Union of Concerned Scientists Western States Outreach Assistant (Six-Month Paid Internship)

Coreen Weintraub

Dec 2, 2016, 12:35:45 AM12/2/16
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

The Position

The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.

The Western States Outreach Assistant is a full-time six-month internship within the western states outreach team of UCS’s Climate and Energy program, assisting staff with planning and implementing outreach campaigns that harness the power of the “clean energy transition” taking place across the country and contribute to a resilient water system in the face of climate change. You will contribute creative ideas, research, logistical and administrative support to campaigns, and activate our network of scientists to support local, state and regional policy solutions that fight global warming, promote clean energy for all, and prepare California for a climate changed future.

Responsibilities

  • Draft and send action alerts and event invitations, and communicate with UCS supporters and scientists to recruit them for events and actions;
  • Support collaboration with partner organizations through meetings, strategy sessions, materials production, and joint event planning;
  • Set up and recruit for online and in-person events and trainings;
  • Assist with planning for UCS presence at conferences, including logistical and outreach support;
  • Research and compile information for factsheets, blogs, and social media use; with potential for some Spanish language materials and/or communication;
  • Assist UCS staff—particularly Western States Director—with administrative needs; and
  • Participate in planning and strategy meetings.

Qualifications and experience

  • Strong written and verbal communication skills required. Ability to communicate effectively with professionals who may be expert and/or prominent in their fields.
  • Experience with public interest campaigns and organizing are a plus.
  • Interest in and basic knowledge of climate change and clean energy in the US.
  • Bachelor’s degree preferred.
  • Spanish language fluency preferred.
  • Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.

May spend extended periods at computer terminal, as well as occasional lifting of heavy objects. Occasional regional travel may be required (no overnights expected).

At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.

UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive.  We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.

Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time, six-month, benefits-eligible internship based in UCS’s Oakland office. The internship is expected to run February - July, 2017. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is the equivalent of $15 per hour, $31,200 annually. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.

To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and how you learned about the position via email to jo...@ucsusa.org and include “Western States Outreach Assistant” in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: December 18, 2016 or until filled.