Internships on a Millennial Driven Campaign to Solve America's Fiscal Crisis! (DC)

Jake Parent

Aug 21, 2012, 10:50:11 PM8/21/12
to jobstha...@googlegroups.com
A group of Millennials is launching a campaign called "The Can Kicks Back" to get young people around the country involved in pushing for a non-partisan "grand bargain" to fix our fiscal future. Among our board of advisers is Erskine Bowles (Clinton's Chief of Staff), former Senator Alan Simpson, former Senator Evan Bayh, Former Comptroller General David Walker, and Third-Way Founder Jonathan Cowan.

This is an exciting opportunity to learn how to run a winning campaign and a chance to make a better future for our country.

We are looking for interns to do work in communications, outreach, and field. Please see descriptions and details about applying below.

Jake Parent
Communications Director
The Can Kicks Back

The Can Kicks Back (TCKB) is a Millennial-driven campaign to solve America's fiscal crisis. Although young people have the most to lose by continuing on our current path, no one has taken the time to connect the issue to our lives or given us a way to get involved. Until now.

TCKB is building a grassroots coalition across the country, made up of Millennials, to push for a grand bargain on the debt that will restore accountability, prosperity, and peace of mind to our country.

We are looking for both full-time and part-time interns to become part of our dynamic team.

Communications Internship

The organization’s communications efforts are focused on getting our message out in print, radio, television, and online. Examples of duties include:

 ·         Writing and proofreading press releases, media advisories, blog posts, letters, etc.

 ·         Pitching stories and events to reporters

 ·         Photographing and videotaping press conferences and other events and preparing photos/footage for use by our campaign

 ·         Providing administrative support with research, database management, press list maintenance and data entry, among other tasks

 ·         Helping maintain our Twitter, Facebook and other social media accounts

Qualifications

 ·         Must be at least a junior undergraduate with 3.0 GPA or above and have a solid knowledge of national political issues. Graduate students preferred

 ·         Should be comfortable in a start-up type environment where things change rapidly. An ability to innovate is key

 ·         Outstanding research, writing, and analytical skills, as well as an excellent attention to detail, are imperative

 ·         Previous experience on a campaign or in a press office is preferred, but not required

 ·         If you have special experience (photography, video editing, Adobe suite products, etc) please mention it in your cover letter!

A monthly stipend may be available for top candidates

To apply, please send your resume along with a cover letter stating your availability and why you’d be a good fit for this position to: ja...@thecankicksback.org.  Please also include a brief writing sample, preferably one related to communications work.

Position is based in Washington, DC.

Field Internship

The organization’s field operation is in charge of empowering and supporting Millennials to organize in their communities.  Examples of duties include:

·         Mapping out national support network and working with TCKB to develop overall field strategy

·         Recruiting and training young leaders on college campuses and in young professional communities nationwide

·         Developing, maintaining, and distributing innovative organizing tools and materials, both online and offline

·         Engaging organizers through regular conference calls, online activities, and community events

·         Providing administrative support with research, database management, and data entry, among other tasks

Qualifications

·         Must be at least a junior undergraduate with 3.0 GPA or above and have a solid knowledge of national political issues. Graduate students preferred

·         Should be comfortable in a start-up type environment where things change rapidly. An ability to innovate is key

·         Outstanding research, writing, and analytical skills, as well as an excellent attention to detail, are imperative

·         Previous experience on a campaign is preferred, but not required

A monthly stipend may be available for top candidates

To apply, please send your resume along with a cover letter stating your availability and why you’d be a good fit for this position to: ja...@thecankicksback.org

Position is based in Washington, DC.

Outreach Internship

The organization’s outreach efforts are focused on developing strategic relationships with external partners. Examples of duties include:

  • Developing relationships with college and young professional leaders around the country
  • Developing and planning events
  • Executing our organizational fundraising strategy

·         Providing administrative support with research, database management, data entry, and other tasks

Qualifications:

·         Must be at least a junior undergraduate with 3.0 GPA or above and have a solid knowledge of national political issues. Graduate students preferred

·         Should be comfortable in a start-up type environment where things change rapidly. An ability to innovate is key

·         Outstanding research, writing, and analytical skills, as well as an excellent attention to detail, are imperative

·         Previous campaign or other coalition building experience is highly preferred

·         Must be comfortable talking on the phone with people from different parts of the country and relating with a wide scope of political ideologies

·         Should be comfortable using Microsoft Excel