Tax & Budget National Campaign Director, U.S. PIRG,Washington, DC, Chicago, or Boston.

sarahp1013

Oct 5, 2015, 1:04:05 PM10/5/15
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

U.S. PIRG is hiring a National Campaign Director to lead our national Tax & Budget campaigns. We’re looking for an experienced advocate to direct campaign strategy, influence stakeholders, organize key constituencies, build coalitions, evaluate policy choices, fundraise, and develop staff.

The Tax & Budget National Campaign Director will take on one of the most important issues facing our democracy.  Tax and budget decisions are the most concrete way that communities declare priorities and balance competing values.  Unfortunately, government decisions about how to raise revenue and support public functions often fail to best advance the public interest.

The Tax & Budget National Campaign Director will confront these issues head-on by overseeing tax and budget campaigns built on good government issues, where the general public agrees with our position and we can make tangible social change. This starts with transparency: it is impossible to ensure government decisions serve the public interest unless information is publicly accessible.  Likewise, private companies that receive contracts and subsidies must be held accountable  to specific performance measures. Government spending and tax incentives should encourage actions that are good for society and the environment, while discouraging bad behaviors, like oil spills or bank scams. Finally, companies should prosper based on their efficiency and innovation, not because their high-powered lobbyists and accountants enable them to use offshore tax havens and shell companies to dodge their taxes.

Responsibilities

  • Program development: Evaluate the research on the issue, create viable policy solutions, and propose the right political strategy and messaging.
  • Advocacy: Take our policies directly to key decision-makers in regulatory agencies, statehouses, in Congress or wherever important decisions are being made.
  • Campaign Strategy: Assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media coverage, and message development.
  • Media Outreach: Serve as a chief spokesperson for our campaigns through tactics like media events, press releases and editorial board meetings.
  • Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff, and meet with major donors. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and develop our membership base.
  • Staff recruitment and development: Recruit new staff and volunteers. Oversee program staff to develop and implement work plans; provide training and leadership development opportunities.

Qualifications

Candidates must have at least 8 years of relevant professional experience. Advanced degrees like a JD or a master’s degree are preferred, but not required. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to citizen-based social change, as well as a track record of leadership. We're looking for people who are goal-driven and results-oriented, who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work. Experience with related policy issues and how Washington, DC or statehouses work preferred.

Salary & Benefits

Salary for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. US PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. Eligible staff receive health insurance, paid holidays, sick days, vacation days, and the opportunity to enroll in our college loan assistance and 401(k) programs. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.

Location:

Washington, DC, Chicago, or Boston.

Application:

Please apply using our online application @ http://bit.ly/1JagcSa

Direct your application to Andre Delattre, Executive Director of U.S. PIRG.

U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.