JoburgJS April meetup

Sergey Ilinsky

Apr 8, 2011, 12:12:01 PM4/8/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Fellows,

Hope everyone properly recovered after the awesomeness of JSinSA
conference! @simonstewart, have you?

Now, I'd like to suggest Wednesdays, 3rd week of the month (so it is
easy to remember!) as a day for our monthly meetups. wednesdays would
not interfere with possible corporative events and also leave enough
space for us in bars.
This month, April this would be 20th. What do you think?

First couple of meetups we could do extremely informal in a pub,
getting more [both interested and interesting] people involved, and
then gradually start looking for opportunities to using our offices
where we could run projects and technologies presentations too.

Does this sound like a plan? Anyone with a suggestion for a nice place
then? (I have Schwabing in mind on Main Avenue - you can also get
better German beers there!)

Sergey/

Danie Roux

Apr 8, 2011, 12:45:19 PM4/8/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com, Sergey Ilinsky
> Now, I'd like to suggest Wednesdays, 3rd week of the month (so it is
> easy to remember!)

I can not make that, I have another meeting on that schedule. Mondays
(1st and 4th) and Tuesdays are similarly tricky. Then again, getting a
perfect date is impossible :-)

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix - http://danieroux.com

Deon Heyns

Apr 8, 2011, 3:19:50 PM4/8/11
to joburg-js
1st Thursday of the month maybe? Wednesdays aren't good....

Andrew Timberlake

Apr 9, 2011, 12:01:34 PM4/9/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Wednesdays aren't great for me. 1st Thursday could work

Andrew Timberlake
Build your own website - http://clayhq.com
http://facebook.com/andrewtimberlake

Sergey Ilinsky

Apr 10, 2011, 11:50:22 AM4/10/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
More people to agree on 1st Thursday?

Sergey/

Jacques Bezuidenhout

Apr 11, 2011, 3:31:48 AM4/11/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Thursday should be good for me

Kobus Pretorius

Apr 11, 2011, 5:21:18 AM4/11/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Wednesday or Thursdays good for me.

Garren Smith

Apr 11, 2011, 6:36:48 AM4/11/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Isn't Ruby on Beer first Tuesday or is it Second Tuesday. I prefer Wednesday but will make a plan for Thursday I just cant make two user groups in one week.

Danie Roux

Apr 11, 2011, 6:38:31 AM4/11/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com, Garren Smith
> Isn't Ruby on Beer first Tuesday or is it Second Tuesday. I prefer Wednesday but will make a plan for Thursday I just cant make two user groups in one week.

Ruby on Beer is the first Tuesday.

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix - http://danieroux.com

Email / Google Talk / Jabber - da...@danieroux.com

Robert MacLean

Apr 11, 2011, 6:53:39 AM4/11/11
to joburg-js
Just my view point on this
- Date should be picked by who ever is going to run this. It takes
more work to run than attend and as correctly pointed out no date will
work for everyone so it should be optimized for those doing the work.
- Date also depends on venue availability
- Now how about the 2nd Tuesday of the month (this is not me ignoring
my first point or saying I will help run it) but Community Night is
the 2nd Tuesday which means free venue, food & beer. It also helps
with those who attend multiple user groups, not needing too many
nights out. Details on what it is: http://www.sadev.co.za/content/community-night-be-there

On Apr 11, 12:38 pm, Danie Roux <da...@danieroux.com> wrote:
> > Isn't Ruby on Beer first Tuesday or is it Second Tuesday. I prefer Wednesday but will make a plan for Thursday I just cant make two user groups in one week.
>
> Ruby on Beer is the first Tuesday.
>
> --
> Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix -http://danieroux.com

Garren Smith

Apr 11, 2011, 7:16:04 AM4/11/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Robert raises some excellent points there. I agree/happy with that.

FuzzYspo0N

Apr 11, 2011, 7:33:39 AM4/11/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Just a note, The IGDA/Microsoft community meetups for game developers is
every 2nd tuesday,
So that will count out any game guys doing html5/js/node.js.

Including me, as I am involved in keeping that rolling in a sense.

Jaco Pretorius

Apr 11, 2011, 8:23:09 AM4/11/11
to joburg-js
I would also vote for anything not on a Wednesday

jfreislich

Apr 11, 2011, 1:15:13 PM4/11/11
to joburg-js
Count me in for the meetup. I can shuffle things around a bit, so am
flexible about timing. The free venue is definitely a plus for it
being second tuesday.

Second Tuesday is tomorrow. Any takers, or are we waiting till next
month?

Robert MacLean

Apr 12, 2011, 3:15:32 AM4/12/11
to joburg-js
The gamedev guys start quiet late (18:30 I think) so you could do
anytime before that as the venue is available from 16h30
> > Robert raises some excellent points there. I agree/happy with that.- Hide quoted text -

Garren Smith

Apr 12, 2011, 4:39:03 AM4/12/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
I think lets start next month and we can plan something fun for the first meeting. Maybe a cool tutorial or something where everyone can code something together.

jfreislich

Apr 12, 2011, 4:43:23 AM4/12/11
to joburg-js
Can we perhaps discuss the agenda for the meeting?

I could lead some workshop style training or demonstrate some patterns
that can be expanded on in further discussion. I could also showcase
some ExtJs if folks would like to see that in action.

Garren Smith

Apr 13, 2011, 6:52:08 AM4/13/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Is everyone happy for our first meetup to be May 2nd Tuesday which is the 10th? What time I prefer slightly later so 7pm what does everyone else prefer? We happy to meet at Microsoft? Sounds like a nice convenient place and free beer is always a win.

Jacques Bezuidenhout

Apr 13, 2011, 7:50:49 AM4/13/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me ... I just read "May 2nd Tuesday the 10th" .... "free beer"

Deon Heyns

Apr 13, 2011, 7:52:26 AM4/13/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
FREE BEER!!! I'm in.

Kobus Pretorius

Apr 13, 2011, 8:53:41 AM4/13/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Count me in! I also prefer the later time, and I also prefer free beer :-)

Sergey Ilinsky

Apr 13, 2011, 9:12:30 AM4/13/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!

Can we run a couple of presentations there as well?

Sergey/

Message has been deleted

Garren Smith

Apr 13, 2011, 2:30:52 PM4/13/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, how about 3 or 4, 15 min burst presentations on anything js related?

Joshua you keen to present on something? Sergey anything cool to present on? Anyone else?

FuzzYspo0N

Apr 13, 2011, 2:39:46 PM4/13/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Iv written an event based game engine using javascript (powered by v8). Might be of interest

If its at MS in bryanston, ill be there for the game dev meet up anyway, so could easily come by a while.

jfreislich

Apr 14, 2011, 4:30:15 AM4/14/11
to joburg-js
the event based game engine sounds very interesting. I'll demo some
ExtJs / Sencha work. Hopefully a Sencha touch app, otherwise a simple
application ExtJs implementation.

Garren Smith

Apr 14, 2011, 5:00:55 AM4/14/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Both ideas sound awesome. I like it.

Sergey Ilinsky

Apr 16, 2011, 10:10:43 AM4/16/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Garren,

Could you please share with the group more details about the address
and access to the meetup place?

Sergey/

Garren Smith

Apr 18, 2011, 5:15:11 AM4/18/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
I actually think Robert would be able to give better directions etc. But basically its the Microsoft Campus in Bryanston along William Nicol.

FuzzYspo0N

Apr 18, 2011, 6:01:27 AM4/18/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Its 3012 William Nicol , Bryanston

Google maps should give you what you need... Its a block or two from the
offramp.

Robert MacLean

Apr 19, 2011, 3:28:13 AM4/19/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Address: Microsoft Bryanston Office
3012 William Nicol Drive
Bryanston
2191 Johannesburg
South Africa
Map attached
map.gif

Garren Smith

Apr 21, 2011, 4:58:53 AM4/21/11
to jobu...@googlegroups.com
Spoke to Dave at Microsoft. Should be all sorted for May. Thanks Robert for setting that up, appreciate the help.