Friends of the Earth U.S. hiring TPP organizer in North Carolina

Jennifer Bock

Aug 26, 2016, 5:52:01 PM8/26/16
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

Grassroots Organizer

Position: Contract organizer
Location: NC ideally in the area of Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill.

Friends of the Earth-U.S., founded by David Brower in 1969, is the U.S. voice of the world’s largest federation of grassroots environmental groups, with a presence in 75 countries. Friends of the Earth works to defend the environment and champion a more healthy and just world. We are a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for more than 45 years, resulting in landmark environmental laws, precedent-setting legal victories and groundbreaking reforms of domestic and international regulatory, corporate and financial institution policies.

To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. Our current campaigns focus on promoting clean energy and solutions to climate change, ensuring the food we eat and products we use are sustainable and safe for our health and the environment, and protecting marine ecosystems and the people who live and work near them.

Basic function

We are seeking to hire a talented and dedicated organizer to do a six-month contract as a Friends of the Earth grassroots organizer focused on generating environmental pressure to address the impacts of trade including working to stop the TPP. The goals of the organizer will be to locally recruit new volunteers, develop leaders, and collaborate with allies on behalf of Friend of the Earth focusing that organizing on the urgent issue of free trade. We are looking for an experienced organizer who can created the needed impact and help us maximizing the impact of our organizing model.

Principal duties and responsibilities

·         Recruit, train and activate local volunteers

·         Develop grassroots leaders.

·         Organize and mobilize a broad, diverse and powerful base of supporters and allies in support of policy campaigns.

·         Coordinate and collaborate with a wide variety of allies (environmental, environmental justice, food justice, farming, gardening, food, consumer, faith-based, labor, parents, women’s, social justice, student, health, scientists, sustainable businesses, etc.).

·         Coordinate events such as organizing meetings, rallies, weeks of action, panel discussions, film screenings,.

·         Coordinate and implement grassroots and grasstops organizing and public education campaigns.

·         Other responsibilities as assigned.

Requirements

·         Two or more years of experience in grassroots/field organizing,

Skills and knowledge

·         A demonstrated commitment to the environment and social justice.

·         Experience in grassroots organizing, recruitment, and leadership development.

·         Experience in organizing events including protests, rallies, and actions on key issues.

·         Desire to have a major impact on policy debates through hard-hitting advocacy.

·         Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire trust and respect among colleagues and external partners.

·         Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at once in a self-directed manner, ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team, ability to work in coordination with a diverse group of coalition partners and ability to work effectively in a changing environment.

·         Sophisticated oral and written communication skills and comfort with presenting material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, businesses and government officials.

·         Excellent decision-making skills, professional initiative, time management, prioritization and networking skills, demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity.

This is a six month contract with Friends of the Earth. The contract will be commensurate with experience.

To apply: Send an email with your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample to foeorg...@gmail.com

Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.