Deputy Director, Toxics Action Center, Boston, MA, Montpelier, VT, or Portland, ME

sarahp1013

Oct 5, 2015, 2:53:15 PM10/5/15
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Toxics Action Center, a New England-wide nonprofit public health and environmental organization, seeks a dynamic leader and experienced community organizer who is ready to go where the fight is and knows that it takes an engaged and active citizenry to make our democracy work, hold polluters accountable, and win real results for our health and the environment. Corporate polluters will go to great lengths to avoid responsibility for their messes, and government bureaucracies are slow to act. Building powerful local organizations and empowering communities to take action are critical for us to win against powerful special interests.  The Deputy Director directs our New England team, overseeing staff while driving forward our unique community organizing program, building Toxics Action Center’s effectiveness and visibility, strengthening our partnerships, and advancing our mission. The Deputy Director can be based in Boston, MA, Montpelier, VT, or Portland, ME and will report directly to the Executive Director, Sylvia Broude.

Background:

At Toxics Action Center, we start from the core belief that everyone has the right to breathe clean air, drink clean water, and live in a healthy community where government operates responsively and democratically. For the last 28 years, our mission has been to make these rights a reality by organizing side by side residents who are facing toxic threats to build their capacity and power. We train groups in the skills and know-how they need to run effective local campaigns, while also developing long-term leaders to fuel New England's progressive movements. Our work has helped groups win hundreds of local victories: we prevented radioactive waste dumps from being built across Massachusetts, won fights against incinerators and landfills and for zero waste across the region, won retirement of three coal-fired power plants in Massachusetts, and organized with citizens in South Portland to stop Exxon Mobil’s plans to bring tar sands into Maine.

Key Responsibilities:

·       Staff management and training: Oversee as many as five organizers based in communities across New England. Provide them with the management, training, and support that they need to organize and win campaigns. You’ll travel one to two days a week for site visits with your staff, you‘ll manage in-person staff meetings and trainings, and you’ll run conference calls and frequent phone meetings with your staff.

·       Strategic planning and program development: Be part of the team that sets the organization’s agenda. Identify the biggest local environmental threats, find solutions, and work with organizers to enter communities while building relationships with key local leaders. You will respond to threats as they arise and also seek new opportunities for campaign development.

·       Community organizing training and leadership development: Conduct group training consultations on campaign skills and one-on-one coaching and leadership development sessions with group leaders.

·       Coordinate coalitions: Work with the traditional environmental community, volunteer activists, and unlikely allies to build public support to influence decision-makers to support zero waste solutions, curbing pesticide spraying, and chemical reform.

·       Communications and organizational visibility: Work to increase the organization’s media presence and name recognition through events, news releases, and one-on-one meetings, along with improving the organization’s online presence and printed materials.

·       Fundraising: Build lasting relationships in the funder community and build resources for your work through foundations, major donors, canvassing, event planning and other grassroots fundraising opportunities.

Qualifications:
Candidates must have at least 4 years of organizing experience, including community organizing, campus organizing, campaign coordination, environmental advocacy, or coalition-building. Community organizing experience is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate is passionate about community organizing and movement building and has a track record of accomplishment, and an ability to work effectively with all different types of people. If you have less experience, you can apply for our Community Organizer job at www.toxicsaction.org/opportunities.

Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience. Toxics Action Center offers a competitive benefits package. Eligible staff receive health insurance, paid holidays, sick days, vacation days, and the opportunity to enroll in our college loan assistance and 401(k) programs. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.

To Apply:
Apply online at http://bit.ly/1Rr7W6I

Direct your application to Sylvia Broude, Executive Director.  We’ll review your application, and if we are if we are interested in discussing your candidacy further, we will be in touch with you shortly.

Toxics Action Center is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to a diverse workplace and a diverse movement. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.