Field Organizer, Metro Justice, Rochester, New York, United States, 14602

SEIU

Jul 29, 2016, 4:57:50 PM7/29/16
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

Metro Justice

Fight for 15 and a Union (Fast food workers' campaign)

Job Title: Field Organizer
Position Reports to: Lead Organizer

Position Location: Rochester, NY Start Date: As soon as possible

Field Organizer Rochester, NY

Rochester Organizing for Social, Economic, and Racial Justice!

Metro Justice is a member-driven, grassroots organization dedicated to social, economic, and racial justice in Rochester, NY. Founded in 1965, as Friends of FIGHT, in a struggle for equal access to good jobs at Kodak, our organization was born fighting for justice and equality for all people.

Since that time, Metro Justice has evolved, taking on many important issues and growing as we go. Today, with around 1,000 members our Fight for Economic Justice Campaign works to put an end to the incredible wealth inequality and the poverty that our city experiences as a result of that inequality.

We are looking for enthusiastic, passionate, and dedicated worker organizers to join our team. Past organizing experience is strongly preferred but not necessary. Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.

Basic function:

Field organizers will be tasked with supporting the national field organizing team—empowering low wage workers to organize their coworkers to demand living wages and dignity on the job. Under the direction of the Field Director you will reach out to fast food workers across the city and help offer workers organizing tools and tactics for them to build the low wage worker movement.

Principal duties and responsibilities:

* Reach out and build a community of fast food worker leaders to organize their industry
* Participate in all necessary team meetings, trainings, and conference calls
* Help workers build confidence in their organizing abilities and help educate workers on their rights on the job
* Organize and coordinate regular meetings with worker leaders
* Turn out to solidarity actions and help build the broader progressive, anti­racist worker­led movement across the state
* As part of our commitment to economic justice we do not have an educational requirement. Relevant organizing experience is a
plus.

Skills and abilities:
* Must be comfortable working within an anti­racist, anti­sexist work environment
* Ability to travel [must have vehicle and valid driver's license]
* Experience with community outreach and engagement
* A hard worker who is eager to learn and is enthusiastic about taking on work ranging from challenging, intellectually stimulating tasks
to more routine responsibilities
* Politically savvy, with at least a basic knowledge of unions, organizing, labor history, and national politics
* Energy and enthusiasm as well as an interest in social change issues and advocacy

Salary:
This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Full time position is subject to trial period of 90 days.

Metro Justice is an Equal Opportunity Employer

Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/2bh9g9kq9w

PI94916742