Getting OpenOffice to work in CentOS

cwho80

Nov 11, 2008, 1:11:59 AM11/11/08
to JODConverter
Hi,

I have a CentOS installation on which I just put OpenOffice. I also
checked out the latest JODConverter 3.0 code off the google code
repository and tried it out - but am getting a particular exception:

at
org.artofsolving.jodconverter.AbstractConversionTask.execute(AbstractConversionTask.java:
71)
at
org.artofsolving.jodconverter.office.ExternalProcessOfficeManager.execute(ExternalProcessOfficeManager.java:
92)
at
org.artofsolving.jodconverter.OfficeDocumentConverter.convert(OfficeDocumentConverter.java:
64)
at
org.artofsolving.jodconverter.OfficeDocumentConverter.convert(OfficeDocumentConverter.java:
55)

does this ring a bell? I have gotten JODConverter 3.0 and OpenOffice
2.4.2 working fine on Ubuntu so I know it should work but I'm having
trouble figuring it out for CentOS.

As a check that I have the proper OOo installed:
[root@centos52]# rpm -qa | grep office
openoffice.org-core03-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core05-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core08-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core02-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core03u-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core04u-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core05u-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core07-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core09-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-headless-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core01-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core04-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core06-2.4.2-9364
openoffice.org-core10-2.4.2-9364

Now I know on Ubuntu there is an additional openoffice.org-java-common
package but it does not appear for the other distributions. Am I
lacking that or its not related to the exception above.

Thanks! I appreciate your help in figuring this one out.

ChunWei Ho

Nov 11, 2008, 2:50:26 AM11/11/08
to JODConverter
As an update, I've isolated the reason to a exception thrown just
before the null pointer exception occurs:

com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URL seems to be an unsupported one.
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.Job.remoteUnoRequestRaisedException(Job.java:187)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.Job.execute(Job.java:153)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.JobQueue.enter(JobQueue.java:349)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.JobQueue.enter(JobQueue.java:318)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.JavaThreadPool.enter(JavaThreadPool.java:106)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.bridges.java_remote.java_remote_bridge.sendRequest(java_remote_bridge.java:657)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.bridges.java_remote.ProxyFactory$Handler.request(ProxyFactory.java:159)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.bridges.java_remote.ProxyFactory$Handler.invoke(ProxyFactory.java:141)
at $Proxy86.loadComponentFromURL(Unknown Source)
at org.artofsolving.jodconverter.AbstractConversionTask.execute(AbstractConversionTask.java:63)
<- this line number might vary since I had to add code to print this.

The input URL looks like "file:///root/TestDoc1.doc", and I've checked
that the web application should be able to access that file.... I'm
not sure what is wrong here.

Mirko Nasato

Nov 11, 2008, 4:39:58 AM11/11/08
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking the time to try out the new JODConverter 3.0.

We shouldn't throw a NullPointerException of course, we should provide
a more meaningful error message whatever the cause is.

But are you sure that OOo has access to files in /root? I'm asking
because /root should normally be protected, and it's the OOo process
that needs access to it, not just the Java webapp.

Kind regards

Mirko

ChunWei Ho

Nov 12, 2008, 3:27:42 AM11/12/08
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, soffice is running as root at the moment, and I have ensured that
the input/output files are world-readable and writable, and tried
other areas, e.g.
file:///opt/TestDoc1.doc
file:///tmp/IDX48374CONV.txt
etc

Exception remains:

com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URL seems to be an unsupported one.
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.Job.remoteUnoRequestRaisedException(Job.java:187)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.Job.execute(Job.java:153)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.JobQueue.enter(JobQueue.java:349)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.JobQueue.enter(JobQueue.java:318)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.JavaThreadPool.enter(JavaThreadPool.java:106)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.bridges.java_remote.java_remote_bridge.sendRequest(java_remote_bridge.java:657)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.bridges.java_remote.ProxyFactory$Handler.request(ProxyFactory.java:159)
at com.sun.star.lib.uno.bridges.java_remote.ProxyFactory$Handler.invoke(ProxyFactory.java:141)

at $Proxy4.loadComponentFromURL(Unknown Source)
at org.artofsolving.jodconverter.AbstractConversionTask.execute(AbstractConversionTask.java:66)

Still getting the same issue here. Appreciate if you have any ideas.

Regards,
Chun

Mirko Nasato

Nov 12, 2008, 6:56:59 AM11/12/08
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I didnt notice the list of RPM packages before. You should
install openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-calc etc. as well.

Kind regards

Mirko

José Menezes

Mar 19, 2012, 3:44:51 PM3/19/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mirko, could you please publish all I need to install as well?

I use centos and am a linux newbie

José Menezes

Mar 19, 2012, 4:08:09 PM3/19/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com
I found what I need to install (just all components, like write... calc... impress... math...) but I really dont know how to.

Bob Miller

Mar 19, 2012, 4:15:48 PM3/19/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-yum.html

If you are new to linux and plan on using this at all I would read the rest of the guide as well as buying some books.

José Menezes

Mar 19, 2012, 5:55:00 PM3/19/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com, bobp...@bobprime.net
SOLUTIONED!

For 99,9% of the problems, the problem is wrong installation of OPENOFFICE and not anything due to JODCONVERTER

Matthew Scilipoti

Apr 26, 2012, 9:52:25 AM4/26/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com, bobp...@bobprime.net, jos...@gmail.com
I am running into this same "officeHome not found" issue on Centos, using ruby and docsplit.  Could you be more specific about your solution?  What was wrong about the installation?  What did you do to resolve it?

Thanks,
Matt

José de Menezes

Apr 26, 2012, 9:56:31 AM4/26/12
to Matthew Scilipoti, jodcon...@googlegroups.com, bobp...@bobprime.net
I installed all packages of OpenOffice, just that

Germano Fronza

Apr 26, 2012, 12:15:42 PM4/26/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com, Matthew Scilipoti, jodcon...@googlegroups.com, bobp...@bobprime.net
I've downloaded the rpm package and after that I entered the RPMS dir and I ran all the rpm files in it! Just as simple as that! The soffice.bin is located on /opt/openoofice3. If you are using iptables, don't forget to accept connections in 127.0.0.1 if you want to use it with jodconverter.

Enviado via iPad

Matthew Scilipoti

Apr 26, 2012, 3:20:48 PM4/26/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com, bobp...@bobprime.net, jos...@gmail.com
Besides installing all the required libraries (including headless), I found that (on Centos 6) I also had to create a symlink to ensure the open office program dir was in the search path for JODConverter, per the 2nd message on https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/jodconverter/-NPr9VOidXo.

    $ ln -s /usr/lib64/openoffice.org3 /usr/lib/openoffice