 22, 2017, 10:19:02 AM11/22/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
For learning and experimentation, yes.

For anticipated production use -- not until Joomla 4 is further along in the
development cycle.

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Nov 22, 2017, 10:47:40 AM11/22/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Isn't that just an alternative to bootstrap ?

Michael Babker

Nov 22, 2017, 11:24:26 AM11/22/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
No.  Bootstrap is a CSS framework, Web Components are a technology.

dgt41

Nov 26, 2017, 6:41:30 AM11/26/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
As Michael Babker wrote: Bootstrap is a css framework from some respectful devs and web components is a technology (backed by ALL browsers) from W3C.
Plain english:
Bootstrap === random people's code
Web components === the PLATFORM

If you want to bet your money in Bootstrap prepare to loose them! Stay safe, stay close to the (native) platform technologies.
Also this brings up the question why is Joomla making the same mistake once again and endorsing a dying (before was mootools, css this time) framework, but I won't be the one to answer that.

Angie Radtke

Nov 26, 2017, 7:41:29 AM11/26/17
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

> Also this brings up the question why is Joomla making the *same
> mistake once again* and endorsing a dying (before was mootools, css
> this time) framework, but I won't be the one to answer that.
> --

Hi ,
I understand that especially for developers bootstrap brings many
advantages. You can build sites very quickly without having any design
skills.

Each web project has different technical requirements.
Especially when it comes to speed you have to think very carefully about
whether and how to use bootstrap.

The real idea behind the HTML and CSS concept was to separate content
from presentation.
If you are going to weight the CSS and the HTML files, the scale would
always turn in the direction of HTML.
You can see that very well on the Joomla backend. In order to adapt the
presentation to bootstrap 4, a lot of HTML files have to be touched.
It would be much more effective to change the CSS.

CSS has gained in complexity in recent years, which makes this task not
easier. Attaching classes to elements seems a lot easier.
But requires constant maintenance if anything has changed within the CSS
framework.

At that time, I would have liked to set up our own CSS framework, with
class names under our control.
That would make the maintenance easier. (One would not have to reinvent
the wheel and could fall back on an existing framework and use it as a
basis)

But alright, that's the old discussion.
For the frontend, it is important that frontend developers and designers
can use the technologie that make sense for their project.

Therefore I believe that it could be useful to provide various technical
possibilities in the form of different templates.

Angie

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Nov 26, 2017, 7:44:26 AM11/26/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
@dgt41

A link to the w3schools page (that you quoted from) would be helpful. the only reference I could find in w3.org was "Work on this document has been discontinued and it should not be referenced. Numerous online resources about Web Components are available, including the Web Components wiki." https://www.w3.org/TR/components-intro/

Is 'web components technology' something that would be in the Template only or something that could be incorporated into Joomla for 3rd party devs to display their extensions in a different manner ?

 I must be getting old ... I just started to get used to Bootstrap and now something new.

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Nov 26, 2017, 7:47:37 AM11/26/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
@a.radtke

Therefore I believe that it could be useful to provide various technical
possibilities in the form of different templates
That would be good if Joomla was shipped like that but who would write and maintain official Templates ?

dgt41

Nov 26, 2017, 11:40:32 AM11/26/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Probably this link from w3c: https://www.w3.org/standards/techs/components

@Angie most template clubs are against the bootstrap dictatorship, but totally ignored. Only time will reveal the true consequences of such decision.

Message has been deleted

Joerg

Dec 10, 2017, 5:24:21 PM12/10/17
to Joomla! CMS Development

On Sunday, 10 December 2017 23:17:20 UTC+1, Joerg wrote:

On Sunday, 26 November 2017 13:41:29 UTC+1, a.radtke wrote:

For the frontend, it is important that frontend developers and designers
can use the technologie that make sense for their project.

Therefore I believe that it could be useful to provide various technical
possibilities in the form of different templates.

Angie

Had a short look at the J4 admin template today. Seems to be still work in progress. But I know already that the lack of the Joomla top menu will negatively impact my daily work with my shopping cart extension, simply because the side menu will frequently hide a significant portion of the tables, taking away too much of the horizontal viewing area, despite being collapsible (The extension's most used menu is also a collapsible side menu).

Template fashions come and go and I know that flat template designs are now trendy. But some elements remind me of usability mistakes from the 1990s. (Apparently I'm getting old :-)
So yes, I would also appreciate at least one or two different admin templates. Template developers will probably offer a good choice of front-end templates soon after the stable release of J4.

Webdongle Elgnodbew

Dec 10, 2017, 6:55:30 PM12/10/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
@Joerg

Agree totally and would add that imho it's a bacward step not an innovative progression.

ssnobben

Dec 11, 2017, 5:33:18 AM12/11/17
to Joomla! CMS Development
Would there be a possible use/integrate easy for Joomla for these bootsnippets?

https://bootsnipp.com/

Design elements, playground and code snippets for Bootstrap HTML/CSS/JS framework

Joerg

Dec 11, 2017, 10:53:52 AM12/11/17
to Joomla! CMS Development

On Monday, 11 December 2017 00:55:30 UTC+1, Webdongle Elgnodbew wrote:
@Joerg

Agree totally and would add that imho it's a bacward step not an innovative progression.

I wouldn't be that harsh. The current J4 admin template does include some good ideas. However, one of my first thoughts was "If you let mobile  junkies design an admin template, the result will be a template for mobiles." :-) lol