Begin Your Career in LGBTQ Activism with Fund for Equality

The Public Interest Network

Apr 24, 2017, 9:24:00 AM4/24/17
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT
Canvass Director for Fund for Equality

There’s no sugarcoating it: The election results are profoundly disappointing. We woke up to a President who denies climate change and stands with coal and dirty energy. We woke up to a country whose politics are more divided than ever. We need passionate hardworking people to tip the scale back in the public interest. Take the first step by submitting your application to: bit.ly/FundforEqualityApplication

Fund for Equality, a project of Fund for the Public Interest, runs canvass offices on behalf of the Human Rights Campaign to build people power for equality. As a canvass director, you’ll build a team to win equal rights for the LGBTQ community in one of our campaign offices across the country. You’ll recruit, hire and manage a campaign staff of 10 to 40 people. You and your staff will raise money, sign up members, and build clout in the community through canvassing neighborhoods to educate citizens about the issues and get them involved in campaigns to win real change on behalf of the Human Rights Campaign.

In essence, your job is to build a team of committed activists who mobilize thousands of citizens to take action for equality and work toward a day where LGBTQ Americans are ensured basic equal rights.
It’s definitely not your typical entry-level job. It’s a campaign environment, and we’ll give you more responsibility than you probably thought you could handle. So you’ll have to think on your feet and be ready to put in the hours it’ll take to make a difference on these campaigns. But the most rewarding part of the job is that at the end of the day, you’ll know you’re making a significant difference — not just on the issues you’re working on, but also for the staff you’re training and the people you’re talking to in the community.

TRAINING
We have an excellent training program — it’s one of the things for which we’re most widely recognized. All positions have a month-long initial training, most of which is spent working in an existing field office and getting hands- on training. After that, we follow up with a classroom-style training.
Throughout the year, new and experienced canvass directors will participate in advanced trainings on staff management, canvassing, campaign strategy, media and public speaking.

LOCATIONS
We work on the campaigns that we think are the most pressing, and set up our ground operations where we think we can make the biggest difference. We are running campaigns in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Manhattan, Miami and Washington, D.C.

PAY AND BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for Canvass Directors is $27,000 – $30,500 in the first year, depending on the position.  The Fund offers a competitive benefits package.  We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement

RESPONSIBILITIES
As a canvass director you will run a local campaign office to build people power on behalf of the Human Rights Campaign. You will be responsible for hiring, training and managing a staff of canvassers. You’ll also recruit supporters, raise money and mobilize thousands of people to take action. Being a director requires that you work independently, exercising good judgment and discretion to meet the office’s staffing, campaign and field work goals.

MEET GOALS FOR YOUR CAMPAIGN
Reach or exceed your office’s fundraising and membership goals. Most offices have goals of educating 100,000 people, gathering 35,000 political actions, raising $250,000 and identifying 5,000 members each year.

RECRUIT, TRAIN AND MANAGE A STAFF OF CANVASSERS
•    Recruit, hire and manage a campaign staff of 10-40 staff
•    Train staff on effective canvassing and campaigning techniques
•    Run staff meetings and skills trainings
•    Arrange expert briefings and issue workshops to educate and motivate staff
•    Evaluate staff performance and give ongoing feedback
•    Identify strong staff, teach them leadership skills, and promote from within

CANVASS
Lead by example. Canvass two to three times a week so you can train new staff; evaluate current staff; raise money; identify and activate members; and educate the public on the issues.

OVERSEE ADMINISTRATION
•    Oversee administrative functions related to campaign goals, staff management, fundraising and membership development, and general office management
•    Ensure that funds raised and member information collected securely gets to the Human Rights Campaign
•    Complete your staff’s payroll accurately and in a timely fashion

Take the first step by submitting your application to: bit.ly/FundforEqualityApplication

Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.