Union Organizer, SEIU Healthcare 1199NW, Washington State

Penny Lowry

Sep 3, 2015, 9:08:17 PM9/3/15
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

Jobs & Training with Progressive Union: SEIU Healthcare 1199NW!

This summer and fall, over 15,000 Registered Nurses, technicians, caregivers, housekeepers and other staff at some of Puget Sounds’ largest health systems including: Swedish, Harborview, Group Health, Valley Medical Center, Northwest Hospital & Highline Medical Center will be bargaining to improve jobs and care in our communities.  These groundbreaking campaigns have resulted in 1199NW expanding and opening up NEW organizing positions throughout the region.

SEIU Healthcare 1199NW also has a dynamic and fast paced organizing team that has successfully won multiple union elections & first contracts in the last two years, resulting in over 2000 newly organized workers joining the labor movement and making changes in their communities & work lives.  This fall and winter multiple organizing campaigns are expected to move to election!  New or experienced organizers can be part of a team that engages workers from the very beginning of the organizing process and see first-hand the transformative power of workers uniting across differences and taking action.

Healthcare workers are fun and rewarding to engage and work with.  Through workplace organizing they build respect and equity for the important work done by a majority female workforce. SEIU Healthcare 1199NW believes in a leadership model that develops the voice and skills of our diverse membership to lead in the workplace and in the larger community on social justice initiatives particularly around immigration reform and affordable health care for all.

There are newly created positions available in both our internal and external organizing departments to join existing teams in achieving historic victories for working people in 2015.  Women & candidates of color are encouraged to apply. Labor or community organizing experience preferred but not required. Competitive salary and highly generous benefit package available, commensurate with experience.  Full posting at: www.unionjobs .com and www.seiu1199nw.org

If you want to learn more about organizing, but aren’t sure if you have the experience to jump in head first we also have a really great training program.  Our national union partners with 1199NW here in Washington State and offers a limited number of organizer-in-training positions. The program offers competitive pay, full benefits and job placement for folks who want to participate in a program that offers training and mentoring to those new to the labor movement.   In order to be considered for this program applicants should submit a resume and cover letter and would need to be available Wednesday, September 9th for informational session.   If folks are interested but now isn't the right time please consider forwarding or referring because additional informational sessions will be held in the winter and spring?

We are also always happy to meet with people for coffee to discuss organizing careers - so if you know folks, who are passionate, committed and want to have a positive impact on social and economic inequality - let them know about UNION ORGANIZING!  It's awesome!   Thank you so much!  If you know anyone now or in the future who should consider organizing with 1199NW please feel free to pass along my info.