[CA Labor Fed hiring in Oakland] Paid Campaign Communications Intern

Rachel

May 27, 2016, 7:15:53 PM5/27/16
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

Hi folks,

The California Labor Federation is hiring! We are seeking a Northern California Field Director, Director of Finance and Administration and a Campaign Communications Intern (paid).

Please see job descriptions at the link and help us recruit top notch candidates to help in the fight for working families across California! Visit --> http://bit.ly/CLFJobOpportunities

I’ve included the Campaign Communications Intern description below.  I got started in the labor movement years ago in this position and can personally vouch for how it's great intro to the world of labor, politics, and communications! This internship is paid and based out of our lovely Oakland office near Lake Merritt. Please forward to anyone who might be interested.

Campaign Communications Intern

Duration:    June-November
Stipend:   $15 per hour
Deadline for Applications: June 10, 2016
Start Date:    June 2016

The California Labor Federation seeks a part-time intern to join our communications team working on special projects related to 2016 legislative and political campaigns and events. The intern will assist on Labor Federation special projects and initiatives to deliver internal and external communications to a range of audiences including affiliated unions, union members, the general public, opinion leaders and others as part of the 2016 legislative and political campaigns. As part of the communications team, the intern will be on the front lines in the fight to advance labor’s legislative and political agenda, and will play a key role in helping with the Federation’s efforts to enhance its communication to students and young workers.

The internship requires a minimum of 15 hours per week to explore and be part of the dynamic new labor movement while developing specific communications skills. This is a paid internship, and course credit may apply. Position is based in the Federation’s Oakland office. Some travel within California is required.

Special project/campaign duties include:
• Assisting with rapid response as part of the Federation’s 2016 political campaign;
• Blogging for Federation blog and other progressive blogs, and assisting with managing and editing the Federation blog;
• Assisting with the coordination and updating of our website;
• Helping to manage Federation’s social networking presence related to campaigns;
• Research on political candidates and issues;
• Campaign/election/GOTV assistance (office and field) as needed;
• Monitoring campaign press coverage of unions;
• Assisting with outreach to reporters on campaign events and actions;
• Helping to stage events, conventions and press conferences;
• Working on video projects and slideshows for events, campaigns and conferences;
• Assisting with the production of flyers and background materials;
• Helping to develop and distribute updates and newsletters to unions and members

Qualifications:
The intern should be an effective communicator with knowledge of the California political landscape and a deep interest in addressing issues affecting working people. Those pursuing majors in -- or recent graduates with degrees in -- journalism, communications, political science or related fields of study are preferred.  Previous experience with unions, progressive organizations, student labor coalitions, political campaigns or community organizations allied with labor is a plus.

People of color, bilingual applicants, and women are encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position, a resume, and a writing sample (1000 words max) by June 10 to Steve Smith, Director of Communications, at ssm...@calaborfed.org or 1127 11th St. #425, Sacramento, CA 95814